Rainy Day Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Been up since 5 ... crazy woman! I got an idea for switching around some of the desks in the guestrooms and want to do it between checkout checkin today.
anywhohow .... it's pouring buckets and the forecast is grim. weekenders will be a little 'unhappy' if i know how this goes. can't say i blame them, it's been dry as a desert here for quite a bit so that most of my grass died. and now it is so wet it will spoil their boating and other plans.
so ... i'm going into the library to set up a scrabble game and a puzzle ... hint hint for the guests ....
what do you do when the weather is a beast and of course you can't FIX it?

Give them a driving tour that will take them to antique and craft shops (or museums) - and loan them an umbrella. That is what I do. I have had a lot of drenching weekends since the beginning of June. This is not a hang around the house place - no where to hang.
Had one couple decide to take the trail when therewas a break in the rain - they got dumped on 3 times (shower/stop/shower), came back soaked and laughing like school kids (it was their 30 year anniversary). I had them drop their wet cloles down my "laudry shute" (over the railing) and washed & dried them for them.

So far? Nothing. Guests shop regardless. I'll suggest museums (Owl's Head is always on the list) but I haven't put out games or anything. I kind of like it when they leave for a bit so I can lug laundry around.

You are not their babysitter! You have no control over the weather. It is really not your job to worry what they will do. They are adults and can take care of themselves. Sorry to be so harsh, but why do you feel the need to do something????
We have TV with VCR and lots of videos, games, magazines, etc... and of course we have lots of caverns here..so they can always go underground when the weather doesn't cooperate...but aside from telling that...I felt no compulsion to guarantee the guests a fun weekend. That is up to their doing.
Give yourself a break..you don't have to do all of it!
kiss.gif

I think you've covered your bases
regular_smile.gif
If you have loaner umbrellas and can send them to any indoor sightseeing at all, then you've done more than enough.

Our weather here has been bad also, mostly rain and overcast..temps in the mid to low 50's....so much for our midnight sun and "beautiful Alaskan summers"....
I never thought of rainy days, like catlady said, I am not their babysitter..buuut, gillumhouse gave me an idea too...no museums, but lots of gift shops with native art......I could lay out an self guided tour..

I had guests who just wanted to hang around the B&B this past week. I am not accustomed to to that. Remember I mentioned a lady who was asked to leave a B&B during the day and how off-putting that was to her. So for that reason I was very careful, but these people made our place the end all of their vacation and ate ever snack and anything they could get their hands on and it bugged me.
I KNOW THAT IS WRONG. But you know how the privacy issue really gets to you after a while, you just want guests to go out and have fun. Instead of having to talk to them everytime you head into a room or outside or upstairs. UGH
So I nearly tore a few heads off around here and I think that is why...I need a break. Sure one room in SEEMS like a break, but you really want NOONE AROUND so you can kick back.
So my proclamation for the day - I am so thankful we are NOT a destination B&B. That would get old very quick. For all the times I gripe about one night stays, here I am saying I am thankful for them, ocassionally.
confused_smile.gif

I had guests who just wanted to hang around the B&B this past week. I am not accustomed to to that. Remember I mentioned a lady who was asked to leave a B&B during the day and how off-putting that was to her. So for that reason I was very careful, but these people made our place the end all of their vacation and ate ever snack and anything they could get their hands on and it bugged me.
I KNOW THAT IS WRONG. But you know how the privacy issue really gets to you after a while, you just want guests to go out and have fun. Instead of having to talk to them everytime you head into a room or outside or upstairs. UGH
So I nearly tore a few heads off around here and I think that is why...I need a break. Sure one room in SEEMS like a break, but you really want NOONE AROUND so you can kick back.
So my proclamation for the day - I am so thankful we are NOT a destination B&B. That would get old very quick. For all the times I gripe about one night stays, here I am saying I am thankful for them, ocassionally.
confused_smile.gif
Exactly how I feel with the long-term guests.....
And the longer they stay, the more they feel at home.....
I am finding myself doing what I said I would never do..hangin up those little notes which say," Don't do this, don't do that, thank you, the management" ....

nap time!
i am just tired from the morning breakfast talk ... grumbles about the horrible horrible weather ... not in my power to change it.
one couple with two children all the way from oklahoma, they were sooo disappointed. i could not convince them to go on the puffin cruise this morning inspite of showers threatening ... i have umbrellas ... they always haul in a few traps on the cruise which these folks wanted to see .... they said they were leaving the STATE to get away from the rain. it is so ironic, we have had no rain for ages, then a deluge with vivid lightening, heavy fog when not raining so they could not see a thing. the works!
sad_smile.gif
i wonder if they bought trip insurance. can you buy trip insurance that compensates if the weather fouls up your plans?

Our weather here has been bad also, mostly rain and overcast..temps in the mid to low 50's....so much for our midnight sun and "beautiful Alaskan summers"....
I never thought of rainy days, like catlady said, I am not their babysitter..buuut, gillumhouse gave me an idea too...no museums, but lots of gift shops with native art......I could lay out an self guided tour...
Turn it into a package. Self-driving toour of the scenic sites and the native art craft shops. Any native artisans willing to do demos? Do lessons? Package stay at your place with lessons to do whatever. Find out how much they want for a lesson, add in you 2-night stay, pack them a lunch for the drive and you have a package that will draw guests. Hope it works for you.

I never thought of rainy days, like catlady said, I am not their babysitter..buuut, gillumhouse gave me an idea too...no museums, but lots of gift shops with native art......I could lay out an self guided tour...
Turn it into a package. Self-driving toour of the scenic sites and the native art craft shops. Any native artisans willing to do demos? Do lessons? Package stay at your place with lessons to do whatever. Find out how much they want for a lesson, add in you 2-night stay, pack them a lunch for the drive and you have a package that will draw guests. Hope it works for you.
Great idea, I will check and see if someone is interested in doing that. There are lots of elders who might be interested. Thanks.

Back