Question - Where is the post on the on-line customer service work ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondAct

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the post that came out within the last couple of months about someone who was working for an on-line customer service company for extra income. Schedules were flexible, companies were well-known brands, etc. Does anyone remember the name of the website, or can you point me back to the thread? Thanks!

I think she was working for Disney. At least she talked about the Disney characters and scheduling breakfasts. Not sure if she ever mentioned it by name, tho, so it may be tough to search. This is it.

Yeah it is Arise. I am getting set up to do the same thing as well. It has been a long process though. I started in mid October. Had to fill out an application, do a background check for $15, call a number and read a script, wait to hear back. Then take the ACP 101 course. Only costed me $25 for the class but it is now $99. Then I had to buy a new computer that meets their requirements since I only had a Macintosh. Have another phone line installed that is dedicated to the customer service business. Buy a wired headset from Plantronics and set up a wired internet connection. I also had to incorporate. That was a big long process and it is expensive. Now I am waiting for a job opportunity to come along. They don't just give them to you. You need to check back everyday to see what is listed and if it is of interest you need to apply ASAP as the class can fill up 5 minutes after being posted. You have to pay for your own training for the class. Right now the jobs open are for AAA roadside assistance in New Jersey. The other one is for Jewelry Television. I live in California so I couldn't apply for Jewelry Television since they only allow people from certain states to apply. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Through my reserach I have also found other companies that do the same things. Here is a list. Liveops, West At Home, Alpine Access. I have applied at all of these and still have not heard back. I heard it can take months somtimes. Liveops sounds great but they are not hiring in California right now :(

I have no doubt that with the current economic climate, people losing jobs every day, that the at-home on-line jobs are going to become harder and harder to come by. It's good that you got all your preliminaries done already. Thanks for the tips on the other companies!

Yeah it is Arise. I am getting set up to do the same thing as well. It has been a long process though. I started in mid October. Had to fill out an application, do a background check for $15, call a number and read a script, wait to hear back. Then take the ACP 101 course. Only costed me $25 for the class but it is now $99. Then I had to buy a new computer that meets their requirements since I only had a Macintosh. Have another phone line installed that is dedicated to the customer service business. Buy a wired headset from Plantronics and set up a wired internet connection. I also had to incorporate. That was a big long process and it is expensive. Now I am waiting for a job opportunity to come along. They don't just give them to you. You need to check back everyday to see what is listed and if it is of interest you need to apply ASAP as the class can fill up 5 minutes after being posted. You have to pay for your own training for the class. Right now the jobs open are for AAA roadside assistance in New Jersey. The other one is for Jewelry Television. I live in California so I couldn't apply for Jewelry Television since they only allow people from certain states to apply. Let me know if you have any questions about this..
It sounds as if you have had a lot of expense for a maybe. That is what this group reacted to when that was posted. Have you received one dime of income from going through all THEIR HOOPS and requiremetns?

I have not received one dime of income yet. Hopefully I will once I sign up with a company to work for. I didn't sign up with the AAA because I don't know the New Jersey area. I thought it would be strange to answer calls from people broken down in New Jersey with me being in California and I had just missed the California AAA posting by one day. I just have to wait for them to become open. I am looking forward to this though. I have heard that Staples is really good to work for.

I have not received one dime of income yet. Hopefully I will once I sign up with a company to work for. I didn't sign up with the AAA because I don't know the New Jersey area. I thought it would be strange to answer calls from people broken down in New Jersey with me being in California and I had just missed the California AAA posting by one day. I just have to wait for them to become open. I am looking forward to this though. I have heard that Staples is really good to work for..
Remember the old adage..."if it sounds too good to be true...it usually isn't!!!" I know times are tough..but don't get taken by these "work at home scams"..you will end up regretting it for sure.

Here is a recent article on the work at home agents: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D94MR65G4.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7254610/

Well I am in training right now to take calls for ToysRus!!! I am really excited about this! The other opening was for Carnival Cruise Lines....taking reservations but that one doesn't start until January

Well I am in training right now to take calls for ToysRus!!! I am really excited about this! The other opening was for Carnival Cruise Lines....taking reservations but that one doesn't start until January.
Congratulations. Keep us posted as to how it works out. I am very much hoping this tuens out to be profitable for you. I mean that sincerely (this is not a snarky comment it is heartfelt).

i want to know how it works out as well
i was reluctant to continue with the process because i did not want to give my ss# online. i have heard about the different companies, some with good reputations. and if you can work from home doing customer service, why not YOU instead of us calling support in india?

i was reluctant to continue with the process because i did not want to give my ss# online. i have heard about the different companies, some with good reputations. and if you can work from home doing customer service, why not YOU instead of us calling support in india?.
I WOULD NEVER give my SS# on line. That just smacks of potential problems to me. I don't care how good a reuputation a company has, someone can ALWAYS FAKE their site and make you think you are actually there when you are not.
There are just too many scam stories on the news today ..so everyone PLEASE be VERY LEARY of what you do on line!!!!!

i was reluctant to continue with the process because i did not want to give my ss# online. i have heard about the different companies, some with good reputations. and if you can work from home doing customer service, why not YOU instead of us calling support in india?.
I WOULD NEVER give my SS# on line. That just smacks of potential problems to me. I don't care how good a reuputation a company has, someone can ALWAYS FAKE their site and make you think you are actually there when you are not.
There are just too many scam stories on the news today ..so everyone PLEASE be VERY LEARY of what you do on line!!!!!
Funny, you have to submit your SS# to register for online service through the local unemployment office...I think they are using it to not only find people jobs but to try to find criminals looking for work! They won't show the job listings without your SS#, kinda lame, I think!

There are some sites where you have to give a social security number. I have learned that many colleges has done away with paper applications and now you can only apply online and you have to put in your SS #. Also with applying for financial aid for college it is the same way.

There are some sites where you have to give a social security number. I have learned that many colleges has done away with paper applications and now you can only apply online and you have to put in your SS #. Also with applying for financial aid for college it is the same way.
Yes, the number that was supposed to be private, secret and never given to anyone! Ahhhhh, the way government works. It took less than 50 years for that promise to be broken (we are not giving the citizens number to track them with.... Right!).

Yes, the number that was supposed to be private, secret and never given to anyone! Ahhhhh, the way government works. It took less than 50 years for that promise to be broken (we are not giving the citizens number to track them with.... Right!).
gillumhouse said:
Picture me lying on a bed in the ER last Friday...registration person shows up to ask me my info (very nice they let me in with nothing but my insurance card and no other info). She asks for address, phone, next of kin, SSN. She got everything but SSN. And I told her, 'I do not give that out.' She walked away and didn't say boo.
And yet hubs gives out his SSN to get damn satellite TV. No way, Jose, I told him. You better not have given them MY SSN for the damn TV.
Unless you are paying me money or I am borrowing money from you, you do not get my SSN. If I have to do without TV, so be it. No SSN to get TV service. That is a crock.

gillumhouse said:
Picture me lying on a bed in the ER last Friday...registration person shows up to ask me my info (very nice they let me in with nothing but my insurance card and no other info). She asks for address, phone, next of kin, SSN. She got everything but SSN. And I told her, 'I do not give that out.' She walked away and didn't say boo.
And yet hubs gives out his SSN to get damn satellite TV. No way, Jose, I told him. You better not have given them MY SSN for the damn TV.
Unless you are paying me money or I am borrowing money from you, you do not get my SSN. If I have to do without TV, so be it. No SSN to get TV service. That is a crock.
Bree said:
Picture me lying on a bed in the ER last Friday...registration person shows up to ask me my info (very nice they let me in with nothing but my insurance card and no other info).
ER bed??? Are you OK???
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

There was a blurp on this evenings news about this SSN issue. Seems that since unemployment is rising daily, there have been quite a few emails hitting peoples boxes with job offers and providing fraudulent websites that ask you to pay $$ to apply and require your SSN.
I get some of these in my spam folder and just delete but IF I were out of work and using the net to find a job, those emails could be mistaken for something I requested. Scarry!!!!
Now I am not saying that the Co. that started this thread is fraudulent, as they are not (as far as I know) out sending spam emails to the general population. So far from what I have researched they are a legit company and are not, as others have pointed out, the only ones out there requiring your SSN to apply. Our daughter has been looking into this to help her pay her student loans off.

Back