Ranking of top two amenities by segment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
I attended a large conference on Online Marketing for Tourism (how niche is that??) back in March. This slide is from a presentation on current trends; the data is from a JD Powers survey. Of course it doesn't include B&B's as a segment, but it's interesting to see what the traveling public wants and where they can expect to get it.
image.tiff

Once again, B&B's are the best value and have the amenities travelers want.

Very interesting...so what does that say about the upscale and luxury guest? They obviously do not think the value is there if they are asking for free internet services and 0% of the luxury hotels are offering free wifi.
If I was paying $600 or more a night for an upscale or luxury room the last thing I would want to see on my bill is the internet charge! One would think the higher class the hotel the more included amenities one would find.

Very interesting...so what does that say about the upscale and luxury guest? They obviously do not think the value is there if they are asking for free internet services and 0% of the luxury hotels are offering free wifi.
If I was paying $600 or more a night for an upscale or luxury room the last thing I would want to see on my bill is the internet charge! One would think the higher class the hotel the more included amenities one would find..
Weaver said:
If I was paying $600 or more a night for an upscale or luxury room the last thing I would want to see on my bill is the internet charge! One would think the higher class the hotel the more included amenities one would find.
If I were ABLE to travel around and pay $600 or more a night for a hotel room, I don't think I would care if they added $15-30 (or so) more for Wifi service. This is why these hotels CAN do it, their guests are not worried about petty change.
poke.gif

If I was paying $600 or more a night for an upscale or luxury room the last thing I would want to see on my bill is the internet charge! One would think the higher class the hotel the more included amenities one would find..
Weaver said:
If I were ABLE to travel around and pay $600 or more a night for a hotel room, I don't think I would care if they added $15-30 (or so) more for Wifi service. This is why these hotels CAN do it, their guests are not worried about petty change.
poke.gif

True, very true. Guess I wouldn't care if I could afford that room either.

Many of the upscale/luxury hotels also cater to high level business travelers and their business will pick up the WiFi charge. I do think that it's very odd that these places charge for WiFi in the rooms, but apparently there's a big infrastructure cost for WiFi in a very large property, so they feel justified in charging for it.
Am staying in a luxury hotel on a Living Social deal in a week or so and I'll update the forum on just what amenities are provided in the room rate.
regular_smile.gif

I would have stayed in a B&B that I've stayed in before (for the same rate actually as the hotel LS deal I got), but this hotel has a bit better location and has a fantastic view of the city we're visiting, which the B&B doesn't offer.

Back