Reason to have All guest register

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This has been the theme of several threads of late. Registered and non-registered guests.
The other morning I checked my messages for any calls I had missed during the night. I had a message from a person clearly panic stricken.
He said he was trying to find his sister who had been abducted and traveling against her will.
The guy provided her name and 2 alias that were being used. But did not provide a description.
He begged to please call the local police.

I guess people could make up much of the info they give at registration. Checking photo ID might help...unless they have fake ID!

Yeah right...how would he know to call you....Sounds like scammer to me. I would never return such a call.

So this brings up an interesting point. Do abductors use hotels/B&B's or would they go to someplace without said video cameras and registration for possible recognition? Like sleeping in the vehicle at a campground or rest stop (although those have security cameras now most of them).
I know here in this state that is was a trucker who turned in a "killer" as they were on the lookout for this at rest stops.
If so, would B&B's and Hotels not be on an amber alert system from the local P.D. or FBI? Seems to me this is unlikely, so they do not send us alerts, or we would discuss here I am sure.
And if not, would someone who is desperate being calling every lodging establishment seeking information on them giving their name and no description? Of course this is why we require a cc, not just a cash payment. Tracking.

Could of been her husband. . ..
So even if it was. Let him call the police. I would never believe anyone calling me like that. And I would never tell them anything. I would be calling the police.

Could of been her husband. . ..
So even if it was. Let him call the police. I would never believe anyone calling me like that. And I would never tell them anything. I would be calling the police.
EmptyNest said:
Yes, agreed. Very suspect. We don't give out any information about our guests, period. We have all had someone calling similar to this from a cheating situation. I remember the woman who stayed here who was tracking "her son" I never bought it for a second. Who the heck knows what she was doing...not leaving a paper trail that was for sure, until she stayed here.

I don't get this. why didn't he call the local police? confused..
I think he was doing what HE felt he could do to help.
The message stated he believed they were traveling in this area. If we have someone by that name to call the local authorities.
Unless an establishment requests ID's from each guest and not just the paying guest, they can provide any name to us.

As a non paying guest I have never been required to provide my ID when checking in. In fact, I don't ever recall being asked for my name at a hotel unless I was the one paying.

I only brought this up as food for thought since others were speaking of non-registered guests.

Yeah right...how would he know to call you....Sounds like scammer to me. I would never return such a call.
He never told me to call him back, he said: Call the police.
I do believe he was sincere in his plea. And if it was sincere, I am sure he also called our local police and I am sure it made Barney's night exciting.
I would have never called him back or shared any info with him. I would have called the police if I suspected this individual to be here.

The message stated he believed they were traveling in this area. If we have someone by that name to call the local authorities.
Unless an establishment requests ID's from each guest and not just the paying guest, they can provide any name to us.

As a non paying guest I have never been required to provide my ID when checking in. In fact, I don't ever recall being asked for my name at a hotel unless I was the one paying.

I only brought this up as food for thought since others were speaking of non-registered guests.
Copperhead said:

A hotel will not give a key to anyone NOT listed on the reservation card should they be asked for a key (I left it in the room). I once cheked ID, address was the same, name was the same so gave key - either wife or first wife because she was NOT the lady with him - no name of lady on the card. From then on, no name on card, no key. Hotels (reputable) are doing that now.

Copperhead said:

A hotel will not give a key to anyone NOT listed on the reservation card should they be asked for a key (I left it in the room). I once cheked ID, address was the same, name was the same so gave key - either wife or first wife because she was NOT the lady with him - no name of lady on the card. From then on, no name on card, no key. Hotels (reputable) are doing that now.
gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

? I am guessing you mean that hotels will not give a key, or open a room for a non-registered (name not appearing on the guest registry) guest if that guest claims they were locked out. THAT is understandable.
But I don't think it is required that every guest of that room is listed. I know that the last few reputable chain hotels I have stayed in never asked for my name when DH registered, and we both got keys!

Copperhead said:

gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

? I am guessing you mean that hotels will not give a key, or open a room for a non-registered (name not appearing on the guest registry) guest if that guest claims they were locked out. THAT is understandable.
But I don't think it is required that every guest of that room is listed. I know that the last few reputable chain hotels I have stayed in never asked for my name when DH registered, and we both got keys!
Copperhead said:
gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

When I check in, typically, they ask if I want one key or two. They don't ask for whom the second key is meant.

Copperhead said:

gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

Exactly - no keys given after check-in unless listed on he registration. If the guest asks for 2 keys at check-in it is assumed they are giving the other key to someone they want to have it.

see, you are kind hearted and want to help.
i would call the police and report his phone call. but you just don't know what's going on from a call like that. and i'm wondering why someone traveling against her will would have two aliases she goes by. and why no physical description if he was sincere.
in any case, i would not/did not give out names of guests to callers. i know you didn't ask that ....
Copperhead said:
This has been the theme of several threads of late. Registered and non-registered guests.
The other morning I checked my messages for any calls I had missed during the night. I had a message from a person clearly panic stricken.
He said he was trying to find his sister who had been abducted and traveling against her will.
The guy provided her name and 2 alias that were being used. But did not provide a description.
He begged to please call the local police.

Copperhead said:

gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

Copperhead said:
gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

When I check in, typically, they ask if I want one key or two. They don't ask for whom the second key is meant.
TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:
gillumhouse said:
Copperhead said:

Right. I have never registered with my spouse or kids, usually just me while I race in to use the facility, as it happens. I get multiple key cards.

Back