Question about taxes...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
The Owner has a problem with balancing from the reservation program. One thing that is not understood-when there is a "no show" and the guest will be charged-do you still charge them the taxes?
I say yes because they did not show up and you are still responsible for paying the taxes that are on the bill like when you buy an item and then proceed to loose that item you loose the taxes right? Now if you return the item for a refund you get the $ for the item plus the taxes.
I keep telling the owner that you still charge for the reservation + taxes unless that person is "tax Exempt" which means a form that is signed by the individual and said company that is tax exempt.
Thanks!

You absolutely must check this with your state, county & town. Because no services changed hands, no products changed hands there may not be a sales tax associated with what is essentially a 'fee' and not a 'product' or 'service'.

In my case I have to charge state tax but not hotel tax since hotel tax is an "occupancy" tax and the room was not occupied so yes you need to check with your state / local auth

Back