Question about types of breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I saw 'continental' I would assume someone laid the breakfast out each morning in the dining room. 'Self-catered' implies there is a fridge in the room where everything is stored and that I probably have to bring some of it myself.
That's my take on those words..
If a bed and breakfast had 3 or 4 rooms, would it be worth doing a continental breakfast, or better to do a served breakfast?
That depends on you and how much you want to do. We had a 3 room place and we always served breakfast. I think it is quite expected from the smaller B & B's...I mean that is what it is about. Bed and Breakfast. If people want continental, they can go to a hotel.
Totally agree! A bed and breakfast should be a sit down served meal! If I want to serve my self I will stay at a hotel! When we stay at B & B's I want to be pampered! We have had a lot of guests over the years that stayed with us because we serve a hot meal! We always make something different everyday. The guests love that. We also never tell them the day before what we will be serving. Unless it is a repeat and they request something. It's a surprise each morning and they love that!
I agree....both on the meaning of the terms "continental vs. self-catered" and the advantages of serving a full breakfast if you are a small B+B. We are the only small B+B, in a popular destination, that serves a full breakfast. Granted, we had to go through all the training, testing and permitting to be able to cook and serve food, but we also charge more and appeal to those looking for more "luxury" and pampering. This is totally consistent with our unique location, limited availability and "boutique B+B" branding.
On the down side, making a full, freshly baked, home-cooked breakfast every day for months on end can be exhausting. If you were large enough to hire someone to help out then it would make sense. If you are small and doing all the work yourself you may find it easier to manage if you choose one of the other options.
Silverspoon said:
On the down side, making a full, freshly baked, home-cooked breakfast every day for months on end can be exhausting. If you were large enough to hire someone to help out then it would make sense. If you are small and doing all the work yourself you may find it easier to manage if you choose one of the other options.
I don't think we're as busy as you are given your location vs mine but we generally go non-stop from May-Oct. We can have up to 17 in the house at the same time and it's just us doing the breakfast. Yes, it is exhausting to try to come up with something that suits the dietary restrictions but isn't cardboard on toast. The cooking part is easier than the planning part but maybe I'm saying that because I'm the planner and not the cook!
With several oppotunities on the horizon, I am finding myself having to think harder about some of these questions as I may very well be taking the leap sooner rather than later. If you hire help (cost aside - assuming it is justified by volume) how do you split time attending to guests entering the dining room and being a control freak in the kitchen? ie wanting to control the preparation/cooking/plating part as well as being an attentive host.
The three properties are very different and thus breakfast would be too.
Option three is raw land and I could build and create whatever I wanted. (yes I have said I don't like "build it they will come". But...this may be the right choice for the longer term.)
Does anyone have hired help in the kitchen?
If you hire help you delegate, you do not spend your time in the kitchen watching them work. You hire trustworthy people and you get on with what you are going to do. That's how you divvy up your time.
My DH cooks. I serve and socialize. I do not stand around watching him cook unless he's ready to plate and I need to hand him the dishes.
New word: delegate!
wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
If you hire help you delegate, you do not spend your time in the kitchen watching them work. You hire trustworthy people and you get on with what you are going to do. That's how you divvy up your time.
My DH cooks. I serve and socialize. I do not stand around watching him cook unless he's ready to plate and I need to hand him the dishes.
wink_smile.gif
I am vaguely familar with that word....guess we will have to become better friends. :-D OK well I guess a cook/chef or maybe a DH will go in the budget if I go with the larger place.
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
I am vaguely familar with that word....guess we will have to become better friends. :-D OK well I guess a cook/chef or maybe a DH will go in the budget if I go with the larger place.
See that is a story idea. Single female innkeeper looking for good lookin' male cook/dishwasher, just wonder how much of an increase in occupancy for girls getaways there would be if there was a single good lookin' cook/dishwasher?
How about:
"Seeking former Chippendale Dancer that cooks for unique opportunity."
Weaver said:
Be careful what you wish for...
snl.jpg

If I saw 'continental' I would assume someone laid the breakfast out each morning in the dining room. 'Self-catered' implies there is a fridge in the room where everything is stored and that I probably have to bring some of it myself.
If a bed and breakfast had 3 or 4 rooms, would it be worth doing a continental breakfast, or better to do a served breakfast?
Olga said:
See THIS post where K said, "Started with Continental Plus - switched quickly to full breakfast (guests were disappointed and full is easier)". Perhaps you can ask her to elaborate on it.
Arkansawyer said:
Olga said:
See THIS post where K said, "Started with Continental Plus - switched quickly to full breakfast (guests were disappointed and full is easier)". Perhaps you can ask her to elaborate on it.
K is baaaack!! MY definitions:
Continental = coffee, juice, and sweet rolls/bagels/toast
Continental Plus: All the above plus fruit but I did several kinds of breads and muffins (guests expected BREAKFAST!)
Self-catered: Food in fridge and cabinets. You cook it / we clean it up.
Catered: We deliver a basket/tray
Full Breakfast: juice, fruit, entree (sometimes with sausage or bacon depending on the entree), coffee/tea - this is actually easier than trying to bake 4 or 5 kinds of muffins and breads plus dealing with the leftovers.)
Since I started out with 3 w/shared I tried to make up for my deficiencies with SERVICE. Breakfast has always been "you tell me what time" but the time window changed after I started the overnight stabling. Breakfast is served between 4 AM and 10 AM, at the time the guests tell me. Thankfully the 4 AM is rare even with the horse people - 6 AM is the usual for them. I have 3 rooms and will sometimes have 3 breakfast times. No problem - all get the same breakfast, I just stagger the time I put it in the oven. I am not a "short-order" cook. Breakfast is cook's choice.
The most I have served at one breakfast is 11 - they were the family of a new-minted Eagle Scout and our gift to him was for him and the family members staying at his house joining the 3 aunts & husbands who were staying here for breakfast. His Mom was able to have a nice breakfast with everyone and NOT worry about serving. They were "cheek-to-jowl" at the table but no one cared. I have several breakfasts I can make that will serve that many. Our usual full-house is 6 to 7 bodies. This makes almost more dishes than DH can handle these days. That extra 2 or 3 place settings are a killer for him.

That depends on you and how much you want to do. We had a 3 room place and we always served breakfast. I think it is quite expected from the smaller B & B's...I mean that is what it is about. Bed and Breakfast. If people want continental, they can go to a hotel.
Totally agree! A bed and breakfast should be a sit down served meal! If I want to serve my self I will stay at a hotel! When we stay at B & B's I want to be pampered! We have had a lot of guests over the years that stayed with us because we serve a hot meal! We always make something different everyday. The guests love that. We also never tell them the day before what we will be serving. Unless it is a repeat and they request something. It's a surprise each morning and they love that!
I agree....both on the meaning of the terms "continental vs. self-catered" and the advantages of serving a full breakfast if you are a small B+B. We are the only small B+B, in a popular destination, that serves a full breakfast. Granted, we had to go through all the training, testing and permitting to be able to cook and serve food, but we also charge more and appeal to those looking for more "luxury" and pampering. This is totally consistent with our unique location, limited availability and "boutique B+B" branding.
Silverspoon said:
I don't think we're as busy as you are given your location vs mine but we generally go non-stop from May-Oct. We can have up to 17 in the house at the same time and it's just us doing the breakfast. Yes, it is exhausting to try to come up with something that suits the dietary restrictions but isn't cardboard on toast. The cooking part is easier than the planning part but maybe I'm saying that because I'm the planner and not the cook!
With several oppotunities on the horizon, I am finding myself having to think harder about some of these questions as I may very well be taking the leap sooner rather than later. If you hire help (cost aside - assuming it is justified by volume) how do you split time attending to guests entering the dining room and being a control freak in the kitchen? ie wanting to control the preparation/cooking/plating part as well as being an attentive host.
The three properties are very different and thus breakfast would be too.
Option three is raw land and I could build and create whatever I wanted. (yes I have said I don't like "build it they will come". But...this may be the right choice for the longer term.)
Does anyone have hired help in the kitchen?
wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
Weaver said:
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif
See that is a story idea. Single female innkeeper looking for good lookin' male cook/dishwasher, just wonder how much of an increase in occupancy for girls getaways there would be if there was a single good lookin' cook/dishwasher?
How about:
Weaver said:
Be careful what you wish for...
snl.jpg

TTTTOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNNNNNNY!
Yes, I should be careful what I wish for. How about "Extremely fit, good looking former Chippendale ......"
Or
Attractive, fit, single, confident chef, enjoys flirting over coffee, must do dishes, no table dancing or windows required."

Olga said:
In a way we do both. We have various items out for people to help themselves..... cereals, fruit, yogs, juices .... and then we cook 1 item for them from the daily menu. I think guests here would be very disappointed if they weren't offered something served/cooked.
that is very much like our model. if you need to be out before 7:30 you have all the things you mentioned. from 7:30 to 9:00 there are "hot choices" as well. people do seem to appreciate this with the before and after breakfast time people still able to have something "substantial"

Olga said:
In a way we do both. We have various items out for people to help themselves..... cereals, fruit, yogs, juices .... and then we cook 1 item for them from the daily menu. I think guests here would be very disappointed if they weren't offered something served/cooked.
that is very much like our model. if you need to be out before 7:30 you have all the things you mentioned. from 7:30 to 9:00 there are "hot choices" as well. people do seem to appreciate this with the before and after breakfast time people still able to have something "substantial"

Olga said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
I like that idea.

Back