Rearranging furniture...?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning fellow Innmates. I have been "lurking" in the shadows for a few weeks, enjoying your innsights and comments, and I am amazed at how much we all have in common! We (DH and yours truly) have been inn keeping at our 2-suite plus 1 cottage B+B in coastal NE for 22 years. We have worked out most of the kinks and have systems that work for us…most of the time. Still, there are always a few PITAs that find us each year and it’s good to know that there is a place I can go to let off a little steam. Although we are not new at this job, or perhaps because we are not new at this job, it’s good to learn about how other successful innkeepers manage. I hope to be back from time to time, to add my two cents and ask for advice as needed.
I could not let this post go by without adding my most recent "moving the furniture" catastrophe. One of our suites has a separate sitting room with a new (August 2011) flat-screen HDTV/DVD combo, which is installed with cables, etc on the piano opposite two comfortable chairs. IN October, we had a nice couple, celebrating their wedding anniversary in the suite for 6 nights….good folks, rather high maintenance but otherwise pleasant enough. On their 5th morning, when I was plumping and freshening, I was dismayed to find that they had disconnected all cables, and moved the TV from the sitting room to the bedroom. OH MY!!! After ranting a bit to DH,I calmed down as he assure me that he could reconnect the set for our next guests who would be directly following Romeo and Julliet the next day.
Well you already know the ending. R+J leave after putting TV back on piano but, lo and behold, they leave before they tell us that the TV no longer works. OK, so they must have jiggled something loose…probably not their fault (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) but it would not have happened if they had not moved it. Warranty is in effect. No big deal EXCEPT, new guests (a 90 year old and daughter) MUST have TV for their 3-night stay. We really had to replace this TV immediately and had no choice but to spend the rest of the day and $300 on a new TV/DVD for the suite. (All other accommodations already booked so no chance of moving one of the other sets)
Needless to say, I am not a big fan of moving furniture around in someone else’s house….especially if THEY are doing the moving and it’s MY house! .
Welcome Silverspoon! Jump on in the water's fine. We're glad you are here and look forward to more of your "stories" of which every detail is completely believable by us, not the general public or friends and family, but we have been there done that and "get it!"
welcome.gif

Good Morning fellow Innmates. I have been "lurking" in the shadows for a few weeks, enjoying your innsights and comments, and I am amazed at how much we all have in common! We (DH and yours truly) have been inn keeping at our 2-suite plus 1 cottage B+B in coastal NE for 22 years. We have worked out most of the kinks and have systems that work for us…most of the time. Still, there are always a few PITAs that find us each year and it’s good to know that there is a place I can go to let off a little steam. Although we are not new at this job, or perhaps because we are not new at this job, it’s good to learn about how other successful innkeepers manage. I hope to be back from time to time, to add my two cents and ask for advice as needed.
I could not let this post go by without adding my most recent "moving the furniture" catastrophe. One of our suites has a separate sitting room with a new (August 2011) flat-screen HDTV/DVD combo, which is installed with cables, etc on the piano opposite two comfortable chairs. IN October, we had a nice couple, celebrating their wedding anniversary in the suite for 6 nights….good folks, rather high maintenance but otherwise pleasant enough. On their 5th morning, when I was plumping and freshening, I was dismayed to find that they had disconnected all cables, and moved the TV from the sitting room to the bedroom. OH MY!!! After ranting a bit to DH,I calmed down as he assure me that he could reconnect the set for our next guests who would be directly following Romeo and Julliet the next day.
Well you already know the ending. R+J leave after putting TV back on piano but, lo and behold, they leave before they tell us that the TV no longer works. OK, so they must have jiggled something loose…probably not their fault (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) but it would not have happened if they had not moved it. Warranty is in effect. No big deal EXCEPT, new guests (a 90 year old and daughter) MUST have TV for their 3-night stay. We really had to replace this TV immediately and had no choice but to spend the rest of the day and $300 on a new TV/DVD for the suite. (All other accommodations already booked so no chance of moving one of the other sets)
Needless to say, I am not a big fan of moving furniture around in someone else’s house….especially if THEY are doing the moving and it’s MY house! .
Welcome. Nice to finally meet you.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all better as time goes on. I don't want to hijack the OP and have 3 more loads of laundry to do so I'll post more in a bit. But I did want to say that it is nice to be "out"!

welcome.gif

All my TVs are bolted to the wall. And my DVD players as well. In fact it is my number one argument with my cable/satellite company. They want me to go digital, but none of them have a decoder that can be attached on the wall, they all need a shelf. I point out that even they have the TVs bolted to the wall.... and then have no where to put their own decoders... they agree... hasn't helped!

welcome.gif

We have guests right now who have plugged in their PlayStation2 into our new flat screen. We've got our fingers crossed that it still works after they check-out.
Once we had guests (now on my DNB list) who rearranged our entire cottage, including everything in the kitchen cupboards. Pictures moved, furniture moved, books and most everything in there. Of course they never put things back. The nerve of some people!
Geez, Breakfast Diva, can't believe that!! Crazy! I just can't fathom that people would move anything.

Okay so first mistake all you innkeepers being so hospitable and making guests feel at home. End that and maybe people won't move furniture to suit their needs.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

We want them to be uber comfy so this is what happens. As long as nothing is broken, dented and destroyed...

Okay so first mistake all you innkeepers being so hospitable and making guests feel at home. End that and maybe people won't move furniture to suit their needs.

We want them to be uber comfy so this is what happens. As long as nothing is broken, dented and destroyed....
Or we could just BOLT down the furnishings, like beds, so that they stay where we left them, unless they pull out a screwdriver.
Then again, I did have that nutter that actually pulled out a screwdriver and opened my shower handle (and broke it.) They managed to put it back together, minus one part. And to this day it goes 360 degrees instead of simply 180 degrees. And the company won't sell me the part, they say I have to replace the whole shower handle.

We want them to be uber comfy so this is what happens. As long as nothing is broken, dented and destroyed....
Or we could just BOLT down the furnishings, like beds, so that they stay where we left them, unless they pull out a screwdriver.
Then again, I did have that nutter that actually pulled out a screwdriver and opened my shower handle (and broke it.) They managed to put it back together, minus one part. And to this day it goes 360 degrees instead of simply 180 degrees. And the company won't sell me the part, they say I have to replace the whole shower handle.
Early on we rented the cottage to a couple, one in a wheelchair. Although we had measured the door openings and they fit within the limits they had given us, the openings apparently were not wide enough for the wheel chair. When we did our housekeeping we found that they had taken all the doors off the hinges and had totally rearranged the furniture on the entire first floor. Damage to the doors, in addition to the hours of work, scrubbing the black tire marks off the floors and tile in the shower stall, convinced us that we are not handicap accessible after all.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And the company won't sell me the part, they say I have to replace the whole shower handle.
We just tried to get a part to fix a sink handle. We were told the company only sells to contractors! So, we fixed it with epoxy. If you know any contractors you could ask one to order the part for you. You may find they'll sell it to a contractor.

Early on we rented the cottage to a couple, one in a wheelchair. Although we had measured the door openings and they fit within the limits they had given us, the openings apparently were not wide enough for the wheel chair. When we did our housekeeping we found that they had taken all the doors off the hinges and had totally rearranged the furniture on the entire first floor. Damage to the doors, in addition to the hours of work, scrubbing the black tire marks off the floors and tile in the shower stall, convinced us that we are not handicap accessible after all.
Silverspoon said:
scrubbing the black tire marks off the floors and tile in the shower stall
Gives new meaning to skid marks.
cry_smile.gif

And here's the reason I asked in another thread if the TV's can be bolted down! I don't want to go through this when someone decides the TV would be much better here than there!
welcome.gif

Welcome aboard Silverspoon.
I too had a guest that every day he move my furniture. Finally I had had it.The rug started to look like pock marks. I asked him to please stop moving the furniture around. We donot want you to hurt yourself it clearly was insurance issue. He looked at me and said but I like the chair this way. I smiled and said but this way doesnot work for us and other guests. The whole point here is if you hurt your back or twisted your foot then it is an insurance issue. So Please stop moving our funiture around.

And here's the reason I asked in another thread if the TV's can be bolted down! I don't want to go through this when someone decides the TV would be much better here than there!
welcome.gif

I too had a guest that every day he move my furniture. Finally I had had it.The rug started to look like pock marks. I asked him to please stop moving the furniture around. We donot want you to hurt yourself it clearly was insurance issue. He looked at me and said but I like the chair this way. I smiled and said but this way doesnot work for us and other guests. The whole point here is if you hurt your back or twisted your foot then it is an insurance issue. So Please stop moving our funiture around.
Why were you putting the furniture back everyday when the guest moved it? We leave furniture where the guest places it (unless they've blocked the door!) and just move it where we want it when they leave. No sense aggravating myself and the guest by making more work for all of us!

welcome.gif

Why were you putting the furniture back everyday when the guest moved it? We leave furniture where the guest places it (unless they've blocked the door!) and just move it where we want it when they leave. No sense aggravating myself and the guest by making more work for all of us!
Simply put..... it was marking our plush carpet and steaming did not take all the marks out. Still a few dents left .Next it just was not left in one spot he keep trying new place. As I said this was an issurance issue.
This chair is very heavy with big chunky legs.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And the company won't sell me the part, they say I have to replace the whole shower handle.
We just tried to get a part to fix a sink handle. We were told the company only sells to contractors! So, we fixed it with epoxy. If you know any contractors you could ask one to order the part for you. You may find they'll sell it to a contractor.
We've tried. They just don't sell the part at all. The shower handle still works, it just goes 360 instead of 180.

welcome.gif

Simply put..... it was marking our plush carpet and steaming did not take all the marks out. Still a few dents left .Next it just was not left in one spot he keep trying new place. As I said this was an issurance issue.
This chair is very heavy with big chunky legs.
The guest can sue you for anything they want, I would not worry about them moving furniture. They could trip over the big chair and sue you because you told them not to move it.
Try ice cubes and a fork on the furnidents in the carpet. That works to remove the indents. We have guests move the chairs all the time to get them where they like. At the desk, by the window, next to the bed. The dents in the carpet don't last. The only carpet I have an issue with is a cheap sisal carpet where the furniture has actually broken down the fibers. Never buy cheap sisal where heavy furniture will be.

We are lucky in a way as being a victorian building the doors are the width designed for the extra large dresses they wore in 1906 so are generally 33 inches wide which easily accommodates a standard wheelchair. We are not officially wheelchair accessible but we do have a few guests who can do a few steps in and out but need a wheelchair for further distances which we are happy to accommodate and they leave their chairs in reception. How fricking dare they take the doors off!! I would be seriously charging for that!

Back