really messed up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
bottom right side bin in the fridge is jammed. there are two metal bowls of plum pudding, one on top of the other, that have tipped sideways and prevent the bin from opening. it slides open like a drawer. the shelf the bins are suspended from does not lift out of the fridge. opening the left bin does not allow access to the jammed right bin.
i have been opening the bin the one inch it opens and trying to push the bowls down with big spoons but so far no luck.
any brilliant ideas? i have really messed up!

The shelf my bins hang from doesn't come out, but there's a glass part on top which does.
Tongs?
Two chopsticks, pushing on either side?
Dh is thinking Hugh the Viking method, but you don't want to go there, I'm sure.
Good luck and let us know how you do it.
=)
Kk.

Other than trying to unjam the bowls, I'm at a loss here. I hope you get the drawer unjammed.
Sounds like when a tray of cookie dough scoops fell down under my big freezer drawer in my 3 door fridge recently. I finally figured out how to lift the drawer out to get to it without breaking something. That would have been just what I needed!!
Good luck!

i am thinking maybe i take a small cookie sheet and slip it in a little and push down on the top of the bowls (i hope) this is so not cool. it's not my fridge! i don't know if they have a cookie sheet that small that it will fit in there, maybe a flat pan cover. argh!

Instead of trying to push down the high side, can you try raising the low side?

raising the low side? it is what is inside the sliding bin that has it jammed so it won't open. maybe a long spatula to push up on the lower side of the top bowl? will try anything.

raising the low side? it is what is inside the sliding bin that has it jammed so it won't open. maybe a long spatula to push up on the lower side of the top bowl? will try anything..
Try a pancake turner (mine is a solid stainless) or a meay fork that you use to carve type to try to get under the bottom bowl on the tipped down side to see if you can pry it up a bit to straighten them up. Pushing down probably will not help. Other than than there is the tried and true Jack Moran method - jerk in and out on the drawer to try to shift them (remember how Dads would get the TV picture to get better? Bash the top of it!)

success!
i used a big stainless spatula, a long knife sharpener, my fingers
trying to poke around in there, finally pushed the little bowl down but the bigger bowl has a 'lip' and was caught on the edge of the shelf the bin slides in and out of.
on hands and knees, wiggling and pushing and pulling and trying to slide various things in there ... and i jammed my finger youch and gave it a big involuntary jerk and - plunk! the bigger bowl shifted enough - and i opened the bin! poor finger. but done. have put the bigger bowl under the little bowl the way the lady whose house this is had them and put a little sign in there ... 'little bowl must go on top'.
whew! i was reluctant to try to force anything since it's not my fridge
thank you.

success!
trying to poke around in there, finally pushed the little bowl down but the bigger bowl has a 'lip' and was caught on the edge of the shelf the bin slides in and out of.
on hands and knees, wiggling and pushing and pulling and trying to slide various things in there ... and i jammed my finger youch and gave it a big involuntary jerk and - plunk! the bigger bowl shifted enough - and i opened the bin! poor finger. but done. have put the bigger bowl under the little bowl the way the lady whose house this is had them and put a little sign in there ... 'little bowl must go on top'.
thank you..
Well done. Sorry about your finger....a little rum ought to help it ....soak then drink ;)

cheers.gif

success!
thank you..
Congrats on your success. Poor finger. Need to find someone to kiss it and make it well.

I knew you could do it!!! Yes, RUM always works. :D
Wanna know what my fellow Hatt-owners do when their refrigerators don't cooperate? They remove it with a saws-all...in pieces. LOL Just like I had to do with my old washer and dryer to get it out of here. A bit barbaric to open the door, but I've seen it done with a saws-all....followed by the welcoming of a new refrigerator.
I keep the saws-all buried deep within the bilge so that it is a big, time-consuming ordeal to remember where it is and then go get it, thereby lessening my temptation to actually use it.

Wanna know what my fellow Hatt-owners do when their refrigerators don't cooperate? They remove it with a saws-all...in pieces. LOL Just like I had to do with my old washer and dryer to get it out of here. A bit barbaric to open the door, but I've seen it done with a saws-all....followed by the welcoming of a new refrigerator.
I keep the saws-all buried deep within the bilge so that it is a big, time-consuming ordeal to remember where it is and then go get it, thereby lessening my temptation to actually use it..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I keep the saws-all buried deep within the bilge so that it is a big, time-consuming ordeal to remember where it is and then go get it, thereby lessening my temptation to actually use it.
Saws-all and turkey. Need I say more?

I keep the saws-all buried deep within the bilge so that it is a big, time-consuming ordeal to remember where it is and then go get it, thereby lessening my temptation to actually use it..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Saws-all and turkey. Need I say more?
LOL My mother was here for Thanksgiving. She saw my electric knife in the trunk in the salon and suggested I get that out to carve the turkey. I declined stating that that former "kitchen utensil" is now a part of my tool box. I use it to cut foam, like the kind used in bedding, seat cushions, etc. Likewise, I keep a meat fork in the tool box for yanking out the filters in my sea strainers. I can't count the number of times my business partner take the meat fork out and gives it to me to return to the gally (yeah, like I misplaced it THAT badly LOL) and then I remind him of where it's been.
On the other end of that spectrum, he uses my creme brulee torch to melt the waterproof electrical connections together (and so do I!). It works much better than the tool from the hardware store that was designed to melt/seal those connections. I often find my kitchen torch in the tool drawer. So, I chauk it up to being in compliance with Alton Brown's motto, "there should only be one uni-tasker in the kitchen and that's the big red tank" (fire extinguisher)....I have about 20 bottles of those uni-taskers, plus an automatic fire supression system! Another cross-over tool I just love is the infrared thermometer gun. I bought it to measure engine temps, particularly the turbos and coolers and to find "soft" spots in the iron where a higher temp would be showing on a hot engine, indicating wearing of the pipe from the inside out, during sea trials. Now, it's found its home in my galley drawer. I use it to measure pan temps, temps of sauces, candies, water/milk for yeast bread-making, and other food items that have to reach a certain temp. I still occasionally use it to verify the accuracy of my engine gauges. :D
Oh, by the way, I did use an axe and a hammer on a very large smoked ham once. I had a photo, but can't find it now.

success!
thank you..
Great, there isn't anything that we forum members can not solve or do. Singularly or collectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back