Rates for non-profits or corporate travel?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you have different rates for non-profits or corporate travel? Maybe a single person rate? It's so rare that we get anyone staying here for work that I have no idea if others have lower rates for these travelers.
I usually think when someone asks for any kind of discount that $10 off is not what they are looking for. I kind of want to say I'm running a non-profit, or I will be if I discount all the time. ;-)
(My guess is all the hotels were full.)

I don't do either. But we get them nonetheless. We are convenient in location and the price is good.
I do get the government rate question, there are two parts to this...
  1. Are you going to present me with working papers to show that you are on Government business, which is a legal requirement of asking for that rate (and you can be fired for using that rate for personal business.
  2. My taxes are your discount
Every damn time that I have been asked about government rate, it's been someone trying to get the rate for personal use or a scam.... one lady wanted to pay with a PO. NO! I'm not waiting for 180 days to get paid for a PO only to find out that it isn't real. Put it on your government credit card... but you can't, you don't really work for the government, you are just trying to stay for free and claim it's a PO.

So glad there's so little government business up here where I am. And so glad my rates are such that government people don't even bother trying to book me.

I have a bereavement rate and that is what I give the rare times I get a business guest. It was $80.Raising to $85 in January. Even though there is a funeral home right across the street, I rarely get funeral traffic.

I have a bereavement rate and that is what I give the rare times I get a business guest. It was $80.Raising to $85 in January. Even though there is a funeral home right across the street, I rarely get funeral traffic..
I've said before I don't get out of bed for less than $100. That's now up to $150. ;-) (Different area, I know.)

I have a bereavement rate and that is what I give the rare times I get a business guest. It was $80.Raising to $85 in January. Even though there is a funeral home right across the street, I rarely get funeral traffic..
I've said before I don't get out of bed for less than $100. That's now up to $150. ;-) (Different area, I know.)
I do not have your taxes - thank goodness. But - it is all relative. What you make gets eaten up by the cost of living where you live, no matter where that happens to be.

I get the questions for every sort of discount, business rate, AAA, Vets etc. So your company only gives you a certain amount for your hotel expenses, then cough up the rest yourself in order to stay in a much better place.
I found the best way for me is to say, I follow the fair rate act so rates are the same all year for everyone in order to keep it fare to all my guest.
No one will argue that.

I get the questions for every sort of discount, business rate, AAA, Vets etc. So your company only gives you a certain amount for your hotel expenses, then cough up the rest yourself in order to stay in a much better place.
I found the best way for me is to say, I follow the fair rate act so rates are the same all year for everyone in order to keep it fare to all my guest.
No one will argue that..
My rates do not change (I would not be able to remember it if they did). I do have a 15% discount for Military and Police/Fire (My family is riddled with all 3 and I know what they deal with so it is a thank you.) The bereavementis because no one can plan for a funeral AND I have 3 funeral homes with Shinnston addresses for all the good THAT does me. The bereavement rate did get me a 4-night (she had only planned on doing 1) last year.

No one will argue that..
I once had a man call and continuously ask me for discounts. I replied that we offer only the one through our website and no other. He tried everything including that he could stay at a particular hotel for the same price.
I quoted him their rates... daily was double mine, cheapest breakfast and parking. It was double my rate. I told him to enjoy his stay there, said goodbye and hung up. There is no pleasing the discount hunters and they will try to nickel and dime you on anything they can... leaving with the rolls of toilet paper, if they can get away with it. They are NOT our customer. It's like the super picky breakfast people.... that's why you rent a whole place on Air and make your own damn breakfast. Nope. Not everyone needs to be my client. Just the ones who appreciate the work we do.

Exactly right. The more people nickel and dime me on the phone, playing the high-maintenance game, the more it's clear they're NOT the right customer for me.
And if it keeps going, I finally say, "It sounds like we're not a good fit for what you're looking for -- let me suggest [name of competitor who did something recently to irritate me].

Morticia said:
Then that is your answer! But since you asked:
We get a good share of gov. travel here, and some reg. bus guest.
We set our business travel rate the same as the per diem rate... we do room + breakfast, only a few are tax exempt and must provide paperwork for me to honor that. To qualify for this rate: Sun-Thur only, single occupancy.

Morticia said:
We set our business travel rate the same as the per diem rate... we do room + breakfast, only a few are tax exempt and must provide paperwork for me to honor that. To qualify for this rate: Sun-Thur only, single occupancy.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
I think the govt per diem rate is $92 here. That's just too low. We don't get a lot of calls for this as we have so many hotels that can easily let 10 rooms book for that rate and make it up on the other 90.
I've asked our vacation guests who also travel here for business why they don't stay here then. One guy told me he suggested it and was told by the accounting Dept that 'B&B' implied 'fancy' and 'vacation' so would not go over well in an audit.

Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
I think the govt per diem rate is $92 here. That's just too low. We don't get a lot of calls for this as we have so many hotels that can easily let 10 rooms book for that rate and make it up on the other 90.
I've asked our vacation guests who also travel here for business why they don't stay here then. One guy told me he suggested it and was told by the accounting Dept that 'B&B' implied 'fancy' and 'vacation' so would not go over well in an audit.
Morticia said:
I think the govt per diem rate is $92 here.
We're at $94 now, here in the middle of nowhere!

Exactly right. The more people nickel and dime me on the phone, playing the high-maintenance game, the more it's clear they're NOT the right customer for me.
And if it keeps going, I finally say, "It sounds like we're not a good fit for what you're looking for -- let me suggest [name of competitor who did something recently to irritate me]..
PS - Totally off topic, but is that you in the knitting pic I just saw on FB? Brain hat? Cool!

We have a single traveler rate of $150 for rooms with regular couple rate ranging from $165 to $185. I will do a US Government GSA rate for someone visiting in slow times who seems friendly (if you demand it, you don't get it; I offer it). For us that's $109 lodging plus $14 breakfast, so $123. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. And only applies if paid by GSA credit card.
Other discounts .. bah. A lot of people are obligated (by a spouse) to ask, but our regular rates are pretty reasonable year round, so, nope. Good guests recognize this and book; the others "have to ask my husband" and we never hear from them again. I've learned to quote room prices in the first sentence after Hello so I'm not wasting anybody's time if we're too expensive.

We have a single traveler rate of $150 for rooms with regular couple rate ranging from $165 to $185. I will do a US Government GSA rate for someone visiting in slow times who seems friendly (if you demand it, you don't get it; I offer it). For us that's $109 lodging plus $14 breakfast, so $123. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. And only applies if paid by GSA credit card.
Other discounts .. bah. A lot of people are obligated (by a spouse) to ask, but our regular rates are pretty reasonable year round, so, nope. Good guests recognize this and book; the others "have to ask my husband" and we never hear from them again. I've learned to quote room prices in the first sentence after Hello so I'm not wasting anybody's time if we're too expensive..
We got the 'have to talk to my husband' spiel last night. Then they showed up at the door. Looked at the room and left. They said their next 'viewing' was at a place down the road. $125/night, so, a big savings for them. Ok by me, the room booked overnight so all is good.

I don't do either. But we get them nonetheless. We are convenient in location and the price is good.
I do get the government rate question, there are two parts to this...
  1. Are you going to present me with working papers to show that you are on Government business, which is a legal requirement of asking for that rate (and you can be fired for using that rate for personal business.
  2. My taxes are your discount
Every damn time that I have been asked about government rate, it's been someone trying to get the rate for personal use or a scam.... one lady wanted to pay with a PO. NO! I'm not waiting for 180 days to get paid for a PO only to find out that it isn't real. Put it on your government credit card... but you can't, you don't really work for the government, you are just trying to stay for free and claim it's a PO..
I have one yearly who requests a stay here. Full price. I invoice the county department then they send a check.
I live in a very small county. We pretty much know each other so if any of the lodging providers were to be stiffed news would travel fast.

Other discounts .. bah. A lot of people are obligated (by a spouse) to ask, but our regular rates are pretty reasonable year round, so, nope. Good guests recognize this and book; the others "have to ask my husband" and we never hear from them again. I've learned to quote room prices in the first sentence after Hello so I'm not wasting anybody's time if we're too expensive..
We got the 'have to talk to my husband' spiel last night. Then they showed up at the door. Looked at the room and left. They said their next 'viewing' was at a place down the road. $125/night, so, a big savings for them. Ok by me, the room booked overnight so all is good.
We won't let them into the building... only registered guests... photos on website.

Nope. We only have 4 rooms. All are with ensuite jacuzzi baths except one that's rented out as an "add on" for families. No hotel offers what we do so affordably(125-189 per night) and I don't want that kind of client anyway. They are the ones who always ask for extra, and even though you provide it decline to leave a review.

My opinion is that a discount should help the operator as well as the guest. If that guest wants to visit on Tuesday in April it will be a lower price than Saturday in July, of course that's not what folks desire. Discounts where I ask unreasonable prices and then claim to offer a discount is just game playing. Perhaps I'm just too dumb to play the game, but i prefer to just offer a reasonable price to all.
Yes, maybe I'm losing out, as I've had those calls, "you have the best price in town" and then proceed to ask for discounts, my answer is usually that I don't play the game, but I can double the rate and give you a big discount if it makes you feel better.
Over time I think it has helped me establish a nice group of repeat guests who appreciate not getting gouged on a busy weekend.

Back