Publishing programs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new publishing program (not all my reasons for buying this are B&B related). I haven't purchased a new publishing program in over 4 years, so I feel a little out of my league. I'd like to be able to design flyers, brouchres, business cards, logos, and the like, in a high quality, professional way.
Anyone have any good recommendations?
Thanks in advance

Hi Penelope
I'm new here. I have a B&B in Albuquerque, and I am a recovering graphic artist. What were you using before, and what platform are you on, mac or pc?

Well the easiest and simplest is MS PUBLISHER. It has always been a good program for me. I am not a designer, but I use their templates as a starting point for things I want to do. Lots of really cool templates on line now...which is making me want to actually get Office 2007
But if you want High end, I would suspect InDesign would be a good choice. More than I need or want to pay:-( http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/

I was thinking about MS Publisher.
Adobenido- I have a small business that I do from my house on MY time. I do small websites and some flyers, business cards...that sort of thing. Well, the problem, and I'll use that term lightly, is that my business is growing. I don't do any advertising. I only do referral work. My referrers are getting more gabby apparently. I'm getting calls for work, which is great.
The next step for me is to buy a more up-to-date program so that I can keep up with my competitiors (of which there are officially three in my area).
MS Publisher was the route I was thinking about taking, but I wasn't sure if it was still the best.

Adobenido- I have a small business that I do from my house on MY time. I do small websites and some flyers, business cards...that sort of thing. Well, the problem, and I'll use that term lightly, is that my business is growing. I don't do any advertising. I only do referral work. My referrers are getting more gabby apparently. I'm getting calls for work, which is great.
The next step for me is to buy a more up-to-date program so that I can keep up with my competitiors (of which there are officially three in my area).
MS Publisher was the route I was thinking about taking, but I wasn't sure if it was still the best..
See I was like you..until got so busy with the design thing..that I just retired from the B & B thing. Now I need to retire from the design thing. FOr web sites...I am hoping you use Dreamweaver:)
Publisher is for print..certainly not for professionals...but does the job adequately for my needs.

MS Publisher was the route I was thinking about taking, but I wasn't sure if it was still the best..
See I was like you..until got so busy with the design thing..that I just retired from the B & B thing. Now I need to retire from the design thing. FOr web sites...I am hoping you use Dreamweaver:)
Publisher is for print..certainly not for professionals...but does the job adequately for my needs.
catlady said:
I am hoping you use Dreamweaver:)
That's the NEXT next step...got to take it one chunk of money at a time

catlady said:
I have (had?) Dreamweaver. I switched from my PC to a Mac and tried to install it since the CD said it worked for both systems. Well, it wouldn't work. Called Adobe and they said whatever system you install it on first is what it becomes attached to, whatever that means. Bottom line was I had to get another one if I wanted to run it on my Mac. I could install it on another PC, just not the Mac.
I found this instead: http://www.net2.com/nvu/
Give it a shot. It's very similar to Dreamweaver and since it's free it's even better LOL
teeth_smile.gif
It runs on Mac, Windows and Linux.

catlady said:
I have (had?) Dreamweaver. I switched from my PC to a Mac and tried to install it since the CD said it worked for both systems. Well, it wouldn't work. Called Adobe and they said whatever system you install it on first is what it becomes attached to, whatever that means. Bottom line was I had to get another one if I wanted to run it on my Mac. I could install it on another PC, just not the Mac.
Give it a shot. It's very similar to Dreamweaver and since it's free it's even better LOL
teeth_smile.gif
I hadn't bought any new graphic programs for years, and I noticed that Adobe was not only buying everyone up, their products were getting crazy expensive. I figured I was gonna have to do it sooner or later so I bit the bullet ant bought Creative Suite 3. I didn't need all the programs, but I felt I needed a newer Dreamweaver, InDesign and a newer Photoshop. I bought the previous version NEW on ebay for a substantial discount. I reccommend doing that whatever you decide on. I saved $500. No kidding!

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif
I hadn't bought any new graphic programs for years, and I noticed that Adobe was not only buying everyone up, their products were getting crazy expensive. I figured I was gonna have to do it sooner or later so I bit the bullet ant bought Creative Suite 3. I didn't need all the programs, but I felt I needed a newer Dreamweaver, InDesign and a newer Photoshop. I bought the previous version NEW on ebay for a substantial discount. I reccommend doing that whatever you decide on. I saved $500. No kidding!
WOW! I never would've thought to look at eBay for stuff like that. Thanks for the advice

If you had to choose between a publishing program (mine is out of date) or a website design program ( mine is okay, but not smokin' ) which would be the better choice?
I do most of my business with website design, but I'd like to get more into the publishing side (it's easier and less complex money!)
It annoys me that the "newest, best-est, fastest, coolest, blah, blah, blah" is out of date the minute it hits the shelves. Kind of like a new car!

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif
WOW! I never would've thought to look at eBay for stuff like that. Thanks for the advice
Watch out..you may be getting pirated illegal software on ebay.

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif
Unfortunately, NVU is no longer being developed. Kompozer was the last stable release. If people are looking for free yet stabel versions, I'd suggest Kompozer.

I bought the MS Publisher. LOVE IT! I bought it off of buy. com. LOVE IT!!! Bought it Monday, delivered Wednesday! LOVE IT
Thanks to all who offered advice

I bought the MS Publisher. LOVE IT! I bought it off of buy. com. LOVE IT!!! Bought it Monday, delivered Wednesday! LOVE IT
Thanks to all who offered advice.
GREAT! I think I am going to have to do it as well.

In case you couldn't tell from my previous post, I would highly recommend it!
shades_smile.gif

From what I had to this...it's amazing. The best part: I already have work lined up to use it!

shades_smile.gif

From what I had to this...it's amazing. The best part: I already have work lined up to use it!
I can buy the upgrade on Amazon for $90 but after reading some of the reviews...many say to just stick with 2003.So if you never had it...it is great..but I have it so I'll have to see whether it is worth it or not..
THere are some neat templates at the Microsoft site I would like to download, but you can't unless you have 2007:-(

shades_smile.gif

I can buy the upgrade on Amazon for $90 but after reading some of the reviews...many say to just stick with 2003.So if you never had it...it is great..but I have it so I'll have to see whether it is worth it or not..
THere are some neat templates at the Microsoft site I would like to download, but you can't unless you have 2007:-(
catlady said:
That was my dilemma. I had to just go forward with the 2007 in order to get all the neat stuff associated with it.

shades_smile.gif

catlady said:
That was my dilemma. I had to just go forward with the 2007 in order to get all the neat stuff associated with it.
microsoft is the devil's playground
devil_smile.gif

shades_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif

adobenido said:
devil_smile.gif
Amen.
I'm with you on the Adobe Creative Suite. Outstanding! I'm a retired graphic artist/digital publisher and the various elements that comprise this package are what we always used. Granted, we used Macs, but it should work as well on a PC...Unless you've crashed or got a virus etc. etc. (See Mac commericals on TV)

shades_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif

adobenido said:
devil_smile.gif
Amen.
I'm with you on the Adobe Creative Suite. Outstanding! I'm a retired graphic artist/digital publisher and the various elements that comprise this package are what we always used. Granted, we used Macs, but it should work as well on a PC...Unless you've crashed or got a virus etc. etc. (See Mac commericals on TV)
I use Pagemaker and Photoshop on my PC and it gives me more than I even know how to use. I love both. But I think they are doing away with Pagemaker now. I'll hang onto that til the bitter end since it's so easy to use.
RIki

Back