Question....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read the R.I. entry. I stand by my original comments - size does matter. The bigger the Inn the less amenities, less personal attention and care you receive. Amenities in my mind meaning personal touches. (Not onsite gym)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Funny, even on bad days I am more hospitable than that. My grandfather died a week ago saturday, I had a full house and couldn't even go to the funeral, I contracted lyme disease and am on anti-biotics and have had ailments attached to that like total body arthritis and could barely lift a cup, and STILL our guests are welcomed, treated with ultimate kindness. They are served a full hot breakfast, flowers in their room and generally treated like guests should be.
What the heck is wrong with those places! Wait, don't answer. Here is what Henry Ford said "A business that makes only money is a poor business."
That is what they are, purely a business like any hotel, the heart and soul of the innkeeper is not in it. THAT is what is lacking.
Hope the recreation part of your vacation is going better than the Inn portion. .
I'm so sorry you couldn't go to your Grandfather's Funeral! I feel so bad for you. I had a friend who got Lyme Disease last Summer and she had a rough time of it. I don't know how she's doing with it this year as her husband lost his job and 2 years ago and he decided he didn't want to go back to work so he was a bum for 1 1/2 years so she ended up having to go back to work full time+ so I haven't talked to her much since she's so busy.
Update on the "problem". I called the innkeepers work phone (not sure if it's actually her house since I think she works from home) but got no answer and no answering machine, I also had her cell number so I called her on that and she seemed very surprised that I would call and ask her for a refund. I just basically said who I was and that I checked in last night and noticed that she had put us in a smaller, less expensive of a room and was wondering if she was going to credit my CC for the $30 difference. She said, "ahhhh, ok, I can do that"", I don't know if I will actually get the refund or not. I guess I will just have to wait a few days to see what happens on my CC.
I want to post more here on the condition of this B&B, but then no one will need to read my blog!! LOL! Let's just say someone needs to buy some industrial sized pledge................

Yes approach it from the basis that the innkeeper will do right by you. They may have had to move you to a different room since you are only staying 1 night and it would have blocked a larger reservation in that room. The innkeeper should have notified you though. Not sure if the innkeeper had your cell phone.
Of course it is also possible the innkeeper is trying to take advantage of you, but it never helps to start from that assumption..
Hi to all, yes I am new and am enjoying the site.
Regarding ‘moving a guest to accommodate a longer stay’ I would ONLY do this if I could UPGRADE the person I was moving and ONLY if they agreed prior to arrival. I have always stood by this policy and it has worked to our benefit each time with happy guests all around.

We experienced being bumped as a guest just this past April. Our experience: We booked a 2 night stay for our 30th Anniversary at a small 3 room B&B in a popular small town 4 hours away. The booking was made 4 weeks prior to our arrival, and we received a letter (snail mail) confirmation. He does not take CC’s, no deposit, only cash on arrival. Note that during our call I had stated we were innkeepers and it was our anniversary.
On arrival, we were met by the innkeeper who seemed nervous and confused regarding our reservation. He questioned when we had made the reservation. Then proceeded to tell us that the room we had booked was occupied with a 3-night stay, but he did have a room for us. Now I had not even told him which room we had reserved, nor had I shown him the letter of confirmation he sent.
We had reserved his ‘best’ room. The room available was his most reasonable room, with only a hall bath, not shared. This room had been available when I booked, but had it been his only available room, I would have booked elsewhere. Our preference! Given that there was a festival going on, we were afraid we would not find other accommodations so we reluctantly took the room at a nice discount, but were VERY disappointed. Since we had not come prepared with robes, we had to slip on clothes to go down the hall in the middle of the night. What a pain!

Hear comes the best part of the story and why it is always best to be up front with your guests! That evening, after attending a local playhouse, we arrived back at the B&B and was greeted by the innkeeper and the couple that had 'our room’. After introductions we talked about the play and other tidbits of chatter. Then wife started as to how they ended up at XXXX B&B. She explained that she had reserved a room at another B&B but for the wrong dates, the innkeeper of the other B&B called to see why they had not shown up. After clearing up the mistake, that B&B did not have a room for the following week so they were referred to XXXX B&B. This all happened the week prior to our arrival, so clearly AFTER we had made the reservation and received confirmation. It was clear to me (and confirmed by the look on the innkeeper’s egg face) that we were intentionally bumped from the ‘best’ room to accommodate a 3 night stay over our 2 night stay. This couple who was unaware of the fact that we had been bumped, repeated the story 3 times during our stay. Each time the innkeeper was present during all or part of the story.

Having now been on the other side of this issue, I am glad I have never followed through on the $emptation to put green before integrity. Also I will say that even though the B&B had THE best view at a decent rate, I will choose another place to stay when I travel there again. Also, this innkeeper has lost any referral he could (would) have received from us which could have been several dozen a year. I will not however say to ‘stay away from XXXX B&B’, not my nature.

Yes approach it from the basis that the innkeeper will do right by you. They may have had to move you to a different room since you are only staying 1 night and it would have blocked a larger reservation in that room. The innkeeper should have notified you though. Not sure if the innkeeper had your cell phone.
Of course it is also possible the innkeeper is trying to take advantage of you, but it never helps to start from that assumption..
Hi to all, yes I am new and am enjoying the site.
Regarding ‘moving a guest to accommodate a longer stay’ I would ONLY do this if I could UPGRADE the person I was moving and ONLY if they agreed prior to arrival. I have always stood by this policy and it has worked to our benefit each time with happy guests all around.

We experienced being bumped as a guest just this past April. Our experience: We booked a 2 night stay for our 30th Anniversary at a small 3 room B&B in a popular small town 4 hours away. The booking was made 4 weeks prior to our arrival, and we received a letter (snail mail) confirmation. He does not take CC’s, no deposit, only cash on arrival. Note that during our call I had stated we were innkeepers and it was our anniversary.
On arrival, we were met by the innkeeper who seemed nervous and confused regarding our reservation. He questioned when we had made the reservation. Then proceeded to tell us that the room we had booked was occupied with a 3-night stay, but he did have a room for us. Now I had not even told him which room we had reserved, nor had I shown him the letter of confirmation he sent.
We had reserved his ‘best’ room. The room available was his most reasonable room, with only a hall bath, not shared. This room had been available when I booked, but had it been his only available room, I would have booked elsewhere. Our preference! Given that there was a festival going on, we were afraid we would not find other accommodations so we reluctantly took the room at a nice discount, but were VERY disappointed. Since we had not come prepared with robes, we had to slip on clothes to go down the hall in the middle of the night. What a pain!

Hear comes the best part of the story and why it is always best to be up front with your guests! That evening, after attending a local playhouse, we arrived back at the B&B and was greeted by the innkeeper and the couple that had 'our room’. After introductions we talked about the play and other tidbits of chatter. Then wife started as to how they ended up at XXXX B&B. She explained that she had reserved a room at another B&B but for the wrong dates, the innkeeper of the other B&B called to see why they had not shown up. After clearing up the mistake, that B&B did not have a room for the following week so they were referred to XXXX B&B. This all happened the week prior to our arrival, so clearly AFTER we had made the reservation and received confirmation. It was clear to me (and confirmed by the look on the innkeeper’s egg face) that we were intentionally bumped from the ‘best’ room to accommodate a 3 night stay over our 2 night stay. This couple who was unaware of the fact that we had been bumped, repeated the story 3 times during our stay. Each time the innkeeper was present during all or part of the story.

Having now been on the other side of this issue, I am glad I have never followed through on the $emptation to put green before integrity. Also I will say that even though the B&B had THE best view at a decent rate, I will choose another place to stay when I travel there again. Also, this innkeeper has lost any referral he could (would) have received from us which could have been several dozen a year. I will not however say to ‘stay away from XXXX B&B’, not my nature.
Now see, I wouldn't bump someone for a 3 night over a 2 night stay. I did bump someone who had a 1 night stay for a guest who wanted 3 rooms for 3 nights but had to have first floor rooms. I dreaded that phone call to the other guest but they got a good upgrade to the best room at the same price.
I also had one guest who I moved who never responded back to any of my emails or phone calls. They were grumpy when they made the rez, they were grumpy when they arrived, they were grumpy when they left. If bumping them also means they won't be back then yippee!
Because we get so many one nighters in peak season, I do reserve the right to move a guest to a better room to reserve a guest who wants more nights. If I didn't do that, once the night is past, the money is lost. And it won't be around this way again...as we've unfortunately seen this year.

I also agree that even when UPGRADING...get permission first. What you might consider an upgrade may not be an upgrade in the eyes of the guest. For example, on one of my trips to South Florida while yacht shopping, we booked a "marina view" room at this very nice hotel. "Marina view" rooms were in the tower building across the street. The hotel had 3 buildings as part of its campus. I booked that room, confirmed it the day before, and when we arrived they had upgraded us to "beachfront" in a different building, thinking they were doing us a favor. Well, being the boat lovers that we are, this was not an upgrade in our mind. We wanted the room we booked which had a view overlooking Bahia Mar Marina, not view of the beach. Yeah, we got a more expensive room without additional cost, but that's not where we wanted to be, and it was not what I booked and paid for. The hotel was completely full and we were stuck with it. All in all...so what...it was just a place to sleep for a few nights, but we were really disappointed upon our arrival that we had been "upgraded." We got over it...that was the last "shopping" trip - I found "Sanctuary" the next day and we bought her on the spot.

YW did you get that glossary term:
innkeeper’s egg face - meaning would be best described by Copperhead.
But something along the lines of when an innkeeper doesn't stick to the reservation agreement (confirmation).

Bree, you have that on your reservation form and confirmation - so there are no surprises! There is nothing wrong with that since you tell them upfront. If you never mention this and do it, then it would be a no no.
Because we get so many one nighters in peak season, I do reserve the right to move a guest to a better room to reserve a guest who wants more nights. If I didn't do that, once the night is past, the money is lost. And it won't be around this way again...as we've unfortunately seen this year.

I also agree that even when UPGRADING...get permission first. What you might consider an upgrade may not be an upgrade in the eyes of the guest. For example, on one of my trips to South Florida while yacht shopping, we booked a "marina view" room at this very nice hotel. "Marina view" rooms were in the tower building across the street. The hotel had 3 buildings as part of its campus. I booked that room, confirmed it the day before, and when we arrived they had upgraded us to "beachfront" in a different building, thinking they were doing us a favor. Well, being the boat lovers that we are, this was not an upgrade in our mind. We wanted the room we booked which had a view overlooking Bahia Mar Marina, not view of the beach. Yeah, we got a more expensive room without additional cost, but that's not where we wanted to be, and it was not what I booked and paid for. The hotel was completely full and we were stuck with it. All in all...so what...it was just a place to sleep for a few nights, but we were really disappointed upon our arrival that we had been "upgraded." We got over it...that was the last "shopping" trip - I found "Sanctuary" the next day and we bought her on the spot..
Exactly! Here we had a guest who wanted to be in our Main House - I could have "upgraded" to one of our larger suites in our cottage but they wanted to be in the Main House. Who woulda thunk??

Well, we never did see the Innkeeper again after the first time we saw her for about 3 minutes when she walked in the living room and said what was for breakfast. You know I did speak with her on her cell phone and she said she would refund the $30 difference. I never got a receipt of my stay at all or anything. We paid for our 2 night ahead of time so I guess that's why no receipt?? This was one of the B&B's that we didn't use a GC on so the $30 per night equals $60 to me that I overpaid.
I checked my CC online just now as of right now there is no credit for the overage she charged me. I know it's probably too early for it to show up, but since I didn't get any kind of receipt or anything from her showing the credit I will probably check every day!

Well, we never did see the Innkeeper again after the first time we saw her for about 3 minutes when she walked in the living room and said what was for breakfast. You know I did speak with her on her cell phone and she said she would refund the $30 difference. I never got a receipt of my stay at all or anything. We paid for our 2 night ahead of time so I guess that's why no receipt?? This was one of the B&B's that we didn't use a GC on so the $30 per night equals $60 to me that I overpaid.
I checked my CC online just now as of right now there is no credit for the overage she charged me. I know it's probably too early for it to show up, but since I didn't get any kind of receipt or anything from her showing the credit I will probably check every day!.
Did you get a confirm at the beginning that said how much you had been charged?

I checked my CC online just now as of right now there is no credit for the overage she charged me. I know it's probably too early for it to show up, but since I didn't get any kind of receipt or anything from her showing the credit I will probably check every day!.
Did you get a confirm at the beginning that said how much you had been charged?
Yes, I was charged $159 per night plus taxes, we received an online confirmation at the beginning. But the room we were put in was $129 per night. We had booked the Blue room since (from what I could see) looked pretty and I love blue toile syle rooms, but we were put in the Green room.

We were going to the motorcycle races - DH had his heart set on it - so I blocked all rooms. Then I get a phone call from C - "Is my room available this weekend?" She has been here before, we know her, she knows us, she will breakfast and be gone all day - OK. Two days later P calls, "Is my room available this weekend?" He has been here before, breakfasts early and is gone all day, AND most importantly, we know C is safe with him here (he would not bother her AND she would probably break his neck if he tried anything!) BUT MY room is the same room (one of the shared bath rooms). I told P I would get bck to him, called C and offered the queen w/private at same rate - they both get big discounts - and she hemmed a little (just a little) before saying - "Oh give him the room!"\
I upgraded and checked first and had 2 rooms when I wanted none!
I also will book one of the shared rooms as a private bath if they will pay the private rate, I promise to not rent the other shared room. One couple knows for sure I keep my word. While showing them to the room, I had a call for a room for that niight and they heard me tell the caller that we were booked that night. I would rather lose money than lose my credibility.

I had an early morning reservation call for the same night. Booked them for a queen room. Later, when I penciled them in my book, I noticed that the room was already booked for that night. I had to down grade the guest who called that day. I did not get a hold of him at the number they left. Well, when they arrived, they were glad they made rez because the whole town was booked. I told them about my horrible mistake and appologized. They took it with a smile, being glad to have a room....I gave them a nice discount too......they returned 3 days later for a second stay, This time the "big" room was available..
However, I am trying not to have anything like that happen again. You get the room you booked.

Ok guys, let me pick your brain...again! I still haven't received the refund of the price difference in the rooms. I did send an email on Sunday reminding her that I called her and she said she would credit me the difference but I still hadn't received it and I asked her if she would email me and let me know the status of the refund. I have not heard from her or received the credit as of yet. Any suggestion on what my next move should be? I thought about calling my CC and explain the situation but since I probably can't go back and pull up the rates for both rooms I don't know if I would even have a case? I don't want to be a hard axx but I don't think it's fair of her to treat a guest that way. Thanks!

Ok guys, let me pick your brain...again! I still haven't received the refund of the price difference in the rooms. I did send an email on Sunday reminding her that I called her and she said she would credit me the difference but I still hadn't received it and I asked her if she would email me and let me know the status of the refund. I have not heard from her or received the credit as of yet. Any suggestion on what my next move should be? I thought about calling my CC and explain the situation but since I probably can't go back and pull up the rates for both rooms I don't know if I would even have a case? I don't want to be a hard axx but I don't think it's fair of her to treat a guest that way. Thanks!.
It's not fair. And you should be entitled to a refund of the difference. I would allow 24 hrs to pass from your email, then I would try a direct phone call. The credit card company route will be a hassle so I would avoid that for a little longer. Print out the rates from both rooms from the website so that you have them, should you need evidence for your chargeback claim. If you paid by credit card, they are required to give you a receipt. If they do not have your signature on any document, then your grounds for a successful chargeback are improving ;)

Ok guys, let me pick your brain...again! I still haven't received the refund of the price difference in the rooms. I did send an email on Sunday reminding her that I called her and she said she would credit me the difference but I still hadn't received it and I asked her if she would email me and let me know the status of the refund. I have not heard from her or received the credit as of yet. Any suggestion on what my next move should be? I thought about calling my CC and explain the situation but since I probably can't go back and pull up the rates for both rooms I don't know if I would even have a case? I don't want to be a hard axx but I don't think it's fair of her to treat a guest that way. Thanks!.
hold on!
the wait for the refund might not be her fault at all ...
my guests who are given refunds often wait a whole billing cycle (one month) for the credit to appear. through quickbooks. this makes them angry but i have no control over it. my bookkeeping shows the credit, but the bank takes its sweet time. so i don't refund through the credit card processor any more. i send the guest a check.
not saying the room change was okay because it wasn't.
~m*
p.s. guys, please don't suggest i use tom weiskotten. i have tried to contact him three times, meaning three different periods when i tried repeateldy ... no answer to my emails or calls. he obviously is great if you were lucky enough to sign on with him. but i don't have time to chase after someone to give them my business.

Just wanted to give an update, I received an email yesterday from the Williamsburg Inn stating she would be crediting the difference of the room prices, Yipee!
I also noticed last night the they got another TA review (not from me) stating how dusty and dirty the Inn was, they stayed in a different room than we did too. I guess between her small children and other business she doesn't have enough time for the Inn...too bad, it could be so cute and it's in a great location! I'm curious if anyone looked at my pictures and saw the dust at this Inn?

Just wanted to give an update, I received an email yesterday from the Williamsburg Inn stating she would be crediting the difference of the room prices, Yipee!
I also noticed last night the they got another TA review (not from me) stating how dusty and dirty the Inn was, they stayed in a different room than we did too. I guess between her small children and other business she doesn't have enough time for the Inn...too bad, it could be so cute and it's in a great location! I'm curious if anyone looked at my pictures and saw the dust at this Inn?.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I also noticed last night the they got another TA review (not from me) stating how dusty and dirty the Inn was, they stayed in a different room than we did too. I guess between her small children and other business she doesn't have enough time for the Inn...too bad, it could be so cute and it's in a great location! I'm curious if anyone looked at my pictures and saw the dust at this Inn?
Does this sound familiar? This isn't the place who came on the other forum with the nasty letter from a guest is it? She had small kids and another business. Her husband had just died. A couple of really good TA reviews and then her husband died and she was running his business and the inn. She told us who she was but I don't remember. (Senioritis)

I also noticed last night the they got another TA review (not from me) stating how dusty and dirty the Inn was, they stayed in a different room than we did too. I guess between her small children and other business she doesn't have enough time for the Inn...too bad, it could be so cute and it's in a great location! I'm curious if anyone looked at my pictures and saw the dust at this Inn?.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Does this sound familiar? This isn't the place who came on the other forum with the nasty letter from a guest is it? She had small kids and another business. Her husband had just died. A couple of really good TA reviews and then her husband died and she was running his business and the inn. She told us who she was but I don't remember. (Senioritis)
I believe the husband is still alive

where would i find these pictures?
i didn't see any on the blog. am i lost?

Back