Quick intro

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgirouard

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new here, one half of a husband/wife set of aspiring innkeepers. Our intent is to be owner/operators of our own small (5 or fewer guest rooms) inn. We developed a goal to own and run our own business, and when the idea of a Bed & Breakfast came up, it stuck a bit, and after a few years of reading (and reading, and reading, and reading), decided this was something that would be a good option for us.
Honestly, I feel like such a newbie, I have very little to contribute at this point - I could spend all my time here reading and learning. But occasionally, I'm tempted to respond to a non-innkeeping-specific posts, and I have a list of questions building in the back of my mind. So, I decided to take a moment and say hello before I start posting elsewhere on the forum.

welcome.gif

CHime in any time. Everyone has the right to say whatever is on their mind here.

welcome.gif

Feel free to respond to anything. We're like the entry under 'Earth' in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Mostly Harmless.
If your opinions right now are from the guest's POV, that's a good thing to keep in mind as you look for your own place. Newbies have new eyes.

welcome.gif

Don't let our gipe sessions dissuade you from this profession. A lot of us here are incognito so we have a place to vent because others not in our profession don't understand. You've come to the right place to learn and ask questions!

welcome.gif

Don't let our gipe sessions dissuade you from this profession. A lot of us here are incognito so we have a place to vent because others not in our profession don't understand. You've come to the right place to learn and ask questions!.
Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Don't let our gipe sessions dissuade you from this profession. A lot of us here are incognito so we have a place to vent because others not in our profession don't understand. You've come to the right place to learn and ask questions!
Darn spelling.... I was about to add a new word for what we do here sometimes "gipe" like gripe and yikes! like as in "did that guest really do that?" or "Did that guest really do that to you too?"
I personally prefer to think of those kind of topics as "process" sessions.
The real value in them for me is to help shield my great guests, my loving partner, friends, neighbors, etc. from any visible signs of frustration or disgust with the couple of bad apples that pop up in the barrel every so often.
If one was to really count the topics and threads here, you'd find that the vast majority are pretty benign and far less toxic than the rare really bad cases of major venting some of us need to do every once in a while.

welcome.gif

Don't let our gipe sessions dissuade you from this profession. A lot of us here are incognito so we have a place to vent because others not in our profession don't understand. You've come to the right place to learn and ask questions!.
Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Darn spelling.... I was about to add a new word for what we do here sometimes "gipe" like gripe and yikes! like as in "did that guest really do that?" or "Did that guest really do that to you too?"
The real value in them for me is to help shield my great guests, my loving partner, friends, neighbors, etc. from any visible signs of frustration or disgust with the couple of bad apples that pop up in the barrel every so often.
If one was to really count the topics and threads here, you'd find that the vast majority are pretty benign and far less toxic than the rare really bad cases of major venting some of us need to do every once in a while.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Ok Tim, I've got you here! GIPE, an acronym formed from “good idea, poorly executed.”
poke.gif
yeah, yeahhhhh.....I ment for it to be GIPE. Here's sombody's blog describing it Vocabulary Lesson
(Whew, I got out of that one!)
tounge_smile.gif

welcome.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Ok Tim, I've got you here! GIPE, an acronym formed from “good idea, poorly executed.”
poke.gif
yeah, yeahhhhh.....I ment for it to be GIPE. Here's sombody's blog describing it Vocabulary Lesson
tounge_smile.gif

poke.gif
tounge_smile.gif
Yeah, until you butchered "meant".
wink_smile.gif

My whole life could be described as one big GIPE.....

there are members here who are not innkeepers ... it's good that you jumped in.
welcome.gif

Thanks for the words of welcome. And neither your "process" nor your GIPE sessions have put me off, but rather provided plenty of fodder for dinner time discussion.

welcome.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Breakfast Diva said:
welcome.gif

poke.gif
tounge_smile.gif

poke.gif
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
]
wink_smile.gif

And you butchered the quote box!
{edited by swirt to fixed the butchered quote box and the quoted butchered quote because all that butchering made a mess of the side bar navigation of this page. Carry on. ;) }

Thanks for the words of welcome. And neither your "process" nor your GIPE sessions have put me off, but rather provided plenty of fodder for dinner time discussion..
Good, because this can be really rewarding and if your a "people" person, you're gonna meet 'em of every color, stripe, personaility type, quirk, etc.
Its corny, but we are great appreciators of what we describe as the "kaliedoscope" of humanity.
The high school we met at 30+ years ago had over 90 identified languages spoken at it, so "diversity" has been in our bloods our entire lives.

Thanks for the words of welcome. And neither your "process" nor your GIPE sessions have put me off, but rather provided plenty of fodder for dinner time discussion..
Good, because this can be really rewarding and if your a "people" person, you're gonna meet 'em of every color, stripe, personaility type, quirk, etc.
Its corny, but we are great appreciators of what we describe as the "kaliedoscope" of humanity.
The high school we met at 30+ years ago had over 90 identified languages spoken at it, so "diversity" has been in our bloods our entire lives.
Have you ever mentioned from where you hail? Just curious.

Bree said:
Well, I grew up in the mid atlantic states, DH in New England, we've both lived a variety of places since then. Most recently, we're in the prairies and lakes region of Texas, and I must say that so far, it's my favorite of all the places I've lived.

"Honestly, I feel like such a newbie, I have very little to contribute at this point - I could spend all my time here reading and learning. But occasionally, I'm tempted to respond to a non-innkeeping-specific posts, and I have a list of questions building in the back of my mind."
Welcome! I'm an aspiring as well and feel the same way you do, looking forward to the day I have something valuable to contribute. I've been reading and reading, agreeing and disagreeing mostly silently, but sometimes there's something I'm able to chime in on or ask a question on and I ALWAYS feel welcomed to do so. This is a great forum!

Welcome. It is very good to introduce yourself - first. As in any othr group you might walk up to, introducing yourself first helps the discussion. As the others have said, everyone is welcome and everyone is full of opinion. We take turns tripping on our tongues and if you ask for advice, be prepared to get it! Good luck with your future.

i never had someone say 'do not come in my room while i'm gone' i had them say 'i don't need housekeeping to clean my room' or 'my room is all set' ....
but i did go in to check on the towels they hung. sometimes, with the windows open and the damp ocean breezes or fog rolling in, i knew they'd still have wet towels when they returned. so i'd switch them. or if the thunderstomrs rolled in, and they often did, i'd run around closing windows and sometimes opening them again after because the area all around the window would be soaked if i didn't. i never had a complaint that i'd gone in their room. ever.
sometimes i thought it was because they wanted to leave all their personal items around the room which is fine during their stay.

Back