Quick Breads

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
I like to make quick breads - you know, like zucchini, orange/cranberry, blueberry/lemon and the like (no yeast involved). But lately, I've noticed that they are very done around the perimeter and still doughy in the middle. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?? It doesn't seem to matter what kind of loaf pan I use - I have metal, stone (P.C.) and Melamine.

I think it's your oven. Put an oven thermometer inside and when you preheat, does the oven thermometer match what your oven says? Also, is your oven temp flunctuating? I use a 60 year old oven +/- and have to calibrate it a lot ... also it can be inconsistent throughout my baking so I have to watch it. One of those food thermometers to stick in the bread will tell you if it's not cooked inside. If it isn't, you have to cook it in slow oven to get the inside done.
I mostly make banana bread and if I add a banana, more than the recipe calls for, the inside takes longer to cook.
Good luck.

I find it looks good on the outside too soon. I put a tent foil on it at about the 3/4 mark. Check it with a cake tester often near the end. When my tester comes out clean, I even leave it in for another five minutes. Let it cool in the pan for a bit, it will continue cooking and then turn it out. These loaves should be moister anyways, but I know what you mean. Nothing like cutting into a loaf to serve it and then you realize it should have stayed in the oven longer!

Whatever happened to my cake testers? Bouncing my finger off the top or using a toothpick now ... need to bring back my cake tester!

I think it's your oven. Put an oven thermometer inside and when you preheat, does the oven thermometer match what your oven says? Also, is your oven temp flunctuating? I use a 60 year old oven +/- and have to calibrate it a lot ... also it can be inconsistent throughout my baking so I have to watch it. One of those food thermometers to stick in the bread will tell you if it's not cooked inside. If it isn't, you have to cook it in slow oven to get the inside done.
I mostly make banana bread and if I add a banana, more than the recipe calls for, the inside takes longer to cook.
Good luck..
I just found out my ovens element is not fully operating only part of it was heating up. As a result mine baking was not coming out properly.

Check your oven temp over time. This was our first indication that the stove needed replacing.

maybe I should use the convection bake feature.
I find the problem with the convection feature for quick breads is that the top is done, looks done, but the centre is still gummy. Maybe better to bake longer at a bit lower temperature?
Maybe Generic can chime in???

Good luck..
I just found out my ovens element is not fully operating only part of it was heating up. As a result mine baking was not coming out properly.
Was it an easy fix?
Flower said:

I find the problem with the convection feature for quick breads is that the top is done, looks done, but the centre is still gummy. Maybe better to bake longer at a bit lower temperature?
Cakes cook from the outside in. That's the nature of it. But usually a quick bread takes about an hour to cook through.

Good luck..
Was it an easy fix?
Flower said:
Yes the call was more then the part. If I had only know how to replace the element . It would of cost little. But !!! I sure in the heck know now. Pull out the top element and put in new one. That's It !

Lower the oven by 25 degrees F whenever you bake using the convect bake option. This has helped me tremendously when I struggled with the same issue. The time to bake with the lower temp is pretty close to the recommended time and the baking is much more even.

You didn't share the temp and bake time. That makes all the difference. I make them lower temp than cake and longer.

Lower the oven by 25 degrees F whenever you bake using the convect bake option. This has helped me tremendously when I struggled with the same issue. The time to bake with the lower temp is pretty close to the recommended time and the baking is much more even.
Silverspoon said:
This is exactly what I did today and all 10 mini loaves of blueberry zucchini are nice and puffy on the tops and done all the way through!

Silverspoon said:
This is exactly what I did today and all 10 mini loaves of blueberry zucchini are nice and puffy on the tops and done all the way through!
You should always lower temp 25 degrees when using the convection oven

Back