Quickbooks Bookkeeping Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
My general setup:
  1. Mac User
  2. Webervations
  3. Manual Credit Card Processing
  4. Quickbooks
We are now 1 year into our B&B experience and it has FINALLY occurred to me that I need to be trapping some statistical data for subsequent business analysis, i.e., number of nights booked, number of nights vacant, etc. etc.
Before you tell me to go with a PC using Rezovations, I'm aware of the advantage of this setup and will eventually evolve into this as I can afford it. Until then, I'm stuck with what I have.
Is there anyone out there with a similar setup that has found a way to trap this data? Can I do it within Quickbooks?

I don't have QuickBooks but here's what I do. I have Quicken and Quicken can track income. As far as room nights this is what I do for a quick calculation. (I also have RezOvation but don't run a lot of reports from it).
I have an "AT-A-Glance" monthly calendar which provides me with a quick look at reservations booked. Since we have only three units there is enough space in each block to write the name of the room & guest. I mention this because in this book I also keep track of number of room nights booked each month by week. At the top of each month I also write the statistics from the previous year, year to date and for that month. It gives a quick glance of where we stand compared to the previous year.

I don't have QuickBooks but here's what I do. I have Quicken and Quicken can track income. As far as room nights this is what I do for a quick calculation. (I also have RezOvation but don't run a lot of reports from it).
I have an "AT-A-Glance" monthly calendar which provides me with a quick look at reservations booked. Since we have only three units there is enough space in each block to write the name of the room & guest. I mention this because in this book I also keep track of number of room nights booked each month by week. At the top of each month I also write the statistics from the previous year, year to date and for that month. It gives a quick glance of where we stand compared to the previous year..
JeannineIrish said:
I have an "AT-A-Glance" monthly calendar which provides me with a quick look at reservations booked. Since we have only three units there is enough space in each block to write the name of the room & guest. I mention this because in this book I also keep track of number of room nights booked each month by week. At the top of each month I also write the statistics from the previous year, year to date and for that month. It gives a quick glance of where we stand compared to the previous year.
Is AT-A-Glance computer software? PC based?
On the Mac I have iCal, but I'm not crazy about its functionality.

I have an "AT-A-Glance" monthly calendar which provides me with a quick look at reservations booked. Since we have only three units there is enough space in each block to write the name of the room & guest. I mention this because in this book I also keep track of number of room nights booked each month by week. At the top of each month I also write the statistics from the previous year, year to date and for that month. It gives a quick glance of where we stand compared to the previous year..
JeannineIrish said:
Proud Texan said:
JeannineIrish said:
LOL. It is an old fashioned calendar. It is a little bigger than 8 1/2 by 11. Each day's square is about 2". We are all so tech based that we forget there is such things as good old fashioned calendars.

It seems to me that Webervations has some sort of ability to spit out a roomnight list doesn't it? (I'm a little fuzzy on that as I am usually involved with the setup, rather than the other features that come in later.)

It seems to me that Webervations has some sort of ability to spit out a roomnight list doesn't it? (I'm a little fuzzy on that as I am usually involved with the setup, rather than the other features that come in later.).
swirt said:
It seems to me that Webervations has some sort of ability to spit out a roomnight list doesn't it? (I'm a little fuzzy on that as I am usually involved with the setup, rather than the other features that come in later.)
I've gotten to the age where EVERYTHING is fuzzy.
smiley-whacky011.gif

I'm not sure about Webervations either. After a long struggle to get it up an functioning (no reflection on Webervations) I don't mess with it. I'm scared to.

It seems to me that Webervations has some sort of ability to spit out a roomnight list doesn't it? (I'm a little fuzzy on that as I am usually involved with the setup, rather than the other features that come in later.).
swirt said:
I've gotten to the age where EVERYTHING is fuzzy.
smiley-whacky011.gif

I'm not sure about Webervations either. After a long struggle to get it up an functioning (no reflection on Webervations) I don't mess with it. I'm scared to.
There are a lot of people on here that use it, so I am sure someone will tell me if I have recollected a non-existent feature.
tounge_smile.gif

JeannineIrish said:
Proud Texan said:
JeannineIrish said:
LOL. It is an old fashioned calendar. It is a little bigger than 8 1/2 by 11. Each day's square is about 2". We are all so tech based that we forget there is such things as good old fashioned calendars.
That is EXACTLY the same thing I do! :)
I can just open it up to this month, and see what we had today for each of the last six years "at a glance"!

PT, I have the same setup as you, except instead of Webervations I use Availability.ca for online booking.
Quickbooks reports are great for tracking revenue and comparing year-over-year in terms of $ but not room nights. For other stats, I use Excel.
I created a quarterly spreadsheet to track other stats, such as room nights, repeats, average room rate, stats relating to dinners, etc. I have to enter most of the info manually (and formulas where possible for automatic calculations), but for my size it's fine.
It's not for everyone, but I was already using Excel extensively in budgets and reports in my previous life, so there was no learning curve for me to use it. Plus I like that I don't have my vital biz info tied up in proprietary software (another lesson learned from past experience).

PT, I have the same setup as you, except instead of Webervations I use Availability.ca for online booking.
Quickbooks reports are great for tracking revenue and comparing year-over-year in terms of $ but not room nights. For other stats, I use Excel.
I created a quarterly spreadsheet to track other stats, such as room nights, repeats, average room rate, stats relating to dinners, etc. I have to enter most of the info manually (and formulas where possible for automatic calculations), but for my size it's fine.
It's not for everyone, but I was already using Excel extensively in budgets and reports in my previous life, so there was no learning curve for me to use it. Plus I like that I don't have my vital biz info tied up in proprietary software (another lesson learned from past experience)..
happyjacks said:
It's not for everyone, but I was already using Excel extensively in budgets and reports in my previous life, so there was no learning curve for me to use it. Plus I like that I don't have my vital biz info tied up in proprietary software (another lesson learned from past experience).
I have excel, but I was hoping that there was a way to trap the data I'm already entering to prevent the redundancy.

Back