Rearranging furniture...?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Reaction score
Ever had guests re-arrange the furniture? They turned the bed ALL THE WAY AROUND in the room. Said they slept better this way (after having slept 14 hrs. straight the first night w/out moving the bed)...

Yes.
and I do this when I go to the state park cabins, every time. The bed faces a closet door and there is this big picture window overlooking a lake or natural setting which is not in view FROM THE BED. I am light depraved "in here" so when I go away (for a week) I turn the bed (but I do put it back) exactly where I found it. These are not antique furnishings however, I would not move anything aged.

Yes.
and I do this when I go to the state park cabins, every time. The bed faces a closet door and there is this big picture window overlooking a lake or natural setting which is not in view FROM THE BED. I am light depraved "in here" so when I go away (for a week) I turn the bed (but I do put it back) exactly where I found it. These are not antique furnishings however, I would not move anything aged..
Joey Bloggs said:
I am light depraved "in here"
I think you mean "deprived"..... or am I wrong?
wedgie.gif

Yes.
and I do this when I go to the state park cabins, every time. The bed faces a closet door and there is this big picture window overlooking a lake or natural setting which is not in view FROM THE BED. I am light depraved "in here" so when I go away (for a week) I turn the bed (but I do put it back) exactly where I found it. These are not antique furnishings however, I would not move anything aged..
Joey Bloggs said:
wedgie.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wedgie.gif
Probably both. haha

Yes, we've had guests move things around. Sometimes it looks better the way they did it, other times I just move it all back.

Once. It was a bed and they moved it in front of the window (headboard butting the window). They did not realize I would be cleaning the room during their stay and apologized the next morning & said they would move it back - nope!
Speaking of reasons for moving furniture, my SIL stated they do not like their bed headboard against a neighboring guest room. She said they always look at floor plans before choosing a room. I still don't get how she would know. How many places show the floor plan layout.

huh...interesting replies. I never would have taken the liberty to move around the furniture in someone else's home & was quite miffed that they had although I had to smile & act like it was a lovely idea... they'll be gone tomorrow.

Not the beds, because they were pretty much on the "bed wall" in our rooms, but sometimes chairs would move. None of our beds were on an adjoining wall with another room, not even our 2 bedroom suite. Although we had a sleep sofa on the same wall in a 2 room suite as the bed in the other room. There were 4 windows in the living room of that suite and only one wall worked for the sofa with all the other furnishings, including the cable connection for the TV (which we had already moved.

Once. It was a bed and they moved it in front of the window (headboard butting the window). They did not realize I would be cleaning the room during their stay and apologized the next morning & said they would move it back - nope!
Speaking of reasons for moving furniture, my SIL stated they do not like their bed headboard against a neighboring guest room. She said they always look at floor plans before choosing a room. I still don't get how she would know. How many places show the floor plan layout..
We have arranged the rooms so no one has a bed abutting another guest room wall. Even if there is a floor plan, it doesn't necessarily mean that the floor plan shows the room layout, it could just show where the rooms are!

Worse case scenario is they uncover those bunnies who are hiding and we don't see them until the furniture is moved. YIKES!
whattha.gif

Worse case scenario is they uncover those bunnies who are hiding and we don't see them until the furniture is moved. YIKES!
whattha.gif
Last Tuesday, as she was leaving, a guest told me someone must have spilled a soda or a cup of coffee that splashed on the wall in the corner by the bed. She said it is no wonder I missed it as she saw it only because she had dropped a kleenex and saw it when she picked it up. Then she said those beautiful words - we will see you in the Spring. And they will as we have the stable....... This was their third year.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Spider webs. Something hiding behind the leg of the bed frame back by the wall. Hate it.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Spider webs. Something hiding behind the leg of the bed frame back by the wall. Hate it.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
That's always the first thing I panic over when I see any furniture moved....oh no, what was under/behind that?!?!?!

Afraid they'd scratch the floors....or leave additional indentions in the carpet.

Oh I am not condoning anyone move anything, but they do. I cannot figure why many times and stand there scatching my head, then other times I think Oh that made sense !

Good Morning fellow Innmates. I have been "lurking" in the shadows for a few weeks, enjoying your innsights and comments, and I am amazed at how much we all have in common! We (DH and yours truly) have been inn keeping at our 2-suite plus 1 cottage B+B in coastal NE for 22 years. We have worked out most of the kinks and have systems that work for us…most of the time. Still, there are always a few PITAs that find us each year and it’s good to know that there is a place I can go to let off a little steam. Although we are not new at this job, or perhaps because we are not new at this job, it’s good to learn about how other successful innkeepers manage. I hope to be back from time to time, to add my two cents and ask for advice as needed.
I could not let this post go by without adding my most recent "moving the furniture" catastrophe. One of our suites has a separate sitting room with a new (August 2011) flat-screen HDTV/DVD combo, which is installed with cables, etc on the piano opposite two comfortable chairs. IN October, we had a nice couple, celebrating their wedding anniversary in the suite for 6 nights….good folks, rather high maintenance but otherwise pleasant enough. On their 5th morning, when I was plumping and freshening, I was dismayed to find that they had disconnected all cables, and moved the TV from the sitting room to the bedroom. OH MY!!! After ranting a bit to DH,I calmed down as he assure me that he could reconnect the set for our next guests who would be directly following Romeo and Julliet the next day.
Well you already know the ending. R+J leave after putting TV back on piano but, lo and behold, they leave before they tell us that the TV no longer works. OK, so they must have jiggled something loose…probably not their fault (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) but it would not have happened if they had not moved it. Warranty is in effect. No big deal EXCEPT, new guests (a 90 year old and daughter) MUST have TV for their 3-night stay. We really had to replace this TV immediately and had no choice but to spend the rest of the day and $300 on a new TV/DVD for the suite. (All other accommodations already booked so no chance of moving one of the other sets)
Needless to say, I am not a big fan of moving furniture around in someone else’s house….especially if THEY are doing the moving and it’s MY house!

Good Morning fellow Innmates. I have been "lurking" in the shadows for a few weeks, enjoying your innsights and comments, and I am amazed at how much we all have in common! We (DH and yours truly) have been inn keeping at our 2-suite plus 1 cottage B+B in coastal NE for 22 years. We have worked out most of the kinks and have systems that work for us…most of the time. Still, there are always a few PITAs that find us each year and it’s good to know that there is a place I can go to let off a little steam. Although we are not new at this job, or perhaps because we are not new at this job, it’s good to learn about how other successful innkeepers manage. I hope to be back from time to time, to add my two cents and ask for advice as needed.
I could not let this post go by without adding my most recent "moving the furniture" catastrophe. One of our suites has a separate sitting room with a new (August 2011) flat-screen HDTV/DVD combo, which is installed with cables, etc on the piano opposite two comfortable chairs. IN October, we had a nice couple, celebrating their wedding anniversary in the suite for 6 nights….good folks, rather high maintenance but otherwise pleasant enough. On their 5th morning, when I was plumping and freshening, I was dismayed to find that they had disconnected all cables, and moved the TV from the sitting room to the bedroom. OH MY!!! After ranting a bit to DH,I calmed down as he assure me that he could reconnect the set for our next guests who would be directly following Romeo and Julliet the next day.
Well you already know the ending. R+J leave after putting TV back on piano but, lo and behold, they leave before they tell us that the TV no longer works. OK, so they must have jiggled something loose…probably not their fault (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) but it would not have happened if they had not moved it. Warranty is in effect. No big deal EXCEPT, new guests (a 90 year old and daughter) MUST have TV for their 3-night stay. We really had to replace this TV immediately and had no choice but to spend the rest of the day and $300 on a new TV/DVD for the suite. (All other accommodations already booked so no chance of moving one of the other sets)
Needless to say, I am not a big fan of moving furniture around in someone else’s house….especially if THEY are doing the moving and it’s MY house! .
And here's the reason I asked in another thread if the TV's can be bolted down! I don't want to go through this when someone decides the TV would be much better here than there!
welcome.gif

Needless to say, I am not a big fan of moving furniture around in someone else’s house….especially if THEY are doing the moving and it’s MY house! .
Its one of the reasons all my flat screens are bolted to the wall limites their ablity to mess about with them. Plus our first flat screen we bought was stood on a chest of drawers and it and the guest disappeared in the night so I learnt my lesson.

welcome.gif

We have guests right now who have plugged in their PlayStation2 into our new flat screen. We've got our fingers crossed that it still works after they check-out.
Once we had guests (now on my DNB list) who rearranged our entire cottage, including everything in the kitchen cupboards. Pictures moved, furniture moved, books and most everything in there. Of course they never put things back. The nerve of some people!

Back