Quiet. Loud. How can this be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
There is a guest room near our bedroom. Last night there were 3 guests in the room, we never knew they were there. The night before there were 2 guests in the room and they kept us up half the night. All they were doing was talking. How can it be that 3 guests can be so quiet while 2 guests are so loud?
We also have guests stay for a week in that room and the only way we know they are gone is if their car is missing.

It all depends on the people. Everyone is different. If they were so annoying to the point of keeping me awake..I would have knocked on the door and told them about it! Maybe they think the rooms are sound proof...NOT!

I suspect our current guest usually speaks a lot quieter than she is right now. She has a head cold with plugged ears - she cannot hear herself so like hrd-of-hearing people I know, is almost shouting. Or they could come from a household where he who talks loudest is heard.
Or..... they could have been just loud louts period!

I have the same problem. I have a guest room right above my bedroom and often times I barely hear a noise from the room and other times I am up all night. Everyone once it a while it sounds like they are really shaking the bed in the room and then sometimes I will get the constant toilet flusher...who is flushing many times per hour and all through the night. I don't really know a solution to that other than not to rent the room.

I have the same problem. I have a guest room right above my bedroom and often times I barely hear a noise from the room and other times I am up all night. Everyone once it a while it sounds like they are really shaking the bed in the room and then sometimes I will get the constant toilet flusher...who is flushing many times per hour and all through the night. I don't really know a solution to that other than not to rent the room..
I put a very small sign in each guest room- "please be respectful of all others in the house with the volume when watching TV or listening to radio." Most seem to have gotten the message. Only had one in 6 years that didn't and his wife "yelled at him"..."turn that TV DOWN!" I laughed.
As to toilet flushers...that was a big problem for me because I was a light sleeper and there was a bathroom over my bed. My husband insulated the pipes etc...but I could still hear it. That added to my bad back made me make the decision to finally retire....I wanted a good nights sleep in my own home.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back