Really needing some guidance on using QuickBooks for cc processing with Rezovations.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
NOTE FOR JOHN: I would welcome your input on this topic should you have any.
I promised I would return to give everyone an update as to how the conversion to Rezovation GTO was going for a Mac user. I am still not fully converted because I am really struggling with the mechanics of how to handle credit card processing. For anyone using QuickBooks, I would greatly appreciate your input.
Here's our set-up now:
Run Webervations for online reservation requests.
Run a 50% deposit when reservation is made (manually key cc info into a standard terminal)
Take remaining balance payment when guests check out (swipe cc at standard terminal).
To fully capitalize on the features of Rezovation GTO, using the integrated QuickBooks cc processing is essential.
Here are my questions for those using this now:
Using the Rezovation real time booking engine and QB cc processing, your system will automatically run the deposit and send the guest a confirmation when they make an online reservation. As I understand it, my options for billing the remaining balance (when the guest checks out) are to either let QB run the balance to the existing card (which will result in a higher cc processing fee because it is not a swipe), or to get the QB credit card reader which attaches to your computer...you swipe the card, QB processes it, and you print out a receipt from QB. Am I correct that these are the only two options? Is there an option to use a "standard" cc terminal that is not physically connected to the computer?
Here's our issue: Our front desk and our private office are far from each other. In order to take advantage of the low swipe rate that QB offers, it seems like I will need to have a dedicated computer and printer at my check-out area. This computer will have to be the one that runs my QuickBooks software which I do not want to do...I do my bookkeeping back in our private office, do not want to do it at our reception area, and do not want to leave a computer out in this area that contains this info. I thought I had a way around it, I can just start running QuickBooks on my laptop instead of my desktop, and just take the laptop out to the reception area each morning for check-outs. But this would then mean that when we travel and have someone here running the Inn I will not be able to take my laptop, they will need it to run cc's. I will still need to get an additional printer to keep out in the reception area.
Sorry if this is rambling but I feel like it should be easier somehow, am I missing something?
I appreciate an input, and by the way I missed you all terribly!

Hi and welcome back.
There's a lot of questions here but I will try to get as many as I can. Let me know if I miss any
Using the Rezovation real time booking engine and QB cc processing, your system will automatically run the deposit and send the guest a confirmation when they make an online reservation.
Yes, and this works great! Saves me a ton of time.
As I understand it, my options for billing the remaining balance (when the guest checks out) are to either let QB run the balance to the existing card (which will result in a higher cc processing fee because it is not a swipe), or to get the QB credit card reader which attaches to your computer...you swipe the card, QB processes it, and you print out a receipt from QB. Am I correct that these are the only two options?
I don't think those are your only options. My only hesitancy is that you are using GTO hosted elsewhere and I am using GT on my machine. To my knowledge their should not be a difference, but John can tell me if maybe I am missing something.
I have a $30 usb swipe reader. I swipe the card using RezovationGT. THe data goes into GT and it processes the charge directly. I do not need QuickBooks at all for this. The swiper acts like a keyboard so it should work with GTO (unless a security issue prohibits it). I don't have Quickbooks installed anywhere...it is not needed for this.
The swiper can be used from any machine that you login to using logmein. You could move it around or just purchase a few.
The receipt or folio you just print to your local printer directly from GTO (again, no need to do it from quickbooks)
Is there an option to use a "standard" cc terminal that is not physically connected to the computer?
I'm not sure if this is an option. If it was, I wouldn't recommend it anyway because all your data would be disjointed and not agree with what is in GTO....you'd be doing double entry which increases the possibilty of mistakes and is one of the main reasons for using the payment features within GTO (to simplify things and not have double entry).

Thanks Swirt - couple clarification points. If you would like to email me offline, plz do.
Are you using GTO? Or is it GT installed on something like windows parrallels?
You definitely do not need Quickbooks at all... Rezovation GT does the CC processing on its own - no need for Quickbooks anywhere. So if you have it in your back-office, then that is just fine. As swirt mentioned, you just need a usb card reader - you can plug this into any machine you want that has GT on it/or accesses it.
And no - you don't actually use a standard terminal - that is really one of the key parts of the system - no need to pay for a stand-alone terminal, and everything happens seamlessly/automatically.
In any case - this is the type of thing our support team will walk you through step-by-step. I'm happy to have them call you and I apologize for the confusion - we should be doing a better job communicating this in the first place.

Thanks Swirt - couple clarification points. If you would like to email me offline, plz do.
You definitely do not need Quickbooks at all... Rezovation GT does the CC processing on its own - no need for Quickbooks anywhere. So if you have it in your back-office, then that is just fine. As swirt mentioned, you just need a usb card reader - you can plug this into any machine you want that has GT on it/or accesses it.
And no - you don't actually use a standard terminal - that is really one of the key parts of the system - no need to pay for a stand-alone terminal, and everything happens seamlessly/automatically.
In any case - this is the type of thing our support team will walk you through step-by-step. I'm happy to have them call you and I apologize for the confusion - we should be doing a better job communicating this in the first place..
Insiderinfo is using GTO and a Mac to access it.

In any case - this is the type of thing our support team will walk you through step-by-step. I'm happy to have them call you and I apologize for the confusion - we should be doing a better job communicating this in the first place..
swirt said:
Gotcha - so then any machine that has access to GTO, with or without Quickbooks on it, can process a card. For the best rates, the USB swiper is your best bet, although cards can be manually keyed-in as well.
JB

Thank you both for your answers. I am using GTO.
To be fair John, I haven't talked to your support group on this front yet. It only recently came into the realm of possibility that we could switch to using Intuit for the cc processing so I am trying to determine whether it benefits us to do so or not. In terms of cost, it seems like a good move. In terms of finally being able to use the Rezovation real time booking engine, it's a must, so I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
You both definitely answered the main question, I don't need QB installed on the computer that the card reader will be attached to. Sounds like I just need to access GTO like I usually do via Log Me In. So I will just need to have a computer and printer available at our reception area to process the card and print a receipt, correct?

OK, HERE'S THE NEXT KICK IN THE PANTS:
I just called Intuit to get set up for the integrated credit card processing. It is NOT supported for the Mac QuickBooks software.
So I am back to square one.

I just called Intuit to get set up for the integrated credit card processing. It is NOT supported for the Mac QuickBooks software.
So I am back to square one..
InnsiderInfo said:
No. You want Intuit cc processing. Not QUickBooks. It has nothing to do with your Mac or PC or any version of Quickbooks. It simply creates an account and gives you an id number (a key I think they called it). Then you put the id number into ReozovationGTO and it is all set to go.
The process would literally take only a few minutes except that it takes them a day or two to get verified that the bank routing numbers you give them are actually yours. (that causes the only delay).

Thank you both for your answers. I am using GTO.
To be fair John, I haven't talked to your support group on this front yet. It only recently came into the realm of possibility that we could switch to using Intuit for the cc processing so I am trying to determine whether it benefits us to do so or not. In terms of cost, it seems like a good move. In terms of finally being able to use the Rezovation real time booking engine, it's a must, so I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
You both definitely answered the main question, I don't need QB installed on the computer that the card reader will be attached to. Sounds like I just need to access GTO like I usually do via Log Me In. So I will just need to have a computer and printer available at our reception area to process the card and print a receipt, correct?.
Sounds like I just need to access GTO like I usually do via Log Me In.
Yes, just access it through any computer with Logmein and the swiper plugged in. Then A couple of clicks and a swipe and the payment is made and approved. Print your folio or receipt (which you can fully customise) and you are ready to go.
So I will just need to have a computer and printer available at our reception area to process the card and print a receipt, correct?
AND a USB swiper. The location choice is only limited by your space and your network options (wired or wifi)

InnsiderInfo said:
No. You want Intuit cc processing. Not QUickBooks. It has nothing to do with your Mac or PC or any version of Quickbooks. It simply creates an account and gives you an id number (a key I think they called it). Then you put the id number into ReozovationGTO and it is all set to go.
The process would literally take only a few minutes except that it takes them a day or two to get verified that the bank routing numbers you give them are actually yours. (that causes the only delay).
I just got off the phone with Intuit, trying to apply for a Merchant Account for cc processing.
The rep said they cannot offer cc processing for people who are using the Mac QB software. There are some people who have a dual platform on their Mac, where they can run Windows and the Windows QB software, and they can do the cc processing. I do not have this, I have a Mac with the Mac OS and QB for Mac software. This was the first question she asked me. Maybe I am missing something but I don't think so.
She did say that Mac QB 2010 version WILL be able to offer this. THIS is the big reason I was hesitant to do anything with Intuit in the first place, they force you to upgrade your QB software every two years which is nonsense....the whole reason I got away from Windows and switched to Mac, and Intuit is just as bad.
I hope for my own sake you are right Swirt but this is what they're telling me?

InnsiderInfo said:
I just got off the phone with Intuit, trying to apply for a Merchant Account for cc processing.
The rep said they cannot offer cc processing for people who are using the Mac QB software. There are some people who have a dual platform on their Mac, where they can run Windows and the Windows QB software, and they can do the cc processing. I do not have this, I have a Mac with the Mac OS and QB for Mac software. This was the first question she asked me. Maybe I am missing something but I don't think so.
She did say that Mac QB 2010 version WILL be able to offer this. THIS is the big reason I was hesitant to do anything with Intuit in the first place, they force you to upgrade your QB software every two years which is nonsense....the whole reason I got away from Windows and switched to Mac, and Intuit is just as bad.
When you call, stop using the word quickbooks. It has absolutely nothing to do with quickbooks. It is completely separate.

InnsiderInfo said:
When you call, stop using the word quickbooks. It has absolutely nothing to do with quickbooks. It is completely separate.
Ok, I was able to talk with someone at Rezovation Support who gave me the "proper" phone number to call for Rezovation users. It's all very confusing.
And it IS part of QuickBooks...when you get an account with Intuit Merchant Services for use with Rezovations, they give you a free copy of QuickBooks Pro 2009 (for PC). So I will need to use my old PC laptop, install the PC QB software on it, and use that laptop to access Rezovations to process cc's. It will dump that info into the QB's software on that PC, and I will then need to take that and input it into my Mac QB, which is where I do all of my accounting. So it's not streamlined, but I'm not now anyway and you can get the PC version of QB to save files in Mac format, so they will at least be able to talk to each other.
Look at this link from the Rezovation website, which clearly says QuickBooks Merchant Services:
http://www.rezovation.com/rezovationgt/QBMS-features.html

InnsiderInfo said:
Ok, I was able to talk with someone at Rezovation Support who gave me the "proper" phone number to call for Rezovation users. It's all very confusing.
And it IS part of QuickBooks...when you get an account with Intuit Merchant Services for use with Rezovations, they give you a free copy of QuickBooks Pro 2009 (for PC). So I will need to use my old PC laptop, install the PC QB software on it, and use that laptop to access Rezovations to process cc's. It will dump that info into the QB's software on that PC, and I will then need to take that and input it into my Mac QB, which is where I do all of my accounting. So it's not streamlined, but I'm not now anyway and you can get the PC version of QB to save files in Mac format, so they will at least be able to talk to each other.
Look at this link from the Rezovation website, which clearly says QuickBooks Merchant Services:
InnsiderInfo said:
You do not need quickbooks for the cc processing. I do not use quickbooks..yes they sent me a free copy. I have not unwrapped it from the package. It is not needed. You only need it if you use quickbooks for dealing with all of your other business related stuff. You do not need it for the cc processing aspect at all.

Swirt is correct. It is definitely confusing though - I think they should rename their credit card processing division!
"Quickbooks Merchant Services" is the division at Intuit that process credit cards. You do not need to use Quickbooks to use this service at all.
The Quickbooks software program is a piece of software used for accounting, generally at small businesses. It is great software, but not required in any way to do credit card processing through RezOvation GT and Quickbooks Merchant Services. The folks at Quickbooks Merchant Services have a special going where you get a free copy of the latest Quickbooks software program (which is nice - it isn't cheap), but again, this is not necessary.

Thanks for your help. We put the application through and hopefully are on the way to finally being able to fully utilize Rezovations. To say this has been a confusing process is the understatement of the century.

A website that uses arrival programs rewards mobile coupons customers for checking in employing a range of various social sites. Google Places, Facebook Places, and Foursquare are some of the sites a shopper will use to envision in with mobile marketing once they visit your business. The visit itself might not lead to a purchase, however if customers are offered associate incentive to try and do this you may receive further passbook exposure and new customers is enticed into visiting.

Back