RE: Pictures of Food

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Learned a few pointers from the thread "Pictures of food" just in time before I took pics of a tray of chocoate covered fruits.
What do you think? Does it look appealing? Could I post this picture with my add-on option online? Anything I should change?
Thanks everyone for the input.
Maggie
Chocolate%20Dipped%20Fruit.JPG

I think I would highlight the fruit a little more and the whipped cream a little less. It sorta looks 'white' all over. Also, set the bowl on a colorful napkin or placemat for background impact.

Not sure what the greenery is, but some of it looks brown on the tips. You might try something like mint for the garnish. The chocolate covered cherrys(?) look flat. Try brushing them with some vegetable oil to give them an appealing gloss. Finally, the whole thing needs to be featured in an actual place setting with coffee, juice in natural lighting if possible.

Maybe just for the picture, dip your fruits in the chocolate that contrasts in color to the fruit. Make the cherry/blueberry color come out with white chocolate, make the apple/orange with milk/dark, etc...
Take the picture in natural light near a window or outside, place dish on a colorful, plate, charger or colorful solid color something.. Also instead of all the fruit mixed up, arrange the fruit like you would a flower arrangement, place each fruit in a pattern or group, it's hard to tell what it is when it's all in a bunch. Showcase those strawberries by having them tilted up and on the sides or near the front...
If you have any photo editing software, I would touch up the greens, so there isn't any brown, it makes it look wilted.

It's tough to make the chocolate dipped fruit look appealing on your website. I can tell that you've done white & milk chocolate there on different kinds of fruits, so that would be yummy to me. Chocoholics unite! But, it's just kind of there on its lonesome. You do need to set that pretty crystal bowl on some kind of bright solid colored napkin. Maybe place a flower beside it at the base. Don't do the nuts on the chocolate...for some reason that never comes out good looking in a photo. The strawberry leaves have to be super fresh...as you can tell, PT saw the little bit of brown
sad_smile.gif

How much do you sell that for?

To me...that looks SUPER YUMMY....but I would remove the stems first!
Man...I'm hungry now! can I come over?

I think I would highlight the fruit a little more and the whipped cream a little less. It sorta looks 'white' all over. Also, set the bowl on a colorful napkin or placemat for background impact..
Sorry, no whipped cream in this pic..only white chocolate.
But thanks, will pay attention to that next time :)

Not sure what the greenery is, but some of it looks brown on the tips. You might try something like mint for the garnish. The chocolate covered cherrys(?) look flat. Try brushing them with some vegetable oil to give them an appealing gloss. Finally, the whole thing needs to be featured in an actual place setting with coffee, juice in natural lighting if possible..
will try the vegetable oil...thanks :)

It's tough to make the chocolate dipped fruit look appealing on your website. I can tell that you've done white & milk chocolate there on different kinds of fruits, so that would be yummy to me. Chocoholics unite! But, it's just kind of there on its lonesome. You do need to set that pretty crystal bowl on some kind of bright solid colored napkin. Maybe place a flower beside it at the base. Don't do the nuts on the chocolate...for some reason that never comes out good looking in a photo. The strawberry leaves have to be super fresh...as you can tell, PT saw the little bit of brown
sad_smile.gif

How much do you sell that for?.
I will keep all that in mind next time ...I should make another one tomorrow and see.
actually, that day the chocolate was absolutely not co operating with me, thus the nuts for cover up...
I sell these for $15.00...

Not sure what the greenery is, but some of it looks brown on the tips. You might try something like mint for the garnish. The chocolate covered cherrys(?) look flat. Try brushing them with some vegetable oil to give them an appealing gloss. Finally, the whole thing needs to be featured in an actual place setting with coffee, juice in natural lighting if possible..
Mooseberry Inn said:
If you want your food to appear that it has water droplets on it (a.k.a. dew) then spritz glycerin on it. The glycerin beads up into tiny droplets. The oil will give it a uniform sheen.

Maybe just for the picture, dip your fruits in the chocolate that contrasts in color to the fruit. Make the cherry/blueberry color come out with white chocolate, make the apple/orange with milk/dark, etc...
Take the picture in natural light near a window or outside, place dish on a colorful, plate, charger or colorful solid color something.. Also instead of all the fruit mixed up, arrange the fruit like you would a flower arrangement, place each fruit in a pattern or group, it's hard to tell what it is when it's all in a bunch. Showcase those strawberries by having them tilted up and on the sides or near the front...
If you have any photo editing software, I would touch up the greens, so there isn't any brown, it makes it look wilted..
I have not thought about the contrasting of the fruit with the chocolate, just the chocolate. Will do that next time.
A for the leaves, maybe I will have to take them off totally since we never have any fruits that fresh in our store....I could always grow my own :)

i would not try to hard to photograph food. i had a few of my own pictures that were random and surprisingly good (at least i thought so) and a few stock photos - $1.00 for the rights to use them on my website. i found pictures that looked just like what i served. a stock photo of a stack of blueberry pancakes alongside a picture of the blueberry compote i made. you don't need a lot of food photo's, just one or two to allow your guests to envision their breakfast with you.
the point for me was not to try to trick anyone, just to show what i was serving. and i had no funds to pay a good professional photographer.
i spoke with one photographer ... trying to work out a barter arrangement ... but he had enough barter offers and needed dollars. he told me he used elmer's glue instead of milk and floral pins to hold food in place, amoung other things. he said nothing of what he shot was edible once he was finished with it. i didn't try that.
wink_smile.gif

We have had guests take photos of our food plates and ask us why we do not put photos on our website ...it is for exactly these reasons above. We have however posted all the photos our guests have taken on our FB site.
One day, and we keep saying that ... "manana" !
There was a food post not too long after I joined about photographing food.
When using chocolate, it has to be tempered in order to get that glossy finish. I think the dish looks yummy, all that chocolate. I think that $15.00 is a great price for all of that. :)

Back