Reading Lamps

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginocat

Reaction score
So we've discussed TV and music a little. What about good reading lamps? I often go to bbs where there is a lamp only on one side of the bed or they are the small beside lamps - low and with a max. 40 watt bulb and not even a decent lamp (or any lamp) by chairs. I love to read - sometimes sitting up, sometimes in bed. So many of my guests bring several books when they come and they are always happy that I have good bedside reading lamps as well as reading lamps by the chairs.

Imperative. The more the merrier. When we bought this place there was like one lamp per room nowhere near the bed or a chair. It baffled me.

YES! A good reading lamp is essential. Even if guests don't want to read, having very low wattage bulbs can make the room look more dismal than 'romantic'. I've watched a couple of guests look around for the light switch when the lights have been ON so I know that room needs higher wattage bulbs.
We have lamps next to the beds or over the beds. Wattages from 75 to 100. We now use the CFLs so you don't get blinded by turning on a 100w bulb in the dark!
Also good to have multiple wattages in the bathroom. Low for nighttime (night lights) and high for shaving, etc. Too bad, tho, that the high wattage bulbs do not make older women look good! That's what I need...good wattage bulbs for guys to shave, but a better 'color' so women look good!

When we bought our place, we added a lot more lamps, then found out we had overloaded circuits. We added another panel (something that was suggested in the inspection report) and DH reconfigured the circuits so now we only have the occasional hair dryer overload problem.
I truly hate going somewhere without reading lights - it is what I do on vacation that makes me call it a vacation. Reading, that is. I have been in too many B&Bs that lack comfortable places to read with lights. Once I stayed in one of those hip hotels in NY where the only lamp was a 40-watt pendant that hung down over a little tiny table and picture lights on the artwork in the room. Despised that place!
Finally, something Ginocat and I can agree on.

When we bought our place, we added a lot more lamps, then found out we had overloaded circuits. We added another panel (something that was suggested in the inspection report) and DH reconfigured the circuits so now we only have the occasional hair dryer overload problem.
I truly hate going somewhere without reading lights - it is what I do on vacation that makes me call it a vacation. Reading, that is. I have been in too many B&Bs that lack comfortable places to read with lights. Once I stayed in one of those hip hotels in NY where the only lamp was a 40-watt pendant that hung down over a little tiny table and picture lights on the artwork in the room. Despised that place!
Finally, something Ginocat and I can agree on..
The last 3 nights of our vacation were spent in one room with no headboard on the bed and it was caty-corner so no sitting up in bed at all. Plus, light was on the ceiling. Two nights were spent on fold out couch with only ceiling fixture. Luckily, hubs can sleep thru my reading, but it was a bear having to get out of bed to go to the wall switch to turn the light off.
We basically couch-surfed most of our vacation. Hoping this year is better so we can book real rooms next vacation...

The last 3 nights of our vacation were spent in one room with no headboard on the bed and it was caty-corner so no sitting up in bed at all. Plus, light was on the ceiling. Two nights were spent on fold out couch with only ceiling fixture. Luckily, hubs can sleep thru my reading, but it was a bear having to get out of bed to go to the wall switch to turn the light off.
We basically couch-surfed most of our vacation. Hoping this year is better so we can book real rooms next vacation...
You should have come here!!

gillumhouse said:
We should have gone a lot of places! I realize I have 'friends in high places' that we could have visited. But, needed to see the pregnant one before the baby arrives and then had to hit all the rest of the NY family. We only missed 2 sisters, so we done good!

gillumhouse said:
We should have gone a lot of places! I realize I have 'friends in high places' that we could have visited. But, needed to see the pregnant one before the baby arrives and then had to hit all the rest of the NY family. We only missed 2 sisters, so we done good!
Ahhh, yes! The family obligation round. When we went to Illinois there were so many people we were expected to go see that it was anything BUT relaxing and before we moved here, had the same problem when coming to WV but in WV it was too many friends and no famility other than Daddy - and he was across the river in Ohio.

Being an avid reader I made sure we had plenty of lamps beside the beds plus an overhead light so that you can just flip the switch to turn on the lights. I always leave the light by the bed on when guests arrive after dark. Good topic!

Absolutely, have them on either side of the bed in each guest room. Each guest room has at least one comfy chair with a reading lamp :)

Back