Question for TripAdvisor

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
I have a question for TripAdvisor. We have just had our first bad review. I refused to be blackmailed into changing my cancellation policy. The guest called and Chris answered the phone. Grandmother is going to pass away any day. They are booked for Labor Day Weekend, and see that they had until yesterday to cancel without losing their deposit.
They want to be able to cancel at the last minute should Grandmother die. There is every possibility that she will "bounce back" but they are not sure.
Chris tried to see if they could book another weekend since their situation was so stressful, but said that we could not change our policy - we are only a two room inn etc. They were insulted and cancelled.
We have of course refilled the room already.
My question: Their rotton review was posted the same day it was sent.
My calm response is still not up there.
Why does it take zero time for a bad review to be posted, but 3-7 days for my response to be "checked" before it is posted? They need some time to show only one side of something juicy first?
RIki

Sorry...you now have the experience that so many others have had before you. Don't worry about it...,move on. If all your other reviews are great and I know they are...people read right through the one nasty one. And...people will see...they did not even experience your B & B. Mgt response should be posted shortly. Good luck

They seem to have a policy of posting all reviews immediately, then going back and reviewing the review and if it doesn't fit their standards removing it. They DO NOT CARE about you, the business owner, at all. And yes, the "juicy" bit is exactly right...
Edited after I read the review to add that #1, this is the ONLY review this person has written, so it clearly shows they were just upset. #2, in light of the positively glowing reviews that make up the rest of your listing I wouldn't (as a guest) give this one a second thought. Finally, the review actually shows that you stick to your policies, even what she said about Chris' words sounds like he was being professional.

Sorry...you now have the experience that so many others have had before you. Don't worry about it...,move on. If all your other reviews are great and I know they are...people read right through the one nasty one. And...people will see...they did not even experience your B & B. Mgt response should be posted shortly. Good luck.
The problem with the review is that it will drag her down at least 5 slots on TA. With only 35 reviews, 1 review with 1 star makes a BIG difference. Yes, I know from experience. I dropped from 1st to 4th with ONE bad review.

Sorry...you now have the experience that so many others have had before you. Don't worry about it...,move on. If all your other reviews are great and I know they are...people read right through the one nasty one. And...people will see...they did not even experience your B & B. Mgt response should be posted shortly. Good luck.
The problem with the review is that it will drag her down at least 5 slots on TA. With only 35 reviews, 1 review with 1 star makes a BIG difference. Yes, I know from experience. I dropped from 1st to 4th with ONE bad review.
Oh my, I am so glad I know nothing about this math. To devote so much precious innkeeper energy to this crappy company and their bogus "rankings", it's just not worth it to this keeper.
Again, I can only emphasize over and over that AS A POTENTIAL GUEST, I don't give a rip who's first, second, third, etc. on TA. I'm looking at each place's website and finding the one I like best...then checking TA to be sure it's not roach infested or looks nothing like the website...as long as it's nothing horrible I"m going with my first choice no matter their TA ranking.
Also, as an innkeeper, I can attest that I 100% DO NOT WANT guests who are choosing me solely because I'm #1, #2, etc. They are, without exception, PITAS looking for something to complain about.

They seem to have a policy of posting all reviews immediately, then going back and reviewing the review and if it doesn't fit their standards removing it. They DO NOT CARE about you, the business owner, at all. And yes, the "juicy" bit is exactly right...
Edited after I read the review to add that #1, this is the ONLY review this person has written, so it clearly shows they were just upset. #2, in light of the positively glowing reviews that make up the rest of your listing I wouldn't (as a guest) give this one a second thought. Finally, the review actually shows that you stick to your policies, even what she said about Chris' words sounds like he was being professional..
Yes, she was absolutely lying when she said Chris was rude. He has never been rude to anyone. And it's hard to see what she was trying to do from her write up as she is skirting around the fact she wanted to permission to cancel at the last minute before a Holiday weekend.
The response that I'm waiting to see is:
"We are very sorry that we could not change our cancellation policy for this guest. I believe most travel businesses (airlines, hotels, B&Bs) have cancellation policies such as ours.
When asked if they could cancel their reservation for Labor Day Weekend at the last minute, Chris suggested they choose another weekend when their situation was less stressful, and tried to explain we cannot rebook a holiday weekend at the last minute. Since the guest did cancel according to our policy timeframe, we have been able to rebook the suite, for which we are very grateful"
And yes, Catlady is correct, we very well may lose our second place listing for Charlottesville B&Bs - something we worked very hard to achieve. Oops I meant Morticia!
RIki

Edited after I read the review to add that #1, this is the ONLY review this person has written, so it clearly shows they were just upset. #2, in light of the positively glowing reviews that make up the rest of your listing I wouldn't (as a guest) give this one a second thought. Finally, the review actually shows that you stick to your policies, even what she said about Chris' words sounds like he was being professional..
Actually the guests we get that check us and pick us partially basing their decision on TripAdvisor have been wonderful. When you figure they are spending for the room AND the wine tour, that gets up there in price, and they feel more confident committing to the cost with good tripadvisor reviews.
We probably will more benefit from looking more REAL than before with only great reviews. At least that's what I hope.
But I continue to REFUSE to be blackmailed by people threatening me with bad reviews if I don't do what they want.
RIki

Actually the guests we get that check us and pick us partially basing their decision on TripAdvisor have been wonderful. When you figure they are spending for the room AND the wine tour, that gets up there in price, and they feel more confident committing to the cost with good tripadvisor reviews.
We probably will more benefit from looking more REAL than before with only great reviews. At least that's what I hope.
But I continue to REFUSE to be blackmailed by people threatening me with bad reviews if I don't do what they want.
RIki
Yes, but you don't know that they're picking you because you're a certain number...it sounds like they are picking you because you have so many good reviews. I'm talking about the people who would ONLY pick you because you're a certain ranking, they are the ones always looking for trouble.
I hope they put your response up soon, I would bug them until they do. Our innkeeper friends repeatedly threaten legal action (because she is an attorney) and they seem to get what they want, and quickly, from TA.

RIki
Yes, but you don't know that they're picking you because you're a certain number...it sounds like they are picking you because you have so many good reviews. I'm talking about the people who would ONLY pick you because you're a certain ranking, they are the ones always looking for trouble.
I hope they put your response up soon, I would bug them until they do. Our innkeeper friends repeatedly threaten legal action (because she is an attorney) and they seem to get what they want, and quickly, from TA.
I will have to figure out how to contact them. You know they are not interested in hearing from innkeepers. And I have to wait the 3-7 days they say it takes to put the response up.
RIki

RIki
I will have to figure out how to contact them. You know they are not interested in hearing from innkeepers. And I have to wait the 3-7 days they say it takes to put the response up.
RIki
They always email, don't think they've ever gotten to speak to anyone on the phone.

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Good for you. You could cave and they could write whatever they want anyway. OR, worse still, write exactly what happened...they manipulated you and you caved. THAT you don't want.

RIki
RIki
They now have a phone number for innkeepers, or so they told me, anyway here it is 866-322-5942 - I have had success in the past working with them - just remember, we all talk about PITAS - when you call them don't become what we dislike, and you might be surprised

RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
They review your response to make sure YOU don't call the reviewer a liar. Being as you pretty much said what the reviewer did, there should be no problem with your response going up. But, yes, in the time it takes to go up, many, many people are reading that review and thinking you don't care enough to respond to it. It stinks. Let them put up BOTH review and response and THEN go back and 'check for accuracy' OR, don't put up either until they've been verified.
And now for another idea...if the reviewer doesn't verify they posted it, it comes down. Then your mgmt response would be hanging out there making no sense whatsoever. So, maybe it is better that they wait a couple of days.

RIki
RIki
They now have a phone number for innkeepers, or so they told me, anyway here it is 866-322-5942 - I have had success in the past working with them - just remember, we all talk about PITAS - when you call them don't become what we dislike, and you might be surprised
Boomer said:
Somewhere in the past few weeks someone saying they were a TA rep came on here and posted a phone number. Asked us not to call another phone number or email that person. For the life of me I can't find that thread.

I have been upset about a bad review (actually I am a bit spoilt as I consider a review that markes me as average is bad) but I had 3 really good ones on Laterooms today (one titled B&B as it should be) I am seriously considering giving up reading them as it is not worth the mental agro. I don't believe that people should be allowed to review you on the basis of one interaction when they didn't even stay.

This is why I would like to see a site called GuestAdvisor.com - a place we can post anonymously about the PITAS we face on a daily basis -I know it would be a liability to our business, but I can dream can't I?

Sorry that happened Riki. You stick to your policies, you did the right thing. Tell C he is a super nice and excellent innkeeper, not to let this get him down at all.

RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
They review your response to make sure YOU don't call the reviewer a liar. Being as you pretty much said what the reviewer did, there should be no problem with your response going up. But, yes, in the time it takes to go up, many, many people are reading that review and thinking you don't care enough to respond to it. It stinks. Let them put up BOTH review and response and THEN go back and 'check for accuracy' OR, don't put up either until they've been verified.
And now for another idea...if the reviewer doesn't verify they posted it, it comes down. Then your mgmt response would be hanging out there making no sense whatsoever. So, maybe it is better that they wait a couple of days.
Interesting comment, Mort....since I had my experience with someone posting a fake review full of lies (which eventually was removed) and I had 2 stabs at a management response declined for the reason that I was "attacking the reviewer" simply by stating this person hadn't stayed with us, I've seen quite a few management responses which actually have come out and called the reviewer a liar. An exerpt from a management response when the reviewer made numerous complaints and stated that they'd never be back...
"When they checked out, the father found me specifically to tell us that they'd be back, that it was the nicest place they'd stayed. You have to wonder, if people complain, only to get money back, when they only complain AFTER they leave, especially when here for that long."

This is why I would like to see a site called GuestAdvisor.com - a place we can post anonymously about the PITAS we face on a daily basis -I know it would be a liability to our business, but I can dream can't I?.
There are several websites that list bad tippers, including celebs. Sure seems like we should be able to to it, too. GuestAdvisor.com - get the truth before they show!

I have been upset about a bad review (actually I am a bit spoilt as I consider a review that markes me as average is bad) but I had 3 really good ones on Laterooms today (one titled B&B as it should be) I am seriously considering giving up reading them as it is not worth the mental agro. I don't believe that people should be allowed to review you on the basis of one interaction when they didn't even stay..
DO IT!!!! GIVE IT UP!!!! You'll never look back.
There's taking things personally and then there's desperately needing validation/feedback. The excellent innkeepers on this forum really don't need to do either of those...

Back