Rack Cards Revamp

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is the latest trend on rack cards? Are you all interested in brighter colors and more bold vs more elegant styles? I am nearly out and need to redo and want to do something different, or I will just reorder what I have.
Your thoughts? What do you like to see, what grabs your attention, which cards do you tend to keep?

PS I am vista print and there is a feature where you input your address and it adds a map (you can zoom in or out) to your rack card. In years past we had to have someone make this map for us! COOL! I have decided to do an entirely new design, new colors and bolder statements.

PS I am vista print and there is a feature where you input your address and it adds a map (you can zoom in or out) to your rack card. In years past we had to have someone make this map for us! COOL! I have decided to do an entirely new design, new colors and bolder statements..
A nice quote from a guest somewhere on the card. The map, absolutely. Other things depend on where you expect guests to be picking them up. Bold colors, yes. Unless they don't fit your B&B image when the guest arrives.

• clean font
  • no red print
  • nice photos, but not cluttered (not too many)
  • address (duh! :) )
  • a map is nice
  • bold colors, but not bright colors (I think there is a difference)
  • easily read website
  • oohhh...could you do a qr code!?
I'd throw it away or not even keep it if it didn't have an address on it (yes, I've seen them without addresses). Same if it didn't have the website on it.

• clean font
  • no red print
  • a map is nice
  • easily read website
I'd throw it away or not even keep it if it didn't have an address on it (yes, I've seen them without addresses). Same if it didn't have the website on it..
Penelope said:
  • no red print
I generally don't pick up things with a lot of yellow background either. Stuff that screams its message turns me off.
Nothing to QR codes. Just Google "free QR generator" and you'll find several websites that generate the code image as quickly as you can enter the URL you want the code to go to.

• clean font
  • no red print
  • a map is nice
  • easily read website
I'd throw it away or not even keep it if it didn't have an address on it (yes, I've seen them without addresses). Same if it didn't have the website on it..
Penelope said:
  • no red print
I generally don't pick up things with a lot of yellow background either. Stuff that screams its message turns me off.
Nothing to QR codes. Just Google "free QR generator" and you'll find several websites that generate the code image as quickly as you can enter the URL you want the code to go to.
Arkansawyer said:
Penelope said:
  • no red print
That's what I'm saying...you could use it as a way to track your dollars and I think people get a little thrill out of using them :)

• clean font
  • no red print
  • a map is nice
  • easily read website
Penelope said:
  • no red print
Arkansawyer said:
Penelope said:
  • no red print
That's what I'm saying...you could use it as a way to track your dollars and I think people get a little thrill out of using them :)
Penelope said:
Arkansawyer said:
By "nothing to QR codes" I meant there's nothing hard about getting one to put on the rack card. Some people think they are something complicated that you have to pay an expert to create, but there's "nothing to it". Just go to a website that makes them for free and 5 seconds later you'll have your image ready to use.
In my town we're using them on the buildings in the historic district. As you walk around, just aim your phone at one and it takes you to a web page describing the history of that building, has old photos, even audio and video. It's a great technology.

Common sense things
Phone number, web site, email, address, I would say definately a pic of what your place looks like and maybe one or two bedrooms depends on space. Map is a good choice also. If people come to your town for a specific reason ie you are the home of a huge tourist attraction that say you are close to I would pop that on. Ie we are 8 meters away from the Harrogate International Conference Center so we plug it!!! I say how far we are from the bus and train stations as we are only about 8 mins walk away so it a good sale. If you have any special facilities or packages ie hot tub, romance packages etc.

I would check out other places your card is displayed and see what colours would stand out. This years our rack cards seem to be wine colours and blue with black printing. Just funny how most 30 some odd rack cards ended up using the same type of colours . And we all don't know each other. the tourist office told us to use a colour that would stand out from the rest.

I would check out other places your card is displayed and see what colours would stand out. This years our rack cards seem to be wine colours and blue with black printing. Just funny how most 30 some odd rack cards ended up using the same type of colours . And we all don't know each other. the tourist office told us to use a colour that would stand out from the rest..
The way to do this, provided everyone doesn't update at the same time, is to go to the tourist info office and look at the cards on the racks. That's how I did it. Grabbed a bunch I liked to give the printer an idea and then took the colors right off my website so it's all 'branded'. Website, brochures, etc, all the same colors, same fonts, same photos.
Printer did a great job of matching the colors for me.
As for the prices, I just put the upper price higher than it is right now so these should be good for another 3-4 years. The lower end price? Well, that room is taken if I get pushed on it. I did go a little higher on that one than the actual off season rate I charge, also to make the cards viable for a few more years. So you can also feel like you got a deal!

I did something totally different this time. I put all the photos on the back and left the front as the grabber. I used Vista print, and they are so reasonable $. You can do small amounts, 50, 100 or 250 so if you want more you can order more without getting too many.

Don't forget to put a QR code on your new rack cards. Go HERE and you can generate one to include any information you want including your website, Googleplaces page, address and phone number. That way anyone with a smartphone can scan the the QR code and instantly access your information.
I'm in the process of designing small posters with a QR code that I'll probably have laminated and placed around town and other venues that will give us some exposure.
thumb_download.jpeg

QR Code Example

I would check out other places your card is displayed and see what colours would stand out. This years our rack cards seem to be wine colours and blue with black printing. Just funny how most 30 some odd rack cards ended up using the same type of colours . And we all don't know each other. the tourist office told us to use a colour that would stand out from the rest..
Flower said:
I would check out other places your card is displayed and see what colours would stand out. This years our rack cards seem to be wine colours and blue with black printing. Just funny how most 30 some odd rack cards ended up using the same type of colours . And we all don't know each other. the tourist office told us to use a colour that would stand out from the rest.
I discovered a lot of us from the CVB wre using the same design group - and all the colors were similar (designs too). I have now gone with a different design agency. My next rack cark will be totally different.

I am getting book markers made again. I love them and guests seem to love them too. I put them in my purse and hand them out. The are small but bigger than a card which people throw away anyway. It gives just information to have them go to our site. I will have QR this time. I love book markers. There used to be an innkeeper on here that I met and she had them, I hadn't seen them before but I was really impressed with them.

I am getting book markers made again. I love them and guests seem to love them too. I put them in my purse and hand them out. The are small but bigger than a card which people throw away anyway. It gives just information to have them go to our site. I will have QR this time. I love book markers. There used to be an innkeeper on here that I met and she had them, I hadn't seen them before but I was really impressed with them..
its all about getting them to keep the information thats why we did the fridge magnets they stay on the fridge and under people's eye. have to look at book markers as well.

Sandynn I am with you, I love bookmarkers as well. When I freshen a room I will lay it on the book (s) I find in the room. :)

Sandynn I am with you, I love bookmarkers as well. When I freshen a room I will lay it on the book (s) I find in the room. :).
I am shocked that I didn't think of this sooner but I am going to start laying them next to the chocolates at turn down.

Sandynn I am with you, I love bookmarkers as well. When I freshen a room I will lay it on the book (s) I find in the room. :).
I am shocked that I didn't think of this sooner but I am going to start laying them next to the chocolates at turn down.
sandynn said:
When I do that people don't think they are bookmarkers. I have actually gone as far as saying they are bookmarkers. People think they are decorative. I was going to mention, when I DO make them again I thought about printing in small font - BOOKMARKER GRATIS B&B or something.
Mine are romantic a wee bit, so I always place them next to the flowers if it is an anniversary or wedding night. The verse "Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be!" is printed on them. So they aren't for everyone, just special ocassions, or guests I like!

I am getting book markers made again. I love them and guests seem to love them too. I put them in my purse and hand them out. The are small but bigger than a card which people throw away anyway. It gives just information to have them go to our site. I will have QR this time. I love book markers. There used to be an innkeeper on here that I met and she had them, I hadn't seen them before but I was really impressed with them..
I'm totally with y'all on the bookmarks. They were on my list to order before I decided to close the biz. Great idea to leave them at turndown or at a refresh. An extra perk for the guests.
As a guest, I would keep something like that.

Back