Reappearing stains

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We have a couple of stains on the carpet of 'unknown' origin. Every once in awhile we'll get out the carpet cleaning machine and do a really good cleaning. The stains go away. And then, in a few weeks, the same stain is back in the same place. Not a new stain, the same one. Same shape, same size, same location. Right now the stains have a slightly pink tinge to them.
Have you had a professional cleaning company come in and do carpets? Do you find the stains go and don't come back?
This is just really annoying me. I'm getting ready to start putting down throw rugs again. Or, ripping out the carpet and getting new.

I have something similar in The Maid's Room. I used to spend hours in a panic scrubbing away but now I know they'll disappear again on their own. Seems to have something to do with humidity / weather.

YES! They always come back....
Joey Bloggs said:
YES! They always come back...
Seriously? You're not joking? Whew! OK, have to get the throw rugs out.
Here is what I have done in the past. Frist I called the rug doc. he came and stain left. But a few months later it came back !! grr... So next I tryed Folex it took most away . Then a freind told me about break cleaner where you spray on and leave for a bit then blot . I went yikes break cleaner so for a while I didnot dare give it a whirl.Then guest had make up stain on my nice new sheets she said it would work to take it away. It DID! it's gone . SOOO I thought what have I got to loose trying it on carpet the only problem I was worrying about would it lift the colour out so I tryed in in their closet. Srayed the area then just a spot it.
It did not lift my colour out. So gave it a try LOW and BEHOLD it worked. make sure your room has all windows open and good venting going on. Don't worry the smell does leave.

I have something similar in The Maid's Room. I used to spend hours in a panic scrubbing away but now I know they'll disappear again on their own. Seems to have something to do with humidity / weather..
They never go away on their own, but yes, humidity does seem to make them worse.

Re: Flower's comment:
Do you mean brake cleaner as for cars?
I n e v e r would have thought of that.
Sorry, posted in the wrong place.

What worked for us: Clean with steam cleaner (I have found that using a tsp of white vinegar in BOILING water along with the normal machine cleaner works best). Before the carpet has time to dry, take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the carpet up away from the padding...you should feel and hear it pull away...do this for the entire area of the stain. Put a fan on the carpet to get it to dry. Stain never came back after we did this.

Joey Bloggs said:
Here is what I have done in the past. Frist I called the rug doc. he came and stain left. But a few months later it came back !! grr... So next I tryed Folex it took most away . Then a freind told me about break cleaner where you spray on and leave for a bit then blot . I went yikes break cleaner so for a while I didnot dare give it a whirl.Then guest had make up stain on my nice new sheets she said it would work to take it away. It DID! it's gone . SOOO I thought what have I got to loose trying it on carpet the only problem I was worrying about would it lift the colour out so I tryed in in their closet. Srayed the area then just a spot it.
It did not lift my colour out. So gave it a try LOW and BEHOLD it worked. make sure your room has all windows open and good venting going on. Don't worry the smell does leave.
It is professional strength BRAKE CLEANER I found it in Walmart or Canadian Tire. When I used it on my sheets I stretched the sheet across the top of a jar and then sprayed, left for a bit then blot... then let it dry then when smell left I washed it.

Joey Bloggs said:
It is professional strength BRAKE CLEANER I found it in Walmart or Canadian Tire. When I used it on my sheets I stretched the sheet across the top of a jar and then sprayed, left for a bit then blot... then let it dry then when smell left I washed it.
Thanks. Bet it works great on oily stains.

Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
I loved Greased Lightening on oily stains. Works wonders.

We had a big round circle spot that kept reappearing. We'd steam clean and it would be gone, then back again in a few weeks. We had a pro come in with some pretty high tech equipment. They sprayed with something, then hit it numerous times with their equipement. It's gone!!! It's been almost a year now and it's so great to not have to fight it anymore.
Of course, it was in an area where you couldn't cover it with anything!

We had a big round circle spot that kept reappearing. We'd steam clean and it would be gone, then back again in a few weeks. We had a pro come in with some pretty high tech equipment. They sprayed with something, then hit it numerous times with their equipement. It's gone!!! It's been almost a year now and it's so great to not have to fight it anymore.
Of course, it was in an area where you couldn't cover it with anything!.
That's the next plan...deep cleaning by professionals. Until then, will pop a throw rug over the one big spot and will continue to ignore the others. (This is in my space, so I can do that.)

Joey Bloggs said:
Flower said:
Now, I know I'm not alone. LOL I've always felt that diesel fuel as a cleaner/polish made for the prettiest hardwood floors. But, no I don't mop my floors with it - most people object to the smell. I like it, though. I guess that's why I drew the short straw - I had a fuel spill after refueling last week due to a leaking electric fuel gauge sender fitting...been sopping up diesel in the port engine room all week, so I think I'll try to burn off some tomorrow so I can fix it. Amazingly, I can't smell it until I go in the engine room, so no one even knows it's there.
We got rid of all of the carpet, in favor of hardwood floors, earlier this summer...no more carpet stains for me to fuss over anymore. Yippee!!!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
Penelope said:
NW Natterbug said:
That hasn't worked for us. We end up sending a lot of bed sheets to the dry cleaners. That's the only thing that seems to work.

Back