Question for TripAdvisor

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's unbelievable that they post a review based on a freaking phone call! Even bedandbreakfast.com doesn't post a review if the guest hasn't actually stayed there. I would be outraged also, especially if it bumps your ranking. I don't agree that you shouldn't follow your reviews by watching the various websites for postings. That's just negligence and risky. Why not address something if you have the control to do so?
I'm sorry this is happening. Your other reviews are outstanding - try to focus on all those.

Rikki - sorry you are dealing with this, but also glad you did not bow to their blackmail tactics. I am beginning to feel more and more like Rupert not this issue. You just can't let this rule your life or you will be on pins and needles with every guest, every phone call and each email reply. And no matter what is written - about you or your business, it IS about you because you are your business!

Rikki - sorry you are dealing with this, but also glad you did not bow to their blackmail tactics. I am beginning to feel more and more like Rupert not this issue. You just can't let this rule your life or you will be on pins and needles with every guest, every phone call and each email reply. And no matter what is written - about you or your business, it IS about you because you are your business!.
I found the name of the fellow that has been posting on the PAII chatboard and he told me it normally takes 48 hours for the management response to come up, and he was not sure where I got the 3-7 day timeframe. I told him that's what the website told me when I submitted it, unless I'm not recalling it correctly.
He still did not answer my question as to why their review goes up right away and I have to wait to see mine go up.
But the room's been rebooked, and I don't let it bother me. It's not that bad a review if one reads it - they are basically complaining that I did not change my established policies to suit them. They wanted to be able to cancel up to the day of arrival in case their Grandmother passed away, but assured us she would "probably bounce back".
I think the average person would see that we tried to work with her.
RIki

Just as a side note, any of us can have our grandmother pass away at any time. Or spouse, or children.
Jus' sayin'...
* Remember y'all when you put TA in the thread, esp title it comes up like a house on fire in searches, so if you wish to remain anon or not post things that will come back, just be careful. Just wanted to say that, as you will recall on quite a few occasions we had some pretty fired up new members as they found a TA thread on this forum. (One I started and wished I hadn't by that point!)

Rikki - sorry you are dealing with this, but also glad you did not bow to their blackmail tactics. I am beginning to feel more and more like Rupert not this issue. You just can't let this rule your life or you will be on pins and needles with every guest, every phone call and each email reply. And no matter what is written - about you or your business, it IS about you because you are your business!.
I found the name of the fellow that has been posting on the PAII chatboard and he told me it normally takes 48 hours for the management response to come up, and he was not sure where I got the 3-7 day timeframe. I told him that's what the website told me when I submitted it, unless I'm not recalling it correctly.
He still did not answer my question as to why their review goes up right away and I have to wait to see mine go up.
But the room's been rebooked, and I don't let it bother me. It's not that bad a review if one reads it - they are basically complaining that I did not change my established policies to suit them. They wanted to be able to cancel up to the day of arrival in case their Grandmother passed away, but assured us she would "probably bounce back".
I think the average person would see that we tried to work with her.
RIki
Absolutely reads that you tried to work with them and I hope you mentioned in your management response that these prospective guests were not charged. The thing that really ticks me off is that your dh is characterized as "rude" which is the standard adjective used for innkeepers that abide by their policies! And, I continue to be appalled that people can post a bad review without even experiencing a property. It's stupid.
Breathe, just breathe..........
regular_smile.gif

Seems like this review site posts negative reviews quickly. I have written positive reviews and not seen them posted for days.
It still aggravates me to no end that someone can write a negative review and have it posted and never have even stayed with you!
angry_smile.gif
Worse, they can have a negative review posted based on a phone call or email interaction with you (or your innkeeping partner or staff) that is from their perspective about unhappiness with your policies regarding discounts, cancellation time frame, deposits, or any of a myriad of other factors. There's something wrong with that system.
Be strong....you were in the right here (although I know that doesn't help) and people will see the professionalism of your response. I also agree....I don't pick a place because it's #1, #2, or whatever...I look at the content of reviews.
Sorry this happened to you....a lot of us have been there and it just stinks!!
pita.gif

I have been upset about a bad review (actually I am a bit spoilt as I consider a review that markes me as average is bad) but I had 3 really good ones on Laterooms today (one titled B&B as it should be) I am seriously considering giving up reading them as it is not worth the mental agro. I don't believe that people should be allowed to review you on the basis of one interaction when they didn't even stay..
My dh and I were on a short cruise vacation when our fake review showed up. Yeah, that was nice....my stomach was in knots for days as I emailed this review site every day. We innkeepers take it all very personally....because it IS!!! Sorry that's happening to you too. Cheers from across the Pond!
heart.gif

I just read something y'all don't want to think about. This is not factual by any means, but it is something to realize that they want the mixed reviews, they want to spice it up.
"Does Trip Advisor employee people to post bad reviews which generates more hits ... Is it possible that Trip Advisor is generating bad reviews by employing..."

I just read something y'all don't want to think about. This is not factual by any means, but it is something to realize that they want the mixed reviews, they want to spice it up.
"Does Trip Advisor employee people to post bad reviews which generates more hits ... Is it possible that Trip Advisor is generating bad reviews by employing..." .
Joey Bloggs said:
"Does Trip Advisor employee people to post bad reviews which generates more hits ... Is it possible that Trip Advisor is generating bad reviews by employing..."
Since it takes several days for a great review to show, and no time at all for a bad one, I firmly believe this.
RIki

They seem to have a policy of posting all reviews immediately, then going back and reviewing the review and if it doesn't fit their standards removing it. They DO NOT CARE about you, the business owner, at all. And yes, the "juicy" bit is exactly right...
Edited after I read the review to add that #1, this is the ONLY review this person has written, so it clearly shows they were just upset. #2, in light of the positively glowing reviews that make up the rest of your listing I wouldn't (as a guest) give this one a second thought. Finally, the review actually shows that you stick to your policies, even what she said about Chris' words sounds like he was being professional..
Actually the guests we get that check us and pick us partially basing their decision on TripAdvisor have been wonderful. When you figure they are spending for the room AND the wine tour, that gets up there in price, and they feel more confident committing to the cost with good tripadvisor reviews.
We probably will more benefit from looking more REAL than before with only great reviews. At least that's what I hope.
But I continue to REFUSE to be blackmailed by people threatening me with bad reviews if I don't do what they want.
RIki
Yes, but you don't know that they're picking you because you're a certain number...it sounds like they are picking you because you have so many good reviews. I'm talking about the people who would ONLY pick you because you're a certain ranking, they are the ones always looking for trouble.
I hope they put your response up soon, I would bug them until they do. Our innkeeper friends repeatedly threaten legal action (because she is an attorney) and they seem to get what they want, and quickly, from TA.
I will have to figure out how to contact them. You know they are not interested in hearing from innkeepers. And I have to wait the 3-7 days they say it takes to put the response up.
RIki
I sent TA one of those notes "inapproriate posting" things...I know they just require guest interaction of some type..but i think that is plain wrong. It probably won't help you any but heck I felt like sending those folks an email
devil_smile.gif

It's unbelievable that they post a review based on a freaking phone call! Even bedandbreakfast.com doesn't post a review if the guest hasn't actually stayed there. I would be outraged also, especially if it bumps your ranking. I don't agree that you shouldn't follow your reviews by watching the various websites for postings. That's just negligence and risky. Why not address something if you have the control to do so?
I'm sorry this is happening. Your other reviews are outstanding - try to focus on all those..
It is absolutely NOT negligence or risky. When TA becomes legitimate by demanding proof of stay and/or user identity then I will worry about it. Right now it's simply a site where anyone can post anything they like with 0 accountability. Waste of my time.

They seem to have a policy of posting all reviews immediately, then going back and reviewing the review and if it doesn't fit their standards removing it. They DO NOT CARE about you, the business owner, at all. And yes, the "juicy" bit is exactly right...
Edited after I read the review to add that #1, this is the ONLY review this person has written, so it clearly shows they were just upset. #2, in light of the positively glowing reviews that make up the rest of your listing I wouldn't (as a guest) give this one a second thought. Finally, the review actually shows that you stick to your policies, even what she said about Chris' words sounds like he was being professional..
Actually the guests we get that check us and pick us partially basing their decision on TripAdvisor have been wonderful. When you figure they are spending for the room AND the wine tour, that gets up there in price, and they feel more confident committing to the cost with good tripadvisor reviews.
We probably will more benefit from looking more REAL than before with only great reviews. At least that's what I hope.
But I continue to REFUSE to be blackmailed by people threatening me with bad reviews if I don't do what they want.
RIki
Yes, but you don't know that they're picking you because you're a certain number...it sounds like they are picking you because you have so many good reviews. I'm talking about the people who would ONLY pick you because you're a certain ranking, they are the ones always looking for trouble.
I hope they put your response up soon, I would bug them until they do. Our innkeeper friends repeatedly threaten legal action (because she is an attorney) and they seem to get what they want, and quickly, from TA.
I will have to figure out how to contact them. You know they are not interested in hearing from innkeepers. And I have to wait the 3-7 days they say it takes to put the response up.
RIki
I sent TA one of those notes "inapproriate posting" things...I know they just require guest interaction of some type..but i think that is plain wrong. It probably won't help you any but heck I felt like sending those folks an email
devil_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
Aww that was nice, thank you. Now I just got an email from iLoveInns - a directory which I DO NOT BELONG TO AND AM NOT LISTED ON. They have informed me that I have received a bad review and that they are holding off posting it on their website until my response has shown up.
I emailed them and told them that I don't understand why they are threatening to post bad information about my inn on their website when I'm not in their directory, and that this email has further enforced my decision to NEVER join their directory. Cheeze!
RIki

RIki
RIki
devil_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
Aww that was nice, thank you. Now I just got an email from iLoveInns - a directory which I DO NOT BELONG TO AND AM NOT LISTED ON. They have informed me that I have received a bad review and that they are holding off posting it on their website until my response has shown up.
I emailed them and told them that I don't understand why they are threatening to post bad information about my inn on their website when I'm not in their directory, and that this email has further enforced my decision to NEVER join their directory. Cheeze!
RIki
obviously they are going to every review site to post a bad review.
After all......you jilted them and were insensitive to their grandmothers condition.
LOL.......I had a chuckle typing that

RIki
RIki
devil_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
RIki
After all......you jilted them and were insensitive to their grandmothers condition.
One Day said:
Oh no you misunderstand. iLoveInns emailed that I had a bad review on TripAdvisor. I am not listed with i Loveinns so nobody could list a bad review there. iLoveinns obviously lists the TripAdvisor reviews on their own website and can't tell who is listed with them and who is not.
riki

RIki
RIki
devil_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
RIki
One Day said:
Oh no you misunderstand. iLoveInns emailed that I had a bad review on TripAdvisor. I am not listed with i Loveinns so nobody could list a bad review there. iLoveinns obviously lists the TripAdvisor reviews on their own website and can't tell who is listed with them and who is not.
riki
Oh........OK........how is ilvinns getting the headsup on the review?
This would have me disturbed

**phew** the response just finally went up. Now it does not look bad to me at all. My favorite part of my response is that I'm "grateful that they abided by the policy so that I could rebook." I'm trying to kill with kindness. I really am grateful as it would have been impossible to rebook both the suite and the wine tours at the last minute had they not shown up on Friday. AND I would have had a picnic dinner all sitting in the suite that I would have had to eat.
Riki

RIki
RIki
devil_smile.gif

catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
RIki
One Day said:
riki
One Day said:
Probably the same way that Google pulls them. When I see my business listing with Google they show all my Yahoo Travel and TripAdvisor reviews. It's just plain that iLoveInns does not check to see which are actually listed with them
RIki

**phew** the response just finally went up. Now it does not look bad to me at all. My favorite part of my response is that I'm "grateful that they abided by the policy so that I could rebook." I'm trying to kill with kindness. I really am grateful as it would have been impossible to rebook both the suite and the wine tours at the last minute had they not shown up on Friday. AND I would have had a picnic dinner all sitting in the suite that I would have had to eat.
Riki.
Yep..just saw it. It will be just fine. Don't fret about it any more.

R, you rock!!! I love it, love every thing you said and how you said, well done!!!!
Then the title makes me chuckle, really? No kidding. YOU ARE NOW BANNED! haha

That is why I don't mind the Booking.com and Laterooms ones as after they have stayed it sends them an email and a link to review so they have to have stayed. That's fine with me but TA is so easily manipulated its unreal. I used to know a hotel that paid its employees $50 a good review and another one a bottle of wine it is a joke really.

Back