Real getaway

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We decided to go away for a couple of days. Turns out the cellphone does not work here. We've tried to call in for our messages and keep getting an error message saying we cannot dial long distance. OK.
Email- tried logging in when we got here. Error msg from webhost that the pw I'm using is invalid. OK.
So, truly a getaway!

I'm in Atlanta on business. Had dinner at Hooters. Cell phone definitely works here. E-mailed Hooters photos to several friends!

I'm in Atlanta on business. Had dinner at Hooters. Cell phone definitely works here. E-mailed Hooters photos to several friends!.
Arkansawyer said:
I'm in Atlanta on business. Had dinner at Hooters. Cell phone definitely works here. E-mailed Hooters photos to several friends!
I will get to spend 3 hours at the Atlanta airport next month. I hope it is a nice airport.

I'm in Atlanta on business. Had dinner at Hooters. Cell phone definitely works here. E-mailed Hooters photos to several friends!.
Arkansawyer said:
I will get to spend 3 hours at the Atlanta airport next month. I hope it is a nice airport.
The airport is HUGE. They have a train that takes you from one side to the other. Don't be like me and think it would be nice to 'take a walk' after being cramped in the plane! Nice atrium where you can sit and have something to eat.

Arkansawyer said:
The airport is HUGE. They have a train that takes you from one side to the other. Don't be like me and think it would be nice to 'take a walk' after being cramped in the plane! Nice atrium where you can sit and have something to eat.
Thanks. I am familiar with O'Hare but my previous experience at Altanta has been limited to International to baggage to inspection to gate and barely getting through before my connecting flight loaded up. This time will not have a checked bag (coming home from Germany I had to have a bag for the booty) to deal with. Nice to know there will be a pleasant place to sit since my cousin will be out of town. (My knees convince me that walking is NOT a desirable activity these days.) Will have Kindle and knitting.
Coming home I have 30 minutes between landing and take-off in Minneapolis.

Arkansawyer said:
Hooters??? Really??? With all the great local places to eat!!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer considers Hooters a great place to eat...and sightsee.

Arkansawyer said:

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer considers Hooters a great place to eat...and sightsee.
Did you get cucumber slices to relieve the pain in your poor eyeballs after an evening there?

Arkansawyer said:

copperhead said:
OK, just for copperhead, tonight I found an Irish Pub just 1/2 block from my hotel. Had 2 Guinnesses and the fish 'n chips. Surely that qualifies as a good place to eat. Does for me!
Though, watching Wisconsin and Syracuse play basketball didn't quite equal the scenery at Hooters.

Arkansawyer said:
Thanks. I am familiar with O'Hare but my previous experience at Altanta has been limited to International to baggage to inspection to gate and barely getting through before my connecting flight loaded up. This time will not have a checked bag (coming home from Germany I had to have a bag for the booty) to deal with. Nice to know there will be a pleasant place to sit since my cousin will be out of town. (My knees convince me that walking is NOT a desirable activity these days.) Will have Kindle and knitting.
Knitting? In your carry on? I would check on that before hauling it to the airport.

Arkansawyer said:
Knitting? In your carry on? I would check on that before hauling it to the airport.
I took knitting to Germany. They even allowed my folding sewing scissors - but I will NOT take them to Vegas. I am knitting on circular needles. making a backpack to go with the leg warmers I made for my 15 yo GG. Going with the same luggage I used for Germany - a large zippered tote bag from a 2001 Conference and my Tourism back pack, no purse.

Arkansawyer said:
I took knitting to Germany. They even allowed my folding sewing scissors - but I will NOT take them to Vegas. I am knitting on circular needles. making a backpack to go with the leg warmers I made for my 15 yo GG. Going with the same luggage I used for Germany - a large zippered tote bag from a 2001 Conference and my Tourism back pack, no purse.
Always amazed at what some security people think is a 'dangerous weapon' and what others let go thru.
Side note...we had our car inspected at the border yesterday because we have different last names but 'claimed' to be married.

Arkansawyer said:
Always amazed at what some security people think is a 'dangerous weapon' and what others let go thru.
Side note...we had our car inspected at the border yesterday because we have different last names but 'claimed' to be married.
Madeleine said:
I carry a wine corkscrew everywhere I go. A few places have really looked it over, as if it's a pocket knife, but so far it has been passed through security every time.
But imagine what someone could do with a sharp pencil or ink pen, and those are never even questioned.
They only question things, like liquid and shoes, AFTER someone uses them as a weapon first. But I hear they are going to stop making people over 80 remove their shoes. So, things are getting better ;-)

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I carry a wine corkscrew everywhere I go. A few places have really looked it over, as if it's a pocket knife, but so far it has been passed through security every time.
But imagine what someone could do with a sharp pencil or ink pen, and those are never even questioned.
They only question things, like liquid and shoes, AFTER someone uses them as a weapon first. But I hear they are going to stop making people over 80 remove their shoes. So, things are getting better ;-)
They only question things, like liquid and shoes, AFTER someone uses them as a weapon first. But I hear they are going to stop making people over 80 remove their shoes. So, things are getting better
wink_smile.gif

Doesn't help me - YET! Actually it is probably because it takes us so long to TRY to bend over (if you are old enough to remember Laugh-In think of the old guy that always fell over) to take our shoes off (those ortopedic boats are a pain....) and then shuffle over to find a chair to put them back on - and do it BEFORE the plane leaves. OH! THAT is why we need to be at the airport 2 hours early. I am hoping Pittsburgh does not give me the medical exam I got at O'Hare - MRI, CAT, mammogram all in one. I will start doing the "Watching Joey Glow" a song by Steve Goodman.

Really? You ate at a Hooters chain restaurant when you had so many great local Atlanta options?! And then an Irish pub?
whattha.gif
That's kinda sad to me since I live here in Georgia....

Arkansawyer said:
Atlanta Hartsfield Terminal map link: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/terminal/
ATL is the busiest airport in the world and really large, but I find it very easy to navigate (it's my airport) because it's linear and not a circular or hub design. The airport has a North & South Terminal with The Atrium in between which is OUTSIDE of the security checkpoints. Each concourse (inside security) has many shops & restaurants (check the different maps in the link for something you might be interested in since you have some time to kill).
The walks can be very long for some folks, especially if you're carrying stuff. The train runs very often between the concourses. but you have to take an escalator or elevator up to the concourses from the train.
Have fun!

Really? You ate at a Hooters chain restaurant when you had so many great local Atlanta options?! And then an Irish pub?
whattha.gif
Samster said:
whattha.gif
Some of you seem to think I go to Hooters for the food ;-)
And I LOVE Irish pubs. There's not one place in the USA I'd pick over an Irish pub. This wasn't a Bennigan's type place that just calls itself an Irish pub. This was authentic and felt like the ones I always enjoy when I visit Ireland, and I loved it.
When men travel alone they get to pick the places, and these places will likely be different from what's picked when the spouse is along (and doing the deciding).

Arkansawyer said:
Atlanta Hartsfield Terminal map link: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/terminal/
ATL is the busiest airport in the world and really large, but I find it very easy to navigate (it's my airport) because it's linear and not a circular or hub design. The airport has a North & South Terminal with The Atrium in between which is OUTSIDE of the security checkpoints. Each concourse (inside security) has many shops & restaurants (check the different maps in the link for something you might be interested in since you have some time to kill).
The walks can be very long for some folks, especially if you're carrying stuff. The train runs very often between the concourses. but you have to take an escalator or elevator up to the concourses from the train.
Have fun!
Thanks, good to know. I figure I will STAY inside the security stuff. Going thru it once is more than enough for me. I was there last year in June coming home. I had to retrieve my luggage (suitcase full of shopping) and take it over to the luggage conveyer for my next flight and then got thru security again. I barely made my connecting flight! This time nothing will be checked.

Arkansawyer said:
Have fun!
Thanks, good to know. I figure I will STAY inside the security stuff. Going thru it once is more than enough for me. I was there last year in June coming home. I had to retrieve my luggage (suitcase full of shopping) and take it over to the luggage conveyer for my next flight and then got thru security again. I barely made my connecting flight! This time nothing will be checked.
Yes, you came into ATL through customs I believe and they had a 2 stage system when ATL was your first US airport at that time. I think the International arrival process has been changed recently (or so I was told by my dh) to make it easier for travelers. It had to do with having to deal with both customs and Homeland Security when arriving from outside the US. Hopefully, that's been streamlined...I know it was always a pain for me.
There's plenty to do in the ATL airport with 6 concourses!!
regular_smile.gif

Back