Questions over the phone

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Had a call for a room, and the caller said "This is for me and my girlfriend, is there a problem with that?" pause
My reply "As long as you don't have a doberman and 5 kids with you!"

Dear God YES, if you are normal and like each other and just want to have a nice stay, COME ON DOWN!
If you'd like to give us a fake address and leave without paying, then we might have an issue...

This is why I posted this, you mentioned denying someone and what the outcome could be, even if you have a gut instinct on it. Well this person was fishing... Go after someone with money, not innkeepers people!!

Sometimes those calls are from high school kids and the hotels have already turned them down. It's prom season here and those are the kinds of questions they ask.

Sometimes those calls are from high school kids and the hotels have already turned them down. It's prom season here and those are the kinds of questions they ask..
Alibi Ike said:
Sometimes those calls are from high school kids and the hotels have already turned them down. It's prom season here and those are the kinds of questions they ask.
3 nights in June? No I didn't find out why they asked or what happened, I just answered in my usually witty screwball way.

As long as at least one is over 18 and they are both over the age of consent, that's fine.
We've had parents call to ask if their underage children can stay here. Legally speaking... no. WIthout at least one person over 18, I am legally responsible.... and I'm NOT taking responsibility.

Sometimes those calls are from high school kids and the hotels have already turned them down. It's prom season here and those are the kinds of questions they ask..
Alibi Ike said:
3 nights in June? No I didn't find out why they asked or what happened, I just answered in my usually witty screwball way.
Usually just overnight, haven't had any of them try to stay for 3 nights!

As long as at least one is over 18 and they are both over the age of consent, that's fine.
We've had parents call to ask if their underage children can stay here. Legally speaking... no. WIthout at least one person over 18, I am legally responsible.... and I'm NOT taking responsibility..
We go thru this every year with prom season and I guess I have to admit to thinking it is totally inappropriate behavior in my inn for teenagers who haven't even graduated high school. Go to a hotel, that's what they're there for. ;) (But the hotels won't take them because they run riot thru the pool area and cause a rumpus with drinking, etc.) I just tell them they have to be 21 which is what the hotels tell them.
I asked one guy how many were in his party and he told me 20. This is the second consequence of having teenagers stay...they invite everyone.
Yes, we have had college students both as couples and singles whose parents paid for them to stay. One weekend last year is was all college age kids. Awkward. They are still in that posing and primping state where they wouldn't say boo to someone else their own age without knowing if they were talking up or down the class scale. (Or, in this case, someone from the 'other' college.) They talked to us but shut up when the other college kids showed up.

We've had parents call to ask if their underage children can stay here. Legally speaking... no. WIthout at least one person over 18, I am legally responsible.... and I'm NOT taking responsibility..
We go thru this every year with prom season and I guess I have to admit to thinking it is totally inappropriate behavior in my inn for teenagers who haven't even graduated high school. Go to a hotel, that's what they're there for. ;) (But the hotels won't take them because they run riot thru the pool area and cause a rumpus with drinking, etc.) I just tell them they have to be 21 which is what the hotels tell them.
I asked one guy how many were in his party and he told me 20. This is the second consequence of having teenagers stay...they invite everyone.
Yes, we have had college students both as couples and singles whose parents paid for them to stay. One weekend last year is was all college age kids. Awkward. They are still in that posing and primping state where they wouldn't say boo to someone else their own age without knowing if they were talking up or down the class scale. (Or, in this case, someone from the 'other' college.) They talked to us but shut up when the other college kids showed up.
Age of majority in Canada is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan. All other provinces and territories are 19. Drinking age is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec. 19 in all other provinces and territories. (Supervised drinking laws are a little different and only applicable to your own children.) The age of consent in Canada is 16. So basically if they are over 18, they can check in.
From what I understand it is 18 in the US except for Alabama (if unmarried 19, otherwise emancipated a marriage), Nebraska and Mississippi which are 19. The drinking age is universally 21 in the US.
I can't legally limit to 21. And I don't have a right to ask marital status. Besides, it would hypocritical in Canada anyway. About 30% of couples in Quebec are common-law (about 12% in the rest of Canada). But under Quebec's laws of gender equality, women don't take their husband's name, since 1981. So we expect that even married couples will have different last names (and we have had one Prime Minister who's wife had a different last name... in 1979.) Frankly, when I see people with the same last name, I don't know if they are siblings or married (and again, it's still none of my damn business.)

Age of majority in Canada is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan. All other provinces and territories are 19. Drinking age is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec. 19 in all other provinces and territories. (Supervised drinking laws are a little different and only applicable to your own children.) The age of consent in Canada is 16. So basically if they are over 18, they can check in.
From what I understand it is 18 in the US except for Alabama (if unmarried 19, otherwise emancipated a marriage), Nebraska and Mississippi which are 19. The drinking age is universally 21 in the US.
I can't legally limit to 21. And I don't have a right to ask marital status. Besides, it would hypocritical in Canada anyway. About 30% of couples in Quebec are common-law (about 12% in the rest of Canada). But under Quebec's laws of gender equality, women don't take their husband's name, since 1981. So we expect that even married couples will have different last names (and we have had one Prime Minister who's wife had a different last name... in 1979.) Frankly, when I see people with the same last name, I don't know if they are siblings or married (and again, it's still none of my damn business.)
Yup 18. However, 18 and not graduated from high school and with someone who may or may not be 18 whose parents may or may not approve of this is not the position in which I want to place myself or my other guests. If it's ok with the parents that the kids rent a room here, the kids can stay in the boy or girl's room at the parental home and let the parents deal with it.
I do not check id on arrival. I'm not going to start so I would have no idea if the 'kids' were underage or not.
And, I do NOT want the rep as the 'place to go' when you're in high school. Of all the things that could get me wound up in this biz, this is it. Of all the possible combos of couples that could show up, the ones with teenagers are the ones that I do not like and do not want to deal with.
BTW, if I had to sneak around in the marina on prom night looking for a boat that wasn't locked up, these kids can too.

Yup 18. However, 18 and not graduated from high school and with someone who may or may not be 18 whose parents may or may not approve of this is not the position in which I want to place myself or my other guests. If it's ok with the parents that the kids rent a room here, the kids can stay in the boy or girl's room at the parental home and let the parents deal with it.
I do not check id on arrival. I'm not going to start so I would have no idea if the 'kids' were underage or not.
And, I do NOT want the rep as the 'place to go' when you're in high school. Of all the things that could get me wound up in this biz, this is it. Of all the possible combos of couples that could show up, the ones with teenagers are the ones that I do not like and do not want to deal with.
BTW, if I had to sneak around in the marina on prom night looking for a boat that wasn't locked up, these kids can too.
So far, never had such a reservation. Two night minimum and price are usually a factor. Beside, they could go to a "sauna". We have a number of them in town that are mixed.

During prom season my guard is up for those wanting to make the evening special... It will NOT be happening here! I do not ask for ID's but I would if they looked underage and it was prom season. I do not want to have someones dad showing up here with a shotgun!
All (that I know of) the beach properties in FL have a 25 age limit to book and must check in as they had so many problems during spring break.

When I was working night audit at H I, our friend's daughter came bouncing in after prom. she said," Hi, do you have any rooms?" amd I replied, "Not for your." She said, "OK," and left. I think I told her Mother in 2007 - about 20 years after the fact.

We just got one for one night, prime weekend in Oct. What kind of discounts are we offering? None. 'That's ok I had to try. Your prices are half the wedding rate at the hotel where the wedding is so it works for us.'

Back