Put your coffee down first...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went in to make breakfast this morning and found my blueberry grk yoghurts were gone, and in their place was KEY LIME extra thick and rich greek yog.
I was not happy, I made this monstrously weird parfait, with a variety of fruit and nuts and trying to disguise the key lime yogh. Using things I had not planned on using!
The guests liked it.
DH was lucky he was not around this morning, or I would have worn him out! He said on I.M. "Um, maybe I took them...".
Way to use what's on hand!
Question regarding parfaits - do you find the guest prefer a premade parfait over a buffet style with yogurt, fruit and granola all available?
I was actually wondering this morning if people would like parfaits and then I saw your post. (9 days until we take ownership!)
TheBeachHouse said:
Question regarding parfaits - do you find the guest prefer a premade parfait over a buffet style with yogurt, fruit and granola all available?
I was actually wondering this morning if people would like parfaits and then I saw your post. (9 days until we take ownership!)
We make and serve everything, no buffet. A buffet is too much work to set up and keep stocked. Of course, it depends on how many rooms you have and what the style of the inn is.

I went in to make breakfast this morning and found my blueberry grk yoghurts were gone, and in their place was KEY LIME extra thick and rich greek yog.
I was not happy, I made this monstrously weird parfait, with a variety of fruit and nuts and trying to disguise the key lime yogh. Using things I had not planned on using!
The guests liked it.
DH was lucky he was not around this morning, or I would have worn him out! He said on I.M. "Um, maybe I took them...".
TheBeachHouse said:
We make and serve everything, no buffet. A buffet is too much work to set up and keep stocked. Of course, it depends on how many rooms you have and what the style of the inn is.
6 rooms. Continetal breakfast only. (no restaurant license.)
The Current owner does a buffet with bread or muffins, fruit, yogurt and cereal. We are going to expand a little with granola. I thought parfaits might be fun on a Sunday or holiday to make it look special, but wondered if people prefer to make their own.

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
The Current owner does a buffet with bread or muffins, fruit, yogurt and cereal. We are going to expand a little with granola. I thought parfaits might be fun on a Sunday or holiday to make it look special, but wondered if people prefer to make their own.
You may want to toy around a little once you are settled in and feel comfortable. You will see soon what 'sells' and what doesn't
wink_smile.gif

So excited for you, beginning this adventure is so much fun. I still love it 15 yrs in, though at times I sure could use an extended vacation!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Beach house, are you a beach house? I ask as if it were me, and I was on the beach I would want continental serve myself and go...maybe a morning sunrise walk with a coffee in hand, come back for the muffin, etc. :) Remember you can always use the POLL feature on this forum to get an abundance of answers collectively without the chit chat.

The guests liked it.
Make the parfait, guests won't even think of doing it unless it's premade.
Either in a champagne flute or you can also use a stemless martini cup for it, whichever is cheaper at the dollar store... because they will break.... the problem with the flute is that if it's too large, they may need a longer spoon.

The guests liked it.
Either in a champagne flute or you can also use a stemless martini cup for it, whichever is cheaper at the dollar store... because they will break.... the problem with the flute is that if it's too large, they may need a longer spoon.
So funny! I had my stemless martini glasses in the yard sale pile and decided I should keep them. Now I am glad I did!

The guests liked it.
So they get iced tea spoons

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Beach house, are you a beach house? I ask as if it were me, and I was on the beach I would want continental serve myself and go...maybe a morning sunrise walk with a coffee in hand, come back for the muffin, etc. :) Remember you can always use the POLL feature on this forum to get an abundance of answers collectively without the chit chat.
we are not on a beach, but are by the ocean with plenty of nice spots for a morning walk. (I figure, for someone in Ohio, it is close enough to a beach house. And we are decorating in a casual beach house theme.)

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
we are not on a beach, but are by the ocean with plenty of nice spots for a morning walk. (I figure, for someone in Ohio, it is close enough to a beach house. And we are decorating in a casual beach house theme.)
TheBeachHouse said:
Beachhouse would you mind sending me your link again...you can email it to me. I think you already did and I forgot. It is helpful from the outside looking in, plus having guests for 9+ years... THANKS!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Beachhouse would you mind sending me your link again...you can email it to me. I think you already did and I forgot. It is helpful from the outside looking in, plus having guests for 9+ years... THANKS!
Thanks, Joey. I will but I want to wait until it is actually ours. We still have 9 days before we own the place. :)

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I double posted. How do you delete a post?
embaressed_smile.gif

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
You may want to toy around a little once you are settled in and feel comfortable. You will see soon what 'sells' and what doesn't
wink_smile.gif

So excited for you, beginning this adventure is so much fun. I still love it 15 yrs in, though at times I sure could use an extended vacation!
Thanks!! We are pretty excited. I have worked as a chamber maid and a waitress and he has worked in retail store management, so we think we know what we are getting into.
I guess y'all will be the first to know !

Ahhh! Okay. I can feel the excitement, have a great great anticipatory 9 days!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
Make them up and set them out on the buffet, if possible. See how it goes.
Here's a tip if the buffet has a 'start' area (like where you pick up the plates) - put the cheap items first and the expensive items last. (ie- bread first, fruit last).
I have been using dessert cups from Libbey called Just Desserts. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17095790 12 to a box, they come with their own spoon. (kinda cheapo spoons but they work with these cups) The cups hold about 5.3 ozs so a big savings over using big bowls. I didn't get the flared ones, I got the straight sided ones because they have to fit in the dishwasher.

The guests liked it.
So funny! I had my stemless martini glasses in the yard sale pile and decided I should keep them. Now I am glad I did!
TheBeachHouse said:
Good heavens yes! Don't get rid of any glassware or plates or anything like that until you've been there awhile!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Thanks, Joey. I will but I want to wait until it is actually ours. We still have 9 days before we own the place. :)
The drum roll is starting to build! It has been 18 years but I remember the excitement and the scariness of getting our house. It was 600 miles from where DH grew up (and from the kids) and 120 miles from where I grew up. We knew no one. The ONLY thing we had going for us was that I WAS from WV (ain't from here are ya is an instant hurdle but from WV gave points). There was the will the dream be better than the reality question also. Answer - we could not have dreamed as wonderful a reality as it has been.
May yours be as good or better than our reality.

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
The drum roll is starting to build! It has been 18 years but I remember the excitement and the scariness of getting our house. It was 600 miles from where DH grew up (and from the kids) and 120 miles from where I grew up. We knew no one. The ONLY thing we had going for us was that I WAS from WV (ain't from here are ya is an instant hurdle but from WV gave points). There was the will the dream be better than the reality question also. Answer - we could not have dreamed as wonderful a reality as it has been.
May yours be as good or better than our reality.
Thank you!! What a sweet and wonderful post!!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
Here's a tip if the buffet has a 'start' area (like where you pick up the plates) - put the cheap items first and the expensive items last. (ie- bread first, fruit last).
I have been using dessert cups from Libbey called Just Desserts. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17095790 12 to a box, they come with their own spoon. (kinda cheapo spoons but they work with these cups) The cups hold about 5.3 ozs so a big savings over using big bowls. I didn't get the flared ones, I got the straight sided ones because they have to fit in the dishwasher.
Thanks for that link Maddie! I've been looking for some small fruit/dessert cups and these look great. I also like the small trifle glasses they have!

The guests liked it.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Those aren't cups, they are verrines. About 5 years behind the time... but still, verrines. I have a bunch of these glassware in different sizes, very useful for breakfast. (Look up verrine for more examples in images.)

Hmm...I'll be the outlier but I think a make-your-own parfait would be great on a continental breakfast buffet. It will be more waste, but I would prefer it myself over premade. Choice of two yogurts, homemade granola, a variety of fruits and maybe a fun fruit syrup would be great. In classy containers, of course, so it doesn't look like your generic XYZ Inn cheap hotel buffet. Just my opinion.

Back