Question About Internet Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I'm working on the next 101 things to see and do blog post and there's no way I have my own personal photos of all the areas I'll be blogging about. Unless they're copyrighted, is there a rule of thumb about using images other's have taken and posted? If I do photo credit for someone I don't know, wouldn't that call attention to that person if they've set up a google alert? Once an image has posted online, is it fair game??

I consider it fair game. If someone asks me to remove it, I'll do it. But that has never happened. Life is good.

Legally, You cannot use any photos you find on line. Even if you give them credit, permission must be asked before using. Now chances are no one will ever know, but you never know. Someone took one of my photos and actually used it as his header image on his facebook page! I was shocked to see it out of the blue. I sent a note and said that photo looked awfully familiar, where did he get it? He admitted he took it from a site I put it on. I scolded him jokingly but asked he give me credit for it and he did.
Most people will allow you to use them if you ask. Unless it is a professional, and then they usually want a fee..sometimes outrageous. So Be careful!

Legally, You cannot use any photos you find on line. Even if you give them credit, permission must be asked before using. Now chances are no one will ever know, but you never know. Someone took one of my photos and actually used it as his header image on his facebook page! I was shocked to see it out of the blue. I sent a note and said that photo looked awfully familiar, where did he get it? He admitted he took it from a site I put it on. I scolded him jokingly but asked he give me credit for it and he did.
Most people will allow you to use them if you ask. Unless it is a professional, and then they usually want a fee..sometimes outrageous. So Be careful!.
EmptyNest said:
Legally, You cannot use any photos you find on line.... So Be careful!
Yeah yeah yeah. We have to say that. But, practically....

two suggestions ... create a form email to send to the website where you find pictures. i have found almost always that folks respond with ... fine, please just credit me ... and i put in small print the source. happy to
the other is i used a number of photos from istockphoto ... $1 each ... seems fair.
but absolutely, if someone asks you to remove their pictures, do so graciously and immediately.

I had someone rip the larger version of the sunset picture from our site. Several emails asking for credit or removal were ignored. Finally it was removed. I have started watermarking the ones that are more generic. If you are going to use pictures from the net , it may be prudent to ask.
http://www.mckinnonsbb.com/common1.html
There was a recent case about this: http://tinyurl.com/bf83zry
I have also used this site for pictures http://www.freestockphotos.biz
BBBBob

You have your cookie recipe you don't want people posting, right? Same thing when you think about it. (Technically, not legally.)
I have started putting my name on all the photos I post that I really care about. Won't stop someone from just cropping that off.

A local hospital used one of our photos from our website in their advertising. They never asked permission. I once used a food photo from a website and was asked to remove it. It's a very touchy subject for a lot of people. I thought all online photos were available to the public but that is not the case.

BD if you go into Flickr you can find images that are free to use. People set them up differently, with attribution as a way to use them.
I figure if it is a SITE of interest, if I cannot legally get their photo, I grab a copy of the website, like I did with the blogs on Innteractive inns, and use that.
I blog for our state parks, and being a govt agency we have very strict rules on using any photo from anywhere. Fortunately for those historical photos, they are free to use from the library of congress etc. I get written permission on any others, but we really don't want to use anyone's pix other than our own.
So that is my solution, grab a print screen of their website, if they have one. Or you can ask them and they might give you more bang for your buck and be thrilled you are featuring them. (But that takes an extra step and time of course).

Thanks for all your input. There is one blog I found from a pilot who has taken some fantastic aerial photography of our area and I'll contact him to get her permission since there are about 10 photos I would like to use in this series. They give a unique perspective that I can't get anywhere else.
Thanks!

Thanks for all your input. There is one blog I found from a pilot who has taken some fantastic aerial photography of our area and I'll contact him to get her permission since there are about 10 photos I would like to use in this series. They give a unique perspective that I can't get anywhere else.
Thanks!.
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks!
I was going to mention, if the photos are from someone as part of their job, ie writer, pilot, then they won't be happy. But giving them a link to the website I think that guy will be all for it! :)

Back