Raised by wolves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Most of you know I live 'up north' where it is still in the 30's at night. Daytime temps are getting into the 60's but only by a smidge. So, lets ask - does A/C work when the outside temp is below 60? Probably not. If the outside temp is in the 30's could you cool off a room by opening a window? Probably yes.
So, explain to me why TWO separate rooms last night disassembled the A/C winterizing to plug in and run the A/C? One room has SIX windows. Not a one of them was open.
I am amazed that anyone would think it was ok to remove the winterizing and throw it on the floor.
Another room had the heat on and the windows open. They probably didn't turn on the A/C because it's a window unit and not installed yet. ;-) BECAUSE IT'S TOO DAMN COLD OUTSIDE!
Lest you wonder - we do not control the heat. Each room has a thermostat so if someone was too warm they could turn the heat all the way off.
Running the A/C does not give you 'fresh air' so that's not an excuse.
And don't get me started on the clothing strewn all over the room, wet towels on the beds and mixed in with the clothing, etc.
Time to hire the new housekeeper. It's too early for me to be grousing!
Anyway, looks like I am getting my new A/C housing units with locks.

My innkeeper experience taught me that there are way too many people out there who are unfamiliar with the concept of actually opening a window! Too many folks live in homes and run their HVAC systems all the time...for whatever reason.
In the Spring here, the pollen is so bad that opening the windows on a truly lovely day is not a great idea either.
Not defending your inconsiderate guests, but this seems to be the way people are living now. Or, they just don't understand how heating/cooling systems and fresh air can work together. :-(

We have ha a few days in the 80's here already. Guests came and requested me to light a fire in the fireplace. I told them "if I light a fire, I'm disconnecting your air conditioner!" they look at me funny and said "well it's going to get really hot in the room!" Thinking to myself " you think!!!! It's fliping 80 outside and your sweeting while you ask me to light a fire!" I think I have the rest of your guests family staying with us! .....oh if you are wondering, I dd light the fire and did not turn the AC off. What ever it takes to
make customers happy! I don't think they used it for more than a few min.

We have ha a few days in the 80's here already. Guests came and requested me to light a fire in the fireplace. I told them "if I light a fire, I'm disconnecting your air conditioner!" they look at me funny and said "well it's going to get really hot in the room!" Thinking to myself " you think!!!! It's fliping 80 outside and your sweeting while you ask me to light a fire!" I think I have the rest of your guests family staying with us! .....oh if you are wondering, I dd light the fire and did not turn the AC off. What ever it takes to
make customers happy! I don't think they used it for more than a few min..
Our whole house A/C was running at the beginning of the week here as well...mid 80s and humid! Thankfully a cold front came through with big rain and cooled things down. Yippee!
People who want a fire when the weather is warm probably don't have a fireplace at home! ;-)
Or, people be cRaZy...

not okay to pull out your winterizing ... but hmmmm ... two rooms did this? am wondering if possibly during the night the rooms got too warm ... i don't know how you'd check except to stay in there when no guests are in them.
as for heat on and windows open, it used to make me crazy. i had thermostats in all the rooms and had them set so they would go no higher than a certain temp. i don't recall how it was done but it had to be re-done as the season changed. there was a little gizmo inside the thermostat that controlled it, sorry that i don't recall how it worked.
i remember going in to the one room that had a/c downstairs and the guests had gone leaving the a/c on PLUS the heat, PLUS two windows open, PLUS they went out and left the window fan in the bathroom running. i could just see the electric meter spinning away in my mind. same people left SOAKING wet towels on the bed, on the overstuffed chair and on the floor. jeez. they seemed like happy, contented guests.

We had an 80+ day last week so I put the A/C in the room of the night shift guy - and then the temps dropped. He never used it but thanked me for putting it in (he planned to help me but I do not want guests to chance hurting themselves lifting things like an A/C. Neither of my guests have done the heat with open window. The kid has been told he cannot USE his heat because of all the plastic tubs he has in front of the heater!

not okay to pull out your winterizing ... but hmmmm ... two rooms did this? am wondering if possibly during the night the rooms got too warm ... i don't know how you'd check except to stay in there when no guests are in them.
as for heat on and windows open, it used to make me crazy. i had thermostats in all the rooms and had them set so they would go no higher than a certain temp. i don't recall how it was done but it had to be re-done as the season changed. there was a little gizmo inside the thermostat that controlled it, sorry that i don't recall how it worked.
i remember going in to the one room that had a/c downstairs and the guests had gone leaving the a/c on PLUS the heat, PLUS two windows open, PLUS they went out and left the window fan in the bathroom running. i could just see the electric meter spinning away in my mind. same people left SOAKING wet towels on the bed, on the overstuffed chair and on the floor. jeez. they seemed like happy, contented guests..
Not sure how the rooms would have gotten warm if they didn't turn the heat on. Believe me it is not warm on MY side of the house! And, hey, how about opening a window??? Both rooms are from up this way so they certainly know that windows open. I left the window open in one room so they can see just exactly how friggin' cold it can get with the window open.
(Not yelling at you, just still wound up about it!)

i remember going in to the one room that had a/c downstairs and the guests had gone leaving the a/c on PLUS the heat, PLUS two windows open, PLUS they went out and left the window fan in the bathroom running. i could just see the electric meter spinning away in my mind. same people left SOAKING wet towels on the bed, on the overstuffed chair and on the floor. jeez. they seemed like happy, contented guests..
Not sure how the rooms would have gotten warm if they didn't turn the heat on. Believe me it is not warm on MY side of the house! And, hey, how about opening a window??? Both rooms are from up this way so they certainly know that windows open. I left the window open in one room so they can see just exactly how friggin' cold it can get with the window open.
Madeleine said:
So was the window still open when you came in the next day? Guess it would be hard to tell if they used the a/c unless they left it on again.
Down here we don't have the opp to open the windows very often, a couple weeks in spring & fall. Yet we do get those from the other coast that want to try thinking the temps drop (humidity too) overnight which is not the case here. Usually they end up having the window open with the a/c running.

Madeleine said:
So was the window still open when you came in the next day? Guess it would be hard to tell if they used the a/c unless they left it on again.
Down here we don't have the opp to open the windows very often, a couple weeks in spring & fall. Yet we do get those from the other coast that want to try thinking the temps drop (humidity too) overnight which is not the case here. Usually they end up having the window open with the a/c running.
No idea. I put on my painting clothes after everyone was served brekkie and DH took care of the rooms. (OK, he stripped the beds and cleaned the bathrooms, I'll have to put everything back together tomorrow!) But, painting is progressing!

Heat on and windows open drives me batty! Our rooms are individually heated with electric baseboard heaters and guests control the temperature with a thermostat in their room. Still they'll crank the heat and open the window!
I've heard anecdotally of some sort of device that will disconnect power to the heater if the window opens (maybe disrupts the circuit??). If anyone is familiar with such a thing or where to get one, please let me know.

Heat on and windows open drives me batty! Our rooms are individually heated with electric baseboard heaters and guests control the temperature with a thermostat in their room. Still they'll crank the heat and open the window!
I've heard anecdotally of some sort of device that will disconnect power to the heater if the window opens (maybe disrupts the circuit??). If anyone is familiar with such a thing or where to get one, please let me know..
I want one too!

I've heard anecdotally of some sort of device that will disconnect power to the heater if the window opens (maybe disrupts the circuit??). If anyone is familiar with such a thing or where to get one, please let me know..
The ones in Europe are great, your room card must be in for the electricity to work. But you can have an electrician hook up an alarm switch or a slide switch as an override on the baseboard. They open the window, the baseboard is off.

Old thread, but relevant.
Thoughts on perm locking windows to prevent opening when a/c or heat is on?
Not to mention security?

Not to mention security?.
Ahhh, when I saw this thread pop up with Maddie's name I smiled and thought "She's back"! Drats...it's an old thread.

undersea said:
Old thread, but relevant. Thoughts on perm locking windows to prevent opening when a/c or heat is on? Not to mention security?
If windows are permanently locked, what's your escape plan in event of fire? Guests break windows to get out? They probably will do that anyway.
As for the A/C window units - if you are buying new construction, look into having split system A/C installed. If you have to do window units, the simple solution is to screw the unit to the window sash.
You can also build the window units into the wall. But, if you can get all the noise of the unit away from the guest room, that's the best way.

undersea said:
Old thread, but relevant. Thoughts on perm locking windows to prevent opening when a/c or heat is on? Not to mention security?
If windows are permanently locked, what's your escape plan in event of fire? Guests break windows to get out? They probably will do that anyway.
As for the A/C window units - if you are buying new construction, look into having split system A/C installed. If you have to do window units, the simple solution is to screw the unit to the window sash.
You can also build the window units into the wall. But, if you can get all the noise of the unit away from the guest room, that's the best way.
Morticia said:
undersea said:
I know on the health dept inspection form I got a week ago that was on there, are windows permanently locked.

make customers happy! I don't think they used it for more than a few min..
Hillbilly said:
What ever it takes to make customers happy!
I just do not understand why this way of thinking is so hard to shake.

Ahhh, when I saw this thread pop up with Maddie's name I smiled and thought "She's back"! Drats...it's an old thread.
Silverspoon said:
My thoughts too! We sure miss her!

Back