Putting up signs.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We have one guest room where the door is heavier than in the other rooms. Some guests close it gently, but others slam it shut. When we have smokers that door being opened and closed 4-5 times at night gets annoying. We've had to remove wall decor from the wall that is next to that door as everything was always crooked or on the floor.
Should I put up a small sign on the door, 'Please close door gently'?

I would put up 2 signs (1)" please close this heavy door gently" and (2)" smoking strictly prohibited". I saw a sign in some students accommodation last week which stated that if fire alarms are activated by smoke from cigarettes,incense or cooking the mandatory call out fee from the Fire Brigade of $600 dollars will be charged to the occupants. OK as an aspiring I will get this off my chest. I hate smoking with a passion...I am allergic to smoke..... ..well not quite... well my day job is as a family physician....and we spent a lot of our time in providing smoking cessation programs........that's a positive aspect of our work....but much more of our time treating the negative effects of smoking and we are not talking just about empysema,lung cancer and heart disease........we are negotiating to buy a turnkey, as some of you know, and no way will there be ANY smoking on the premises NOR property..........not good for business....difficult to control and police...I do not care....noise pollution that Alibi mentions is annoying...active and passive smoke pollution is a health risk and not compatable with a healthy B and B experience..........can some INNmates please respond to calm me down a little...... JJ

I would put up 2 signs (1)" please close this heavy door gently" and (2)" smoking strictly prohibited". I saw a sign in some students accommodation last week which stated that if fire alarms are activated by smoke from cigarettes,incense or cooking the mandatory call out fee from the Fire Brigade of $600 dollars will be charged to the occupants. OK as an aspiring I will get this off my chest. I hate smoking with a passion...I am allergic to smoke..... ..well not quite... well my day job is as a family physician....and we spent a lot of our time in providing smoking cessation programs........that's a positive aspect of our work....but much more of our time treating the negative effects of smoking and we are not talking just about empysema,lung cancer and heart disease........we are negotiating to buy a turnkey, as some of you know, and no way will there be ANY smoking on the premises NOR property..........not good for business....difficult to control and police...I do not care....noise pollution that Alibi mentions is annoying...active and passive smoke pollution is a health risk and not compatable with a healthy B and B experience..........can some INNmates please respond to calm me down a little...... JJ.
No one smokes in the rooms. They're opening and closing the door to go outside to smoke.
As for being an entirely smoke-free B&B, good for you. It's not good for my health to be breathing in the smoke smell and particulate matter that is left behind on sheets and bedding and soft furnishings. With guests last week I had to pretend I needed to go do something in the kitchen so I could get away from them. They had just been outside smoking and came in reeking. They threw the butts in the trash can in the dining room! I had to rip that bag out of there and dispose of it right away, it was killing me. Literally.
If you are very clear about your intentions and you don't buy in a state where tobacco is king, you should be fine. We don't get a lot of smokers here. The few that we do are generally really good about staying away from the doors and windows.
Someone else will have to step in with how they handle rule-breakers as I do not have any punitive fees for smoking in the rooms. But, if I smell cig smoke on an incoming guest I let them know right away they have to go outside. Most are insulted by my telling them that, but tough.

a sign would at least show the non smokers that you are sensitive to the issue of door slamming. whether or not the slammers will read it and pay attention... hard to say.
can you install a door closer? ... it prevents the slamming. it can take a while to get the adjustment right, but it may be what you need. we had one with an adjustable timer. you don't want the hold open kind because of fire regulations but the kind with the air valve like on a screen door that gradually closes the door. when tugged, the slammer is met with resistance. i mounted a little sign that door will close by itself.
it also prevented people leaving the door open
wink_smile.gif

a sign would at least show the non smokers that you are sensitive to the issue of door slamming. whether or not the slammers will read it and pay attention... hard to say.
can you install a door closer? ... it prevents the slamming. it can take a while to get the adjustment right, but it may be what you need. we had one with an adjustable timer. you don't want the hold open kind because of fire regulations but the kind with the air valve like on a screen door that gradually closes the door. when tugged, the slammer is met with resistance. i mounted a little sign that door will close by itself.
it also prevented people leaving the door open
wink_smile.gif
There was one on the heavy guest room door of the B&B we stayed in last weekend. It was nice as the door was heavy and I am quite sure it was added due to the slamming. No slamming with this door.

I would put up 2 signs (1)" please close this heavy door gently" and (2)" smoking strictly prohibited". I saw a sign in some students accommodation last week which stated that if fire alarms are activated by smoke from cigarettes,incense or cooking the mandatory call out fee from the Fire Brigade of $600 dollars will be charged to the occupants. OK as an aspiring I will get this off my chest. I hate smoking with a passion...I am allergic to smoke..... ..well not quite... well my day job is as a family physician....and we spent a lot of our time in providing smoking cessation programs........that's a positive aspect of our work....but much more of our time treating the negative effects of smoking and we are not talking just about empysema,lung cancer and heart disease........we are negotiating to buy a turnkey, as some of you know, and no way will there be ANY smoking on the premises NOR property..........not good for business....difficult to control and police...I do not care....noise pollution that Alibi mentions is annoying...active and passive smoke pollution is a health risk and not compatable with a healthy B and B experience..........can some INNmates please respond to calm me down a little...... JJ.
Flossy, we have 3.3 acres and our website states that smoking is not allowed anywhere on our property. The policies which guests must initial before making a reservation states that a violation of our smoking policy is cause for immediate expulsion without refund.
This keeps smokers from coming here and am I glad! Smokers stink and the next few guests smell it. We advertise green cleaning too. This attracts some guests, knowing they will not have to smell strong cleaning products or smoke, and I'm sure that makes up for the guests who don't come because they cannot smoke. Many guests have expressed depp appreciation regarding our policy.
And I personally love not having to worry about extra laundering and cleaning due to smoke.

Flossy our policy for smoking in our non-smoking rooms is as follows: Our rooms are non-smoking. A $150 cleaning fee and an additional night charged for violation of this policy.

we have closers but sometimes you have to mess with the adjustment so that it doesn't slam itself by closing too quickly or not hard enough and the door stays on the latch. We do have signs on the front and back doors that say please shut and lock this door.

We have old heavy 100 yr old wood panel doors and for some reason one of the room doors was really getting slammed. Probably because it didn't stick as much as the others with the dampness. haha... We found just putting some of those clear small plastic stick on round pads (like you can put on kitchen and cabinet doors) at the top of the door jamb helped a lot. The other thing you could try is weather stripping. It's worth a shot since both possible solutions only cost pennies........

Back