Rating TP

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
That well-known consumer magazine has just published it's latest toilet paper reviews and I thought I'd share the main info.
White Cloud Ultra 3 Ply (a Walmart brand) ranked number 1, being far head of any other brand with a score of 88. It costs 25 cents for 100 sheets.
All the other brands in the top 5 scored between 68 and 71, so the White Cloud score really stood out.
Charmin Ultra Strong ranked number 2 with a score of 71 but costs 41 cents for 100 sheets. #3 in the ranking was Quilted Northern Ultra Plush, with a cost of 38 cents for 100 sheets.
So the White Cloud seems the obvious one to pick, both for quality and price. See a Time Magazine article on this important subject here.

Was there any mention of use with septic systems? I thought some of the "stronger" and 3 plys were not good with a septic system....

And so this can also be a poll for innkeepers.
My answers would be:
WhiteCloud #1
Angelsoft #2
Charmin no no no too thick clogs toilets
Scott no no no too thin causes angry people including me

Was there any mention of use with septic systems? I thought some of the "stronger" and 3 plys were not good with a septic system.....
white pine said:
Was there any mention of use with septic systems? I thought some of the "stronger" and 3 plys were not good with a septic system....
The White Cloud Ultra 3 Ply was rated Excellent for ease of disintegration.
Charmin Ultra Strong was rated Very Good

Was there any mention of use with septic systems? I thought some of the "stronger" and 3 plys were not good with a septic system.....
white pine said:
Interestingly enough, did you know that US toilet paper doesn't fit on our rolls? It's quite a bit wider than our TP.
The brand I use is 100% recycled and 2 ply. Don't see much in 3 ply around here.

white pine said:
Interestingly enough, did you know that US toilet paper doesn't fit on our rolls? It's quite a bit wider than our TP.
The brand I use is 100% recycled and 2 ply. Don't see much in 3 ply around here.
Jon Sable said:
Be patient. The report points out that US TP rolls are getting narrower and narrower as they try to fool you into paying the same money for less paper.
I'd never heard of 3-ply either, until this report drew my attention to the Walmart brand.

Interesting that you bring this up, of course.
lrg_Lesmeister%20Guest%20House%20bathroom4_Innspiring%20road%20trip.jpg

white pine said:
Jon Sable said:
Be patient. The report points out that US TP rolls are getting narrower and narrower as they try to fool you into paying the same money for less paper.
I'd never heard of 3-ply either, until this report drew my attention to the Walmart brand.
The cardboard "core" is getting larger and larger too...for fewer sheets on a roll. I found some old T.P. in an upstairs closet and was surprised at how much smaller the core used to be!

white pine said:
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Well I went for my TP purchase today at WallyWorld and thought of this thread. I searched and finally found the White Cloud 3 ply which was ~.25c per as stated - $5.95 for a 18 double roll package picked it up and set it down, then picked up my current #1 choice - Angel Soft 18 double roll package for ruffly the same price.
The Angel Soft was much heavier meaning more paper, less air within the paper fibers.... and consequently more absorbent. At least that is how I see it.

Well I went for my TP purchase today at WallyWorld and thought of this thread. I searched and finally found the White Cloud 3 ply which was ~.25c per as stated - $5.95 for a 18 double roll package picked it up and set it down, then picked up my current #1 choice - Angel Soft 18 double roll package for ruffly the same price.
The Angel Soft was much heavier meaning more paper, less air within the paper fibers.... and consequently more absorbent. At least that is how I see it..
Copperhead said:
The Angel Soft was much heavier meaning more paper, less air within the paper fibers.... and consequently more absorbent. At least that is how I see it.
Copperhead, well that is all fine and dandy, "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" :)

The Angel Soft was much heavier meaning more paper, less air within the paper fibers.... and consequently more absorbent. At least that is how I see it..
Copperhead said:
and one has butterflies pressed into the plies.
heart.gif

Unfortunately, I'm in the category of single ply Scott's tissue. Marine stores call their equivalent "boat toilet paper" and sell it for $6 for 4 small rolls. It's the same as the Scott's single ply - I did a comparison by putting some in a glass of water and stirring to see how quickly it breaks up - no difference between the cheap stuff and the "boat" stuff.
We have vacuflush toilets and the paper has to disintegrate before it gets "whooshed" through the pipe, through the vacuum tank, and to the pump at 90 mph. Ain't no way I'm going digging through four duckbills in the sewage hose to dig out toilet paper! Yes, we probably use more each time, but we're used to it now. When I go somewhere and find the nice Charmin stuff, I feel like I'm using a piece of cloth. I guess it's all about what you're used to.

Back