Question about tact

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
If someone famous stays with you and gives you a gift is it ok to post it on FB and tag them in the picture of the item? Or is that just tacky? Or an invasion of their privacy? I didn't think to ask at the time, 'Hey, can I post this on FB with your name and say you stayed here?'
Really I don't usually post about famous people staying here, I might just mention it to some of our repeats because they like that sort of 'close encounter' story. Or, display a photo or signed item they gave to us. So I'm not sure what the protocol is.
Does it make a difference if I post about the 'character' staying here rather than the actor? (I know how strange that sounds.)

Personally, I'd keep mum if I hadn't asked permission.
Is it possible for you to make contact and ask?

If it were me, I would be happy and silent unless you can get permission. I would think that the celeb stayed for peace and quiet and may not come back if they think their privacy might be invaded.

Quiet and discreet unless they agree and provide permission. Everyone has a right to privacy. And that discretion may earn you more famous guests.

One of the inns on the PAII forum hosted Carol Chan nin g and with permission put that on her website, and I know she was happy she did it.
As for me, I've had a couple of guys from NPR who would probably qualify as celebs, but I don't mention it anywhere. I guess it depends on lots of factors, but I wouldn't rule it out. My French Garfield guys actually put that they stayed at my B&B on their website!

The only person we have ever had who I would class as famous was a comic stay with us and all I knew was they were working at the theater - I didn't recognise him as he is new and thought they were part of the crew!!! Think I would ask before posting as technically in the UK you arn't allowed to divulge who has stayed except to the police here.

Unless given permission, I would not mention it anywhere. Celebs ae entitled to some privacy as well.

100% get permission, or you can only email ME AND TELL ME!
shades_smile.gif

75% are happy to have you share they stayed, and in fact would be delighted, in my estimation.
Taking a photo when they are not looking might be bad PR, having them pose with you - go for it. Of course we are embarrassed to ask that, but later on would kick ourselves if we didn't. At least for our own innkeeping memory books.

On the other comment mentioning it to other guests - after the fact, at times I will mention "You know so and so stayed in your room last year" this always is a hit! They want to know all about it. (This, after given permission to tell people). But I only tell them if i like them. It is one of the bennies of owning an inn, having famous or well knowns stay with you, and if I like THEM then that is a boon!
"George Washington Slept Here"
I remember an innkeeper on this forum sharing a famous person who was arrested as a pedophile staying there. I think I have the story correct. They were famous in their field, and now have a diff rep. So as we know, we do what we do. Using common sense, of course.

Most of the 'well-knowns' who stayed with us were only important to in their own minds
shades_smile.gif

Back