Reading Material

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blenderboy

Reaction score
What type of Reading materials do you provide in Guest Rooms ?
I have some Books, some Magazines, and have some reading material in the common area "library."
Does anyone put newpapers, catalogs, or local ads in the rooms ?

Why are you going to try to sign us up for some magazines? We get too too many calls and solicitations for them, thank you.

I have a small library of books- local info and trashy reading. In the rooms I have mags of varying interest. A magazine service sends us mags every month. Don't know how we got on the list but we did. Otherwise, I just put out the mags I'm done with.
If someone has an event in town and they've done a nice brochure, I will put that out as well.

We have books that apply to the theme of the room. On the coffee table we put local things to do and restaurant info for our town that comes out on a weekly basis.
Riki

My books and magazines on the second floor are there to be "stolen" by the guests - and they are told this. It is some of everything - returning guests have started bringing books they have read and leaving them behind. I only have hardbacks. Paperbacks are not put out. Magazines are whatever has been sent to us free or pertains to DH interests (guy stuff).

We put out an assortment of magazines, paperbacks, local brochures and even crossword puzzle books. However, we have Wifi, so I think most of the reading is off the internet.

Why are you going to try to sign us up for some magazines? We get too too many calls and solicitations for them, thank you..
Now why would I bother with that ?
I do get repeat guests who also leave books,and themed books per room.
Brochures for local events, magazines sent for free.
But it always seems like there is a gap and I don't want to buy magazines.
I thought to carry some in our gifts selection to make up.

I try to get second hand books by local authors for example Gervais Phinn (He was a school inspector and is hilarious) also the Bronte's and Austins lived 20 mins from here and so on. However most of the people who stay with us are here for only 2 days or so and therefore don't read much. We get the papers on a sunday and a few magazaines.

We put out an assortment of magazines, paperbacks, local brochures and even crossword puzzle books. However, we have Wifi, so I think most of the reading is off the internet..
Ditto. I have my "take it - leave it" paperback library. I actively encourage taking a pile of books away ... and in return my repeats bring me box loads of books.
I then have my glass-doored shelves of "please feel free to read, but I'd rather they stayed here". 99% of the time guests respect that (don't worry I have my true treasures stashed elsewhere.
Next I have the space under my coffee table - half is "fun" stuff, crosswords, suduku (sp), jigsaws, logic puzzles etc and half is local stuff - hiking, biking, kayaking trails, local guide books, local birding books etc.
On top of the coffee table and in the nearby magazine rack is a supremely eclectic mix of magazines.
Some of the rooms have their own "take it - leave it" bookshelf outside their room and lastly I have a truly idiosyncratic mix of books in the rooms (bedside tables, bathroom shelves etc) .... um - OK, because they are all "my books" the slant is definitely cat oriented. From the sublime to the ridiculous (and I wonder why guests get to "know" me so fast".

I try to get second hand books by local authors for example Gervais Phinn (He was a school inspector and is hilarious) also the Bronte's and Austins lived 20 mins from here and so on. However most of the people who stay with us are here for only 2 days or so and therefore don't read much. We get the papers on a sunday and a few magazaines..
also the Bronte's and Austins lived 20 mins from here and so on.
Uh oh, I see a 'field trip' in my future! Are there organized tour maps of any of the Jane Austen books? I'm thinking particularly of Pride and Prejudice.

I try to get second hand books by local authors for example Gervais Phinn (He was a school inspector and is hilarious) also the Bronte's and Austins lived 20 mins from here and so on. However most of the people who stay with us are here for only 2 days or so and therefore don't read much. We get the papers on a sunday and a few magazaines..
Uh oh, I see a 'field trip' in my future! Are there organized tour maps of any of the Jane Austen books? I'm thinking particularly of Pride and Prejudice.
Books or films? They do tours of the actual places they lived and the places they are sure the books are really based on. I am not sure if they do tours of the places that things were filmed in but there are websites which tell you and you can go and see them as most are national trust properties and are open to the public (some are free and some you pay to get in)

We put out an assortment of magazines, paperbacks, local brochures and even crossword puzzle books. However, we have Wifi, so I think most of the reading is off the internet..
Ditto. I have my "take it - leave it" paperback library. I actively encourage taking a pile of books away ... and in return my repeats bring me box loads of books.
I then have my glass-doored shelves of "please feel free to read, but I'd rather they stayed here". 99% of the time guests respect that (don't worry I have my true treasures stashed elsewhere.
Next I have the space under my coffee table - half is "fun" stuff, crosswords, suduku (sp), jigsaws, logic puzzles etc and half is local stuff - hiking, biking, kayaking trails, local guide books, local birding books etc.
On top of the coffee table and in the nearby magazine rack is a supremely eclectic mix of magazines.
Some of the rooms have their own "take it - leave it" bookshelf outside their room and lastly I have a truly idiosyncratic mix of books in the rooms (bedside tables, bathroom shelves etc) .... um - OK, because they are all "my books" the slant is definitely cat oriented. From the sublime to the ridiculous (and I wonder why guests get to "know" me so fast".
Mine are a preponerance of good healthy murders - my favorites.

Books or films? They do tours of the actual places they lived and the places they are sure the books are really based on. I am not sure if they do tours of the places that things were filmed in but there are websites which tell you and you can go and see them as most are national trust properties and are open to the public (some are free and some you pay to get in)
Places in the stories. Altho, yes, I'd love to see where Jane actually lived! But I was thinking a driving tour kind of like in the book where they are going here and there and end up at Darcy's house.
Then again, there are probably a million people living there and it wouldn't be at all like I imagine it.

They do tours of the actual places they lived and the places they are sure the books are really based on. I am not sure if they do tours of the places that things were filmed in but there are websites which tell you and you can go and see them as most are national trust properties and are open to the public (some are free and some you pay to get in)
If I were in your shoes, Camberley, I'd not only be blogging (frequently) about those sites, I'd be coming up with some specials around those tours.
I think you could get some of those 2-days guests to stay an extra night if they had a pre-arranged tour or two set up. No doubt there are some tour operators who would love to work with you on that.

They do tours of the actual places they lived and the places they are sure the books are really based on. I am not sure if they do tours of the places that things were filmed in but there are websites which tell you and you can go and see them as most are national trust properties and are open to the public (some are free and some you pay to get in)
If I were in your shoes, Camberley, I'd not only be blogging (frequently) about those sites, I'd be coming up with some specials around those tours.
I think you could get some of those 2-days guests to stay an extra night if they had a pre-arranged tour or two set up. No doubt there are some tour operators who would love to work with you on that.
Believe me Ive tried to work with tour companies but they are only interested in doing really cheap packages or not interested in us because we don't do dinners (Really cheap being $60-70 per room based on 2 sharing) I do agree I should push the tourism aspects of where I am for example our tourism beauro brings out a pamphlet of what is going on all month and I should put it all on a blog and link to my web site but at the moment I just don't have the time. Until my part time chamber maid arrives in August/Sept I have my hands full plus me and DH are looking at an expansion idea which is going to be complicated and time consuming. So when we close for a week in August I do agree it will be on my to do list! (along with changing the carpets in 4 bedrooms which means moving all the furniture in and out on 4 floors) and maybe some decorating! think I will be more pooped after my week off!

Places in the stories. Altho, yes, I'd love to see where Jane actually lived! But I was thinking a driving tour kind of like in the book where they are going here and there and end up at Darcy's house.
Then again, there are probably a million people living there and it wouldn't be at all like I imagine it.
Have you seen "Becoming Jane". You'll love it.

Believe me Ive tried to work with tour companies but they are only interested in doing really cheap packages or not interested in us because we don't do dinners (Really cheap being $60-70 per room based on 2 sharing) I do agree I should push the tourism aspects of where I am for example our tourism beauro brings out a pamphlet of what is going on all month and I should put it all on a blog and link to my web site but at the moment I just don't have the time. Until my part time chamber maid arrives in August/Sept I have my hands full plus me and DH are looking at an expansion idea which is going to be complicated and time consuming. So when we close for a week in August I do agree it will be on my to do list! (along with changing the carpets in 4 bedrooms which means moving all the furniture in and out on 4 floors) and maybe some decorating! think I will be more pooped after my week off!
I think I will be more pooped after my week off!
Sounds like it!

Has anyone considered putting catalogs in the rooms or common areas ?
I've gotten some requests for Brookstone, LL Bean, and Sharper Image.
How do hosts feel about these catalogs that sell stuff ?
I am a on the fence, but am listening to my customers.

I am a on the fence, but am listening to my customers..
Really? Requests to put catalogs in rooms? I've never had that. Here's how I would decide...what do you want your guests' experience to be? A sales pitch? A relaxing vacation? Unless they can pop out the door to one of those stores I wouldn't put their catalogs in the room. It really looks like another guest dropped them there and no one cared enough to pick up the room. Unless, like I said, they can walk out the door to one of those stores, then they might think it was cool.
However, I spend a good chunk of my summer throwing out the catalogs from one of those places.

I am a on the fence, but am listening to my customers..
Really? Requests to put catalogs in rooms? I've never had that. Here's how I would decide...what do you want your guests' experience to be? A sales pitch? A relaxing vacation? Unless they can pop out the door to one of those stores I wouldn't put their catalogs in the room. It really looks like another guest dropped them there and no one cared enough to pick up the room. Unless, like I said, they can walk out the door to one of those stores, then they might think it was cool.
However, I spend a good chunk of my summer throwing out the catalogs from one of those places.
It's nature of the location. Outlet malls.
People must have it on their minds and they consider shopping relaxing ?
Some online catalogs give you commission as well, so I wonder if it's worth it as risidual income.

Back