Puerto Rican coquito (egg nog) AND other party drinks!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so i just got back from a get together and we had coquito. donated to the party by a fit and fine young lady who is a fitness and weight trainer. she believes in a little decadence now and then.
this was soooo good.
i have to get the exact recipe (and also sign up for one of her weight training classes) but it was evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut milk, grated coconut, egg yolks, spices and RUM.
so many good drink ideas coming in, i had to EXPAND this thread. i've added a recipe for irish coffee further along in the thread.

Of course, I have THAT one!!! Got this recipe straight from a Puerto Rico resident.
1/2 liter water
15 ounces cream of coconut
12 ounces evaporated milk
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs yolks
3 cinnamon sticks
1 liter white rum
Boil cinnamon sticks in the water. Take the sticks out when the water is yellow and has the smell and taste of cinnamon.
Add the milks and egg yolks and cook at low temperature. While it's cooking, stir to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pot.
When it is boiling for a few minutes, add the cream of coconut and rum. Stir well and take off the burner.
Let it cool and it will be ready. Refrigerate.

Of course, I have THAT one!!! Got this recipe straight from a Puerto Rico resident.
1/2 liter water
4 eggs yolks
3 cinnamon sticks
1 liter white rum
Boil cinnamon sticks in the water. Take the sticks out when the water is yellow and has the smell and taste of cinnamon.
Add the milks and egg yolks and cook at low temperature. While it's cooking, stir to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pot.
When it is boiling for a few minutes, add the cream of coconut and rum. Stir well and take off the burner.
Let it cool and it will be ready. Refrigerate..
Oh wow..that really sounds good!! Happy Holidays!

Hijack alert.
SS is that your dog and is it a Frenchie? My brother's family has one that has captured all their hearts.

Hijack alert.
SS is that your dog and is it a Frenchie? My brother's family has one that has captured all their hearts..
Innkeep said:
Hijack alert.
SS is that your dog and is it a Frenchie? My brother's family has one that has captured all their hearts.
haha. cute, right? i live with my eldest sister and one of her sons and HIS family as well ... they have two dogs ... pekingese.
charalilly.jpg
chara is the blonde boy. lilly is the black girl, about five pounds lighter than the boy but what an appetite! whenever my nephew and his wife both leave the house, the dogs run to me.
i put one of my sock monkey hats on chara. that's the pic.

1/2 liter water
4 eggs yolks
3 cinnamon sticks
1 liter white rum
Let it cool and it will be ready. Refrigerate..
Sanctuary said:
excellent! thank you!

Hijack alert.
SS is that your dog and is it a Frenchie? My brother's family has one that has captured all their hearts..
Innkeep said:
Hijack alert.
haha. cute, right? i live with my eldest sister and one of her sons and HIS family as well ... they have two dogs ... pekingese.
charalilly.jpg
chara is the blonde boy. lilly is the black girl, about five pounds lighter than the boy but what an appetite! whenever my nephew and his wife both leave the house, the dogs run to me.
i put one of my sock monkey hats on chara. that's the pic.
Frenchie.jpg

Their faces certainly look similar when she wears her hat. This is Oscar the French bulldog

Here is another great holiday drink. It doesn't pack the punch of the rum eggnog and it is surprisingly light. A real crowd pleaser at any holiday gathering! And it will give you something to do with the egg whites that were not used in the egg nog recipe.
Sillabub
(16-18 1/2 cup servings)*
2 cups white wine
1 + 1/2 cup sugar
5 Tbs. Grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 cups milk
2 cups light cream
4 egg whites
nutmeg
Early in the day (or sometimes I do it the day before): In a medium bowl combine wine with 1 cup of sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Cover and chill
About 20 minutes before serving: In a large bowl combine milk and light cream. While stirring, gradually pour chilled-wine mixture into milk-cream. Beat until frothy. Pour into pretty 2 1/2-quart bowl (or punch bowl if recipe is doubled).
Beat egg whites until frothy; continue to beat, adding gradually 1/2 cup sugar until stiff but not dry. (I add a pinch of cream of tarter to help stiffen the egg whites)
Drop beaten whites by the spoonfuls onto the top of the cream mixture in bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
*My notes: I usually double this recipe for a gang of people. I have made this whole thing, minus the egg whites well ahead and refrigerated it. Then just poured into bowl, wisked it up a bit and added the egg whites and nutmeg. Served in a punch bowl set into a decorative wreath with the cups set around it on paper-lace –doilies, it makes a nice festive presentation! Leftovers keep in refrigerator for a couple of days….but the presentation is gone.

Here is another great holiday drink. It doesn't pack the punch of the rum eggnog and it is surprisingly light. A real crowd pleaser at any holiday gathering! And it will give you something to do with the egg whites that were not used in the egg nog recipe.
Sillabub
(16-18 1/2 cup servings)*
2 cups white wine
1 + 1/2 cup sugar
5 Tbs. Grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 cups milk
2 cups light cream
4 egg whites
nutmeg
Early in the day (or sometimes I do it the day before): In a medium bowl combine wine with 1 cup of sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Cover and chill
About 20 minutes before serving: In a large bowl combine milk and light cream. While stirring, gradually pour chilled-wine mixture into milk-cream. Beat until frothy. Pour into pretty 2 1/2-quart bowl (or punch bowl if recipe is doubled).
Beat egg whites until frothy; continue to beat, adding gradually 1/2 cup sugar until stiff but not dry. (I add a pinch of cream of tarter to help stiffen the egg whites)
Drop beaten whites by the spoonfuls onto the top of the cream mixture in bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
*My notes: I usually double this recipe for a gang of people. I have made this whole thing, minus the egg whites well ahead and refrigerated it. Then just poured into bowl, wisked it up a bit and added the egg whites and nutmeg. Served in a punch bowl set into a decorative wreath with the cups set around it on paper-lace –doilies, it makes a nice festive presentation! Leftovers keep in refrigerator for a couple of days….but the presentation is gone..
The big hit in our house (and i made it for the Community Band Chrisms party - well received) is this:
1 large bottle of Welch's grape juice
2 liters of 7-Up
1/2 gallon GOOD vanilla ice cream
Put the ic e cream in the bowl (we used to double all this and use a 25 gallon crock). Pour the grape juice over the the ice cream then pour the 7-up over the ice cream. Stir gently. Serve.

last minute party and was told to bring something ... i brought the makings for irish coffee. the host has these heavy, glass mugs that worked perfectly.
(make up a fresh pot of coffee before you start)
in one mug, pour 1 1/2 ounces of whiskey (3 tablespoons)
stir in 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
pour in just a bit of hot coffee to dissolve the sugar
then add six to eight ounces of hot coffee
stir
top with whipped cream ... just float it in on the top
i like my coffee light and sweet, so i offered around some cream and sugar before topping with whipped cream
i also shaved a bit of chocolate on top of the whipped cream ... it was served at the end of the meal.

I just came across this Coquito recipe - just slightly different than Sanctuary's.
http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/Web-2011/Coquito-Puerto-Rican-Egg-Nog/
¼ cup crushed cinnamon bark or 10 cinnamon sticks (use an intense cinnamon, such as canela)
1 cup water
½ vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 12-ounce can organic coconut milk
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 12-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups rum (1 cup white rum like Flor de Caña and 1 cup aged rum such as Zacapa 23 make for a tastier drink)
1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg, to garnish
In a medium saucepan, boil the cinnamon sticks or crushed cinnamon bark and vanilla bean in the water. Let boil for 2 minutes, then let sit for 1 hour. Strain the liquid, making sure to reserve the cinnamon in a separate bowl.
In batches blend the canned coconut milk, evaporated and condensed milks, and slowly add the cinnamon-vanilla water. Add the rums to the mixture and mix well. Transfer the mixture into a large plastic container and refrigerate overnight.
Prior to serving, use a blender and blend the eggnog until well mixed. Serve chilled with freshly grated nutmeg. Serves 8–10.

My son made us Pisco Sours when we were visiting for Christmas. Reminded me of snow. It is made with egg whites (he used the all egg whites from a carton).
I'm happy to report that I'm still alive and didn't get sick.... :)

My son made us Pisco Sours when we were visiting for Christmas. Reminded me of snow. It is made with egg whites (he used the all egg whites from a carton).
I'm happy to report that I'm still alive and didn't get sick.... :).
Fine, select, elegant and versatile, pisco is a sample of Peru's rich heritage.

Back