Question....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
I have a question I need some help with. We checked in tonight at the Williamsburg B&B. When we arrived there was a envelope attached to the front door area with my name on it. On the inside was instructions and the key to our room. She put us in a different room than we booked. No one was home when we checked in so we brought out stuff in, etc., then went out to eat and walk around. When we got back here at 11pm there still was no one around. Once we checked on the Inn's website we found out that the room we are in is $30 less per night than the deposit I paid for (I paid $159 and this room's $129). This room is smaller than the one we reserved too. Of course I don't feel I should be paying the higher rate since she put us in a smaller, cheaper room. My question is, how do I tactfully tell her?? Since I haven't seen anyone I was thinking that at breakfast I would let her know I needed to talk to her regarding checking out (we will be leaving here EARLY so I want to get all the checkout stuff done ahead of time) then I will say something about the price difference. Any suggestions would greatly be welcomed!!!!

Earlier in the evening I would have suggested you find a way to contact the innkeeper... even if it meant calling the inn's phone number. Now that it's after midnight you'll need to wait until morning. Do you have your confirmation or anything with you? Are you paying with B&B GC's? If so, I guess you'll see her even though you're checking out early? Or is it that you check out early, but not tomorrow. I'd definitely bring it up and say that you are not in the room you reserved and you'd like a refund of the difference at the very least.
I've been reading your blog... bummer about the disappointments today.
Sorry I'm not more help...
=)
Kk.

I believe you are on the right path to get the two of you in a private location. I would give the innkeeper the benefit of the doubt, a reason may be provided and the bill altered accordingly without confrontation. If a reason is not forthcomming, then you should mention that you noticed you were given a different room than the one you reserved. - Have your reservation, deposit reciept handy. Make note of the price difference and ask how you will be credited.
By your post I can tell you are wanting to handle this in a business like mannor, and if it were me I would be grateful.

Yes approach it from the basis that the innkeeper will do right by you. They may have had to move you to a different room since you are only staying 1 night and it would have blocked a larger reservation in that room. The innkeeper should have notified you though. Not sure if the innkeeper had your cell phone.
Of course it is also possible the innkeeper is trying to take advantage of you, but it never helps to start from that assumption.

I believe you are on the right path to get the two of you in a private location. I would give the innkeeper the benefit of the doubt, a reason may be provided and the bill altered accordingly without confrontation. If a reason is not forthcomming, then you should mention that you noticed you were given a different room than the one you reserved. - Have your reservation, deposit reciept handy. Make note of the price difference and ask how you will be credited.
By your post I can tell you are wanting to handle this in a business like mannor, and if it were me I would be grateful..
Hi Copperhead and welcome to INNspiring.

That is not good. I have never done that, the only thing I have done would be to UPGRADE a guest to a larger more expensive room, and even then, I ONLY ASK FIRST.
Did the note to you indicate anything like "We had an emergency and here is out contact #" or anything?
In your confirmation did it specify that room - the one you are not in?
Keep us posted. I saw a few flags on the website, but want to, like Swirt, give the benefit of the doubt.
I tell ya GG, innkeepers on this forum excel in comparison to the general pop. That is why we are here. Altho we tell funny guest stories, we want to make sure the guest needs are met and they are treated as #1. Keep your chin up.
regular_smile.gif

That is not good. I have never done that, the only thing I have done would be to UPGRADE a guest to a larger more expensive room, and even then, I ONLY ASK FIRST.
Did the note to you indicate anything like "We had an emergency and here is out contact #" or anything?
Keep us posted. I saw a few flags on the website, but want to, like Swirt, give the benefit of the doubt.
I tell ya GG, innkeepers on this forum excel in comparison to the general pop. That is why we are here. Altho we tell funny guest stories, we want to make sure the guest needs are met and they are treated as #1. Keep your chin up.
regular_smile.gif
The Innkeepers are also cater, and there was a note that included thier cell phone, but it did say they were out catering an event, so,I didn't want to bother them if they were busy, I didn't really think about the difference in price range though until we came back to our room after dinner at 11pm and my daughter was looking up their website, that's when we noticed the price difference. Yes, I do have my confirmation with me which states a difference room (the room we wanted) on it, and unlike what Swirt said (I think it was him), we are staying 2 nights, not 1.
If this room was fabulous I probably wouldn't feel the need to say anything, but this room is not what I would expect, there are cobwebs hanging in the corners, mold under the bathmat in the tub and dust everywhere.
What flags did you guys see?? Was it the lack of pictures and small font??

Yes. Lack of photos is major. Tiny font. Lack of information almost to make the website VERY impersonal. There is nothing in it that would give me the feel of the inn. I know they have a paragraph explaining who the innkeepers are, but no photo, nothing very welcoming. Pineapple is a sign of hospitality which the web designer threw on there for them. Laco of being able to navigate the room photos. They have a tour but don't tell you what is what until you go to book. Almost as if they have the right to swap you around if need be. LEt us know if the breakfast is indeed "LAVISH."

Yes approach it from the basis that the innkeeper will do right by you. They may have had to move you to a different room since you are only staying 1 night and it would have blocked a larger reservation in that room. The innkeeper should have notified you though. Not sure if the innkeeper had your cell phone.
Of course it is also possible the innkeeper is trying to take advantage of you, but it never helps to start from that assumption..
Yep, she had my cell phone and I also told her my email address in cast she needed to get ahold of me.
I really do believe the latter part of your post, but I'm hopefully that when we go to breakfast she will approach ME and explain, I really don't want to have to approach her about this.....

Hubs & I are having a disagreement about this now (so what else is new)...he thinks the confirmation is a hard and fast agreement that the guest gets the room they booked. I think it is up to the point where I'm losing money because you're (not you specifically) here for one night and I can book more nights if you're not in that room.
However, I always upgrade, never downgrade. You always get a better room and you always know in advance.
If you book online, I have a notice to let me know if you MUST have the room you chose because I reserve the right to move you (in season) if I need to . Several guests have told me they have to have 2 beds or first floor rooms and I respect that. If I can't upgrade, I don't move the guest.
I have to be out all day so I can't wait to find out how this resolves itself! Definitely approach the innkeepers (not while they are serving breakfast) and say you need to speak with them about checking out early in the morning and when is a convenient time to meet with them after breakfast?
See, they don't need you to check-out, they already have your cc info and can charge you even if you leave without paying. So you'll have to set up a time to meet with them.

If the ROOM name is on the booking, and then on the confirmation, then that is the room they are paying for. If an issue comes up, then the guest can be asked if another room will work. Unless like a hotel all rooms are the same.
In fact, if I had to move a guest I would do something EXTRA for them. Either upgrade to a more expensive room, or give them a discount on the price of the room they are in (so you reserved $179, you got $159, I only charge you $129). Or do something extra elsewhere.
If NOT confirmation is sent out, then you are off the hook to give the guest any room that meets their needs. Perhaps this is why some owners do not send out confirmations? Could be.
The room choice could be as simple as the name appealed to them. So no personal attachment. OR they could be dreaming about something they saw in the photo of the room they chose.

Hubs & I are having a disagreement about this now (so what else is new)...he thinks the confirmation is a hard and fast agreement that the guest gets the room they booked. I think it is up to the point where I'm losing money because you're (not you specifically) here for one night and I can book more nights if you're not in that room.
However, I always upgrade, never downgrade. You always get a better room and you always know in advance.
If you book online, I have a notice to let me know if you MUST have the room you chose because I reserve the right to move you (in season) if I need to . Several guests have told me they have to have 2 beds or first floor rooms and I respect that. If I can't upgrade, I don't move the guest.
I have to be out all day so I can't wait to find out how this resolves itself! Definitely approach the innkeepers (not while they are serving breakfast) and say you need to speak with them about checking out early in the morning and when is a convenient time to meet with them after breakfast?
See, they don't need you to check-out, they already have your cc info and can charge you even if you leave without paying. So you'll have to set up a time to meet with them..
We are staying here for 2 nights, not one. When we went down for breakfast, it was being put out as a buffet style. I decided to wait until after we eat then let her know I needed to talk to her. Well.........after breakfast a different lady started clearning the plates, I had to ask another quest who the innkeeper was (she mentioned that she hadn't met the innkeeper for several days of their stay)........It was not the lady clearning the plates. I asked her where the innkeeper was and she said she had already left to go to the office and she works until 5pm. She said she would call her and let her know she needs to get in touch with me. I do have her cell phone number so I think I'm going to give her a call.
I'll post later with an update.

MY POINT EXACTLY! Hired help. No Owners on site mean less attention to detail. Oh brother. And this was the smaller of the Inns you have stayed at, altho again, from the website I could not tell how many rooms are there,
If it really bugs you I would check my cc and see what I had been charged (take into account the added tax)

I, too, am curiously waiting to hear the outcome of this.
Giving the innkeeper the benefit of the doubt, one of her staff members messed up.
Thinking less highly of the innkeeper, they moved her hoping she wouldn't notice and they could recoup the expense of the B&B.com GC.
=)
Kk.

I'll be curious to hear the outcome of this too. Could be something as simple as a last minute problem with the room that you booked. Let us know what the outcome is.

If the ROOM name is on the booking, and then on the confirmation, then that is the room they are paying for. If an issue comes up, then the guest can be asked if another room will work. Unless like a hotel all rooms are the same.
In fact, if I had to move a guest I would do something EXTRA for them. Either upgrade to a more expensive room, or give them a discount on the price of the room they are in (so you reserved $179, you got $159, I only charge you $129). Or do something extra elsewhere.
If NOT confirmation is sent out, then you are off the hook to give the guest any room that meets their needs. Perhaps this is why some owners do not send out confirmations? Could be.
The room choice could be as simple as the name appealed to them. So no personal attachment. OR they could be dreaming about something they saw in the photo of the room they chose..
I just had a similar situation this week - almost full every night; a three-night booking comes in which will require them changing rooms every night. So, I upgraded one room from a smaller room with two beds to a large room with a queen - but called her first, to make sure she hadn't booked the less expensive room for any reason other than it was less expensive. Then, when a four-nighter arrived, also a single woman, I offered an addtional discount of $10 a night if she would take the double room instead of the queen she reserved. She had no problem with that. Lastly, I upgraded a couple celebrating a 51st anniversary from the room with the detached bath to a more expensive room with an attached bath. It worked out so that nobody had to switch rooms this week. Everybody was happy - single traveler on a budget saved even more money and the others got bigger rooms and ensuite baths.
I try not to have to do this, ever - I really tried to talk the three-nighter into going somewhere else. Plus my Sunday was manic trying to work it all out and I got lucky on the timing of arrivals.
The three-nighter also showed up a day early, on Monday - not having read their confirmation or really listened when I said we couldn't book them all four nights of their stay - and I knew everyone in town was full, so had to help them find a place to stay their first night. Yeesh, what a week!
Jeanne

I just read the R.I. entry. I stand by my original comments - size does matter. The bigger the Inn the less amenities, less personal attention and care you receive. Amenities in my mind meaning personal touches. (Not onsite gym)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Funny, even on bad days I am more hospitable than that. My grandfather died a week ago saturday, I had a full house and couldn't even go to the funeral, I contracted lyme disease and am on anti-biotics and have had ailments attached to that like total body arthritis and could barely lift a cup, and STILL our guests are welcomed, treated with ultimate kindness. They are served a full hot breakfast, flowers in their room and generally treated like guests should be.
What the heck is wrong with those places! Wait, don't answer. Here is what Henry Ford said "A business that makes only money is a poor business."
That is what they are, purely a business like any hotel, the heart and soul of the innkeeper is not in it. THAT is what is lacking.
Hope the recreation part of your vacation is going better than the Inn portion.

regular_smile.gif
The Innkeepers are also cater, and there was a note that included thier cell phone, but it did say they were out catering an event, so,I didn't want to bother them if they were busy, I didn't really think about the difference in price range though until we came back to our room after dinner at 11pm and my daughter was looking up their website, that's when we noticed the price difference. Yes, I do have my confirmation with me which states a difference room (the room we wanted) on it, and unlike what Swirt said (I think it was him), we are staying 2 nights, not 1.
If this room was fabulous I probably wouldn't feel the need to say anything, but this room is not what I would expect, there are cobwebs hanging in the corners, mold under the bathmat in the tub and dust everywhere.
What flags did you guys see?? Was it the lack of pictures and small font??
If you don't get satisfaction in the morning when you speak to the innkeeper you can always write a scathing review in Trip Advisor. We have NEVER changed the booking room of a guest without asking them first and that has only been about two or three times in almost nine years.
This situation is totally unacceptable in my estimation.
I don't mean to chide anyone who leaves instructions to get into the B & B especially if it is late at night but seeing that you arrived at a decent hour they should have had someone at the Inn to greet you even if they had to pay them.

The room choice could be as simple as the name appealed to them. So no personal attachment. OR they could be dreaming about something they saw in the photo of the room they chose..
I just had a similar situation this week - almost full every night; a three-night booking comes in which will require them changing rooms every night. So, I upgraded one room from a smaller room with two beds to a large room with a queen - but called her first, to make sure she hadn't booked the less expensive room for any reason other than it was less expensive. Then, when a four-nighter arrived, also a single woman, I offered an addtional discount of $10 a night if she would take the double room instead of the queen she reserved. She had no problem with that. Lastly, I upgraded a couple celebrating a 51st anniversary from the room with the detached bath to a more expensive room with an attached bath. It worked out so that nobody had to switch rooms this week. Everybody was happy - single traveler on a budget saved even more money and the others got bigger rooms and ensuite baths.
I try not to have to do this, ever - I really tried to talk the three-nighter into going somewhere else. Plus my Sunday was manic trying to work it all out and I got lucky on the timing of arrivals.
The three-nighter also showed up a day early, on Monday - not having read their confirmation or really listened when I said we couldn't book them all four nights of their stay - and I knew everyone in town was full, so had to help them find a place to stay their first night. Yeesh, what a week!
Jeanne
Good job!! I'd be more than happy with that solution if I was your guest. It's obvious that you went out of your way to figure it all out for everyone :)

Back