Really? There's a B&B 2 minutes from my house?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, got a booking for 3 rooms from someone who lives 2 minutes away from one the innmates here. They all insisted there was no B&B anywhere near them, except in town. I contacted innmate and told her which B&B the guests told me about- closed. Has been for years.
Today at breakfast I mentioned innmate's place again, by name. No recognition. Gave the address- stunned looks. 'That's 2 minutes from my house.'
So, innmate, they'll be driving by to check out where you are because they're still insisting the only B&B near them is the one that's closed.
Locals have no idea what's in their own backyard. (Me included!)

RIGHT! The dude here a month ago who drives DAILY past an innmates B&B in a small town in this state. RIGHT PAST IT, Prob sits in traffic in front of their sign!
But don't start me on that, people around here have NO IDEA we exist and "Oh when did you open?" The same people you see driving along the road with an electric razor shaving...totally oblivious.

RIGHT! The dude here a month ago who drives DAILY past an innmates B&B in a small town in this state. RIGHT PAST IT, Prob sits in traffic in front of their sign!
But don't start me on that, people around here have NO IDEA we exist and "Oh when did you open?" The same people you see driving along the road with an electric razor shaving...totally oblivious..
Joey Bloggs said:
The dude here a month ago who drives DAILY past an innmates B&B in a small town in this state.
I get that same thing all the time. Anyone who lives in this area goes through our corner all the time. I had someone tell me they have lived less than 10 miles away for more than 8 years and they have never been into our downtown area. Never even driven down the street. It's almost impossible NOT to drive down our main street.

I am lucky in a way being opposite a Huge (and cronically Ugly Holi day Inn) and the conference centre. However on my signiture for my email I have our address and people still email back and say where are you? Trouble is being so close to so many other B&B's and Hotels we just all sort of blend in together (the reverse of the above problem)

I am lucky in a way being opposite a Huge (and cronically Ugly Holi day Inn) and the conference centre. However on my signiture for my email I have our address and people still email back and say where are you? Trouble is being so close to so many other B&B's and Hotels we just all sort of blend in together (the reverse of the above problem).
I'm always nervous about explaining 'where' I am in relation to anything the guest might know...the big hotel? They might go there. The other B&B's? They might go there. The McD's? They think it's going to be loud.

Well you know, now I don't feel so bad that locals don't know about my B&B - if people can't /don't remember seeing one on MAIN Street, how on earth would they remember (if they every knew) that I am off a small side street of a less traveled hwy - out of town.

"I didn't know we had a B & B in town!"
I hear it all the time - and I do just about everything but stand on my head the corner at US Rt 19 spitting nickles!!! I have been on the front page of the local paper, on the local TV news, in both of the papers of the "big" cities to the north and to the south of us. I usually am wearing my B & B apron when I go out (I use the pockets as my purse) , acting as walking billboard (sometimes size is a plus!). I am in my 14th year in town and in most everything - basically I am like crap, I am everytwhere!
And the STILL do not know there is a B & B in town. And yes, this is a huge town - pop. approx 2400.

It is named Christian Louboutin for the reason that man who create Christian Louboutin shoes. At the same time, it's helpful to reduce the risk of injury for the player. If you think your feet should be protected well during the strenuous exercise, the Christian Louboutin Pumps are the right choice for you. There are many Cheap Christian Louboutin Heels from our shop. If you want to learn more informations of those Christian Louboutin Boots, please visite our website http://www.louboutinshopsale.com/. Are you looking for a comfortable shoes? We are ready for you to give you great discount Christian Louboutin Sandals and best service.

If you are looking for a pair of pretty UGG Boots, you shouldn't miss this chance for purchasing UGG Classic Cardy Boots this season in our shop. Ugg Bailey Button would give people such a deep impression. UGG Classic Short Boots appreciate it not only by the high quality with steady innovations but also by its stylish designs. There is no doubt that it could go well with you casual outfits. There are many kinds of UGG Classic Tall Boots for different ages and tastes online. So pick up your own UGG Sandals now.

I can't tell you the number of times local newspapers did a feature on us over the past 14 years. Still, I hear it all the time, "I had no idea there was a B&B in town". We stopped advertising locally because it just didn't work. I did have a local guest stay with me last night though. When I asked him how he found us he said he saw our ad in the local paper years ago. Go figure.

I can't tell you the number of times local newspapers did a feature on us over the past 14 years. Still, I hear it all the time, "I had no idea there was a B&B in town". We stopped advertising locally because it just didn't work. I did have a local guest stay with me last night though. When I asked him how he found us he said he saw our ad in the local paper years ago. Go figure..
That is it C Girl, when you advertised they did not need a B&B, thankfully when they did - you popped right back into their minds. This same thing has happened here. In fact, had a lady come over last week that told me she saw my ad in a flyer years ago (we did that once back in 2001) and she is looking for a retreat for her office. So you just never know -but at the time you think you might as well have flushed the $$ down the toilet for the good it did ya.

Every time we get mentioned in the newspaper all the old timers come out of the woodwork. I start getting phone calls from them wanting to tell me their stories about how they grew up here or asking questions about things changing in the area, etc. Sometimes the stories are good, but typically they just want to rehash all their old childhood memories of people in the area who are dead or families I don't know. These old timers NEVER book a room, but will call and want to talk for an hour.
I guess that's just par for the course when it's the oldest house around. But hey, if it means so much to you, come and pay to stay here.

Every time we get mentioned in the newspaper all the old timers come out of the woodwork. I start getting phone calls from them wanting to tell me their stories about how they grew up here or asking questions about things changing in the area, etc. Sometimes the stories are good, but typically they just want to rehash all their old childhood memories of people in the area who are dead or families I don't know. These old timers NEVER book a room, but will call and want to talk for an hour.
I guess that's just par for the course when it's the oldest house around. But hey, if it means so much to you, come and pay to stay here..
Breakfast Diva said:
I guess that's just par for the course when it's the oldest house around. But hey, if it means so much to you, come and pay to stay here.
Reading this in a weak moment and thinking of these souls reliving the past... your B&B holds fond memories for many...
While this would not provide you with money in your pocket, you may want to consider having a 'open house' or such one week day for these older folks to come together to share their stories with others their own age... Your local paper would be happy to run an article & would also send a reporter to the event to capture the memories in another article... These would be charished memories for not only the towns people but also for your guests that would enjoy reading about things that happened in the B&B years ago.

If these people lived around here, I think that would be a good idea. Most of the folks who have any connection to our property are spread out all over the state and are getting very elderly.
We did host the family member who sold the property 20 years ago to the original innkeepers and we loved that experience.
We are scheduled to have an article about us in a popular magazine that is coming out this winter some time. It will be interesting to see what the response will be from the community and the old timers. If I get a big response from locals, I just might do what you suggest CH. Thanks!

Back