Question about Res Key

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
I have a client who has rental cabins and is interested in going to Reservation Key. She already uses Square. Is it possible to incorporate that so it can be charged automatically? Or will she have to use their CC authorization. ANd...what is that? I finally found the info on their website. Took some digging.

ResKey does not interface with Square -- you could use ResKey to collect un-authorized credit card details and enter them manually into Square, I think that is what K at Guillum House does.
We use ResKey but have it linked with PayPal. Alternatively, we use Square to e-mail and electronic invoice to our guests -- that gets us the same rate as if we had swiped the card, since it is the cardholder who is keying in the card data themselves (less chance of a charge-back succeeding).

Reskey can use Paypal, but not Square. When we get 3rd party payment reservations, we send them an invoice via Square that we process manually. When it comes to 3rd party reservations that want our garage, we use Paypal.

ResKey does not interface with Square -- you could use ResKey to collect un-authorized credit card details and enter them manually into Square, I think that is what K at Guillum House does.
We use ResKey but have it linked with PayPal. Alternatively, we use Square to e-mail and electronic invoice to our guests -- that gets us the same rate as if we had swiped the card, since it is the cardholder who is keying in the card data themselves (less chance of a charge-back succeeding)..
I do not do deposits. I call guests for cc number that is put on the bottom of the index card, then after they leave, cut it off and shred it. I run the card with Square when they are here.

We use Square and ResKey.
Guest enters cc info. I run card not present to take deposit (if doing deposit), otherwise run card when guest arrives. Not automatic.

It's my understanding that if you want the deposit charged at time of booking, it's either authorize . net or paypal.
I use authorize . net and it works well. To me it's worth the monthly fee to not have to deal with chasing down declined cards and to make sure that the people reserving with us are really planning on staying with us instead of being a room shopper.

It's my understanding that if you want the deposit charged at time of booking, it's either authorize . net or paypal.
I use authorize . net and it works well. To me it's worth the monthly fee to not have to deal with chasing down declined cards and to make sure that the people reserving with us are really planning on staying with us instead of being a room shopper..
what kind of fee does authorize.net take on transactions?

I use authorize . net and it works well. To me it's worth the monthly fee to not have to deal with chasing down declined cards and to make sure that the people reserving with us are really planning on staying with us instead of being a room shopper..
what kind of fee does authorize.net take on transactions?
I believe it's about $35 per month. It's a flat fee.

I checked my account statement. I pay Authorize as follows:
  • $20 monthly Customer Information Manager fee. The "CIM" lets them legally store all the customer's card info, allowing me to charge their card any balances due later. I never see their whole card number. Authorize handles meeting all government security requirements. You don't HAVE to use CIM, but I do just so it's all legal and I don't have to keep up with things.
  • $20 Payment Gateway Acccount fee
  • + 10 cents/transaction
  • + 25 cents/batch
In my case, all the above costs me about $50/month. Sometimes less, sometimes a little more, depending on number of charges processed that month.

I checked my account statement. I pay Authorize as follows:
  • $20 monthly Customer Information Manager fee. The "CIM" lets them legally store all the customer's card info, allowing me to charge their card any balances due later. I never see their whole card number. Authorize handles meeting all government security requirements. You don't HAVE to use CIM, but I do just so it's all legal and I don't have to keep up with things.
  • $20 Payment Gateway Acccount fee
  • + 10 cents/transaction
  • + 25 cents/batch
In my case, all the above costs me about $50/month. Sometimes less, sometimes a little more, depending on number of charges processed that month..
Thanks for the exact figures Arks. How the CIM feature works with ResKey (optional) is that you can charge any payment or balance right from the guest's reservation screen. Example: guest makes online reservation and gets charged immediately when making reservation. They stay with you and instead of having to swipe their card you can just click "charge card" in the payment section. Bingo, it's processed.
The CIM feature is great for us especially with our weddings. Deposit is made when they book. At 30 days prior to their arrival, I charge the balance right from ResKey. I have never seen their full credit card number and I've never had to store anything. Auth . net is the one that is PCI compliant and I don't have to worry about anything.

Back