Question about Google Analytics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I was checking some stats today and noticed that all of the individual pages listed in my stats show "the name of the page/index.htm". (ie - rooms/index.htm, breakfast/index.htm)
What the heck does that mean? I don't have an index.htm page and certainly every page on my site is not listed as pagename/index.htm.
Not sure if this is throwing off my stats but it's bothering me. Especially if Google is thinking these are all valid pagenames.

Hi Madeleine!

If you go to any of your website's subpages using your browser, does it redirect to something like: www.YourWebsite.com/a-sub-page/index.htm ?
If it does, then you might have mistaken Page Title with Relative URL (/a-sub-page/index.htm). On the image below taken from Google Analytics, you'll notice that there's an option to either view the list by Page Title (Name) as you would have wanted, and then before that is Page which actually shows the Relative URL which is what's likely shown on your side by default. You should be able to switch to Page Title view if you want to.
iIKVoUK.png

Also, if you want to check how a page from your website looks in Google's eyes, go test a page URL from your website on http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets.
Hope that cleared things up and helped you in anyway. :)

Hi Madeleine!

If you go to any of your website's subpages using your browser, does it redirect to something like: www.YourWebsite.com/a-sub-page/index.htm ?
If it does, then you might have mistaken Page Title with Relative URL (/a-sub-page/index.htm). On the image below taken from Google Analytics, you'll notice that there's an option to either view the list by Page Title (Name) as you would have wanted, and then before that is Page which actually shows the Relative URL which is what's likely shown on your side by default. You should be able to switch to Page Title view if you want to.
iIKVoUK.png

Also, if you want to check how a page from your website looks in Google's eyes, go test a page URL from your website on http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets.
Hope that cleared things up and helped you in anyway. :).
Thanks. Not sure that explains why last week it was just 'rooms' and this week it's 'rooms/index.htm'. The page title view shows the really long string of keywords I use for each page, not the actual page name, which is what used to show up. Making it MUCH easier for me to figure out what page I was looking at!

Hi Madeleine!

iIKVoUK.png

Thanks. Not sure that explains why last week it was just 'rooms' and this week it's 'rooms/index.htm'. The page title view shows the really long string of keywords I use for each page, not the actual page name, which is what used to show up. Making it MUCH easier for me to figure out what page I was looking at!
Maddy, if people just go to /rooms/ then analytics just adds an index.htm to your listing. It's the default for a directory, even if yours is really index.html or index.php or index.asp
Don't worry, be happy :D

Hi Madeleine!

iIKVoUK.png

Maddy, if people just go to /rooms/ then analytics just adds an index.htm to your listing. It's the default for a directory, even if yours is really index.html or index.php or index.asp
The problem with it is this...if I want to click the link to take me to that exact page I get a page not found error. Because there is no such page.

Hi Madeleine!

iIKVoUK.png

The problem with it is this...if I want to click the link to take me to that exact page I get a page not found error. Because there is no such page.
I realize. I get the same thing. But it's the / directory that is being called up by Google. It's just how it's represented. See https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009675?hl=en&utm_id=ad
Yours would be index.php because of WP. Same as mine.

Back