Question about phrasing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to set parameters right off! This is not a question about whether or not I should, in this day and age, have a TV in every room. The question is how to tell guests we DON'T have TV's in every room. So...
Would you:
  1. Only state 'There is a TV in this room,' for rooms that have TV's;
  2. State 'This is a TV-free room,' for the rooms that don't have TV's;
  3. Not mention the lack of TV's but only do option 1;
  4. Proudly proclaim 'No TV's in these rooms, enjoy each other's company and to heck with world news!'
  5. Other.

Please note, to aid you in "getting away from it all", there are no televisions or telephones in the guest rooms.
There might be a little proselytizing in there...

I say about Rosi's Room - this room features the fine art of conversation, there is no TV.

Unlike me but I say K.I.S.S. - and go with what JB said!
You will be lucky if they read that!
wink_smile.gif

do you often have guests that check in and then are unhappy they don't have a tv in their room? if so, i'd use BOTH one and two.
but .... i just had a thought. do you suppose you'll have guests who say, 'TV FREE?! i thought you meant FREE TV ... as in, free to watch (or even to take home!)' sorry, couldn't resist.
devil_smile.gif

Speaking of TV free zones would a guest be more likely to book NEAR a tv free zoned room for more quiet? I know you have a floor plan on your website, that would be a good thing to list on there.
I might like that!
I want a tv, but might like a tv free zoned part of the house. Is there a section of the house you can call this or is it random?

Speaking of TV free zones would a guest be more likely to book NEAR a tv free zoned room for more quiet? I know you have a floor plan on your website, that would be a good thing to list on there.
I might like that!
I want a tv, but might like a tv free zoned part of the house. Is there a section of the house you can call this or is it random?.
A good chunk of the house! Altho, I understand one guest was watching a ballgame on a laptop and starting hollering late last night.

Hi Mort
I would not even bring it up , unless a guest brought it up. Then I would say. yes that room does have a tv or No that room does not have a tv. I would not even make a issue out of it. Way to much to do than sit in the room and watch . These days who wants to watch the news anyway LOL
Happy Memorial day to you from your neighbor down the road

Hi Mort
I would not even bring it up , unless a guest brought it up. Then I would say. yes that room does have a tv or No that room does not have a tv. I would not even make a issue out of it. Way to much to do than sit in the room and watch . These days who wants to watch the news anyway LOL
Happy Memorial day to you from your neighbor down the road.
Usually the reason I bring something up is because what I had didn't work! If we don't tell them where the TV rooms are, they're grumpy when they find out they picked the wrong room.
Happy Memorial Day to you, too!

Another idea after looking at the design of your site: Under your room amenities (top of the page) state:
"TVs in some rooms, see individual room discriptions"

I wouldn't say anything anywhere except list TV in the room that has it. No one reads anyway so why bother? They are going to ask you whether the room has it or not :-(

Another idea after looking at the design of your site: Under your room amenities (top of the page) state:
"TVs in some rooms, see individual room discriptions".
copperhead said:
"TVs in some rooms, see individual room discriptions"
I like this option. We know they don't read anyway, but at least with this wording you have informed them twice. Once above and once in the room description.

i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi

i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi.
seashanty said:
i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi
I have had this happen twice to our only NO TV room and we finally got in there and added cable, a royal pain, but now we don't have to deal with it. The last guest (the final straw) was IRATE, there was no telling him "Well it says right here no tv" he was irate and it was with DH who checked him in or I would have probably cried. It was also good DH checked him in to hear it for himself and get him into the attic pushing the cable and me pulling it into the room. This man acted like we did it on purpose or something, just for him, yeah that's right, just you dude! We knew we wouldn't like you! I said to him "Some people actually request no tv" as he left.
But there is the weather channel - right now we have a warning on outside, big claps of thunder, and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.
I watch tv, so I can understand, but it ain't gonna be HDTV, hate to tell them!

i had a guest who wanted to leave when she discovered no tv and no phone in her room. she was here to take an art class ... but wanted those amenities ... she said she HAD to have them. she stomped out the door and across the street to the hotel to inquire and discovered ... no phones, no tv's in their rooms ... came back to me and said 'what kind of town is this anyway?' no cell phone signal, either ... i could only offer her wifi.
seashanty said:
I have had this happen twice to our only NO TV room and we finally got in there and added cable, a royal pain, but now we don't have to deal with it. The last guest (the final straw) was IRATE, there was no telling him "Well it says right here no tv" he was irate and it was with DH who checked him in or I would have probably cried. It was also good DH checked him in to hear it for himself and get him into the attic pushing the cable and me pulling it into the room. This man acted like we did it on purpose or something, just for him, yeah that's right, just you dude! We knew we wouldn't like you! I said to him "Some people actually request no tv" as he left.
But there is the weather channel - right now we have a warning on outside, big claps of thunder, and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.
I rarely watch TV and even if there is one in the room, rarely turn it on. But I also know it is a MUST for that ballgame/race/whatever.......
I just have to figure out where to put a TV in Rosi's Room before I get the cable company to reconnect it in that room (it was dropped to the Library for my b-i-l in 2002).

seashanty said:
....and there is the news, the ball games and those stupid reality shows people cannot miss when they travel.Just had a chuckle with that! Not long ago I had a business guest that came to check in (had a reservation) and asked, "Would it be OK if I went right up to my room, ____ (fill in reality show) is coming on in 2 minutes. I promise to come down right after its over check in." Can you see that happening at a hotel?

Back