Reasons why YOU don't choose to stay at a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm one of those foreign B&Bs.... the antique is the house... no old furniture. I am not a luxury place to stay. I only have one room with a private bath. I have TVs in all the rooms and a DVD player in all but one (in that room, I have a video player instead.)
I do ask people for arrival times, though. I gotta plan my day. But if they ask and want to arrive late, we have an electronic keypad, I can just give them the code and it's done with..
Eric not asking for ANYONE HERE TO DEFEND WHY THEY DO WHAT THEY DO. I am ONLY asking why YOU choose to stay at a B&B. Please do not start the discussion on why we do what we do, feel free to begin a new thread on that topic. Trying to get feedback on what WE look for and why or why not we choose a B&B.
Okay... well, I do stay at B&Bs in foreign countries (outside of the US) and the only reason that I don't generally choose a B&B is that for a single night, I don't want to bother the owner with all the work. Other than that, it's usually my first choice.
When it comes to B&Bs in the US, I don't stay in them as often because they are too expensive and not in the urban locations that I am looking for. I have stayed in those that are more like the foreign B&B type that I run.
That's about as honest as I can be on the subject.

My reasons for not staying at a B & B.
Usually we travel "hit & split" (arrive late & leave early) due to "we must be there tomorrow"!
Few have first floor guestrooms (me included) - DH cannot climb stairs
Cannot afford more per night than I charge.
I resemble JB's #9 (the weird innmate)
In our previous life we did stay at a lot of B & Bs. No food in the cupboard after being told we were to just fix what we wanted and she would do clean-up (4 people pre-paid, not a walk-in), too cluttered with cutsie crap (even on walls of staircase to get bumped by my shoulder and I am short!), event taking place and not informed it would be when I reserved (wedding receptions are not walk-ins), plated breakfast that needed more food on that plate (I am obviously NOT a model - I like FOOD) are the experiences we had that would have stopped us from going to another if I had not already stayed at some really nice ones.
Edited to add: I do get a lot of one nighters and not just with the horses (they do not have a lot of choices). We have even been the first night stop-over on the way to The Homestead. Talk about comparisons!

Well, I'm one of those foreign B&Bs.... the antique is the house... no old furniture. I am not a luxury place to stay. I only have one room with a private bath. I have TVs in all the rooms and a DVD player in all but one (in that room, I have a video player instead.)
I do ask people for arrival times, though. I gotta plan my day. But if they ask and want to arrive late, we have an electronic keypad, I can just give them the code and it's done with..
Eric not asking for ANYONE HERE TO DEFEND WHY THEY DO WHAT THEY DO. I am ONLY asking why YOU choose to stay at a B&B. Please do not start the discussion on why we do what we do, feel free to begin a new thread on that topic. Trying to get feedback on what WE look for and why or why not we choose a B&B.
Okay... well, I do stay at B&Bs in foreign countries (outside of the US) and the only reason that I don't generally choose a B&B is that for a single night, I don't want to bother the owner with all the work. Other than that, it's usually my first choice.
When it comes to B&Bs in the US, I don't stay in them as often because they are too expensive and not in the urban locations that I am looking for. I have stayed in those that are more like the foreign B&B type that I run.
That's about as honest as I can be on the subject.
When I travel to Europe I DO stay at more b&bs. Typically they are the same price or less than hotels and there are more that are located not only in rural areas, but big cities also.

I travel with kids. Period. I can't afford $50 or so extra for them.
I'm afraid I'll be put off by the atmosphere- too granny-ish, dripping Vic...I am NOT an elegant person. I don't want "elegant" when I get away.
If I can't book online, forget it. I'm not wasting my time calling
Chances are, I just want a place to lay my head. I need to get a good night's sleep before the next day of driving.
Don't treat me like my Gen X money isn't good enough, or as good at the Baby Boomer money. I earned mine, too
I don't want to be entertained. I don't want the song and dance. I want to get away.
Just my 2 cents.
Penelope,
We welcome kids. Have porta-crib, high chair, and cots. I usually only charge the $20 cot fee if the kid is a teen or older. Have doilies but not dripping Vic - I ain't cleaning that crap! I need space!

For many years we would go to a B&B to just lay in bed and watch tellie and dot dot dot. That was a real treat for us, as a total getaway. But we typically chose something with scenery so we could just do walks there near the inn and go to dinner and come back, nothing too stressful.
I don't thing taking kids to a B&B is a great idea, never have never will and I have B&B kids, so they know the order of the day. I think kids love to run, jump and be excited. Being able to pick out their own breakfast from a boo-fay, that is what they enjoy.
Which reminds me of the KID that was forced upon us last year at this time. He was a nice little chap and had a high pitched voice that carried on the wings of eagles and ran up and down your spine. I was told off by other guests too, they arrived 10pm in the dark and in the rain, I HAD to let them in. Apparently not. He was not a bad kid either, just had that HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL in place of a voice.
So I am just trying to come to some conclusions, and the answer is really what some people like, others do not. So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it.

I'm afraid I'll be put off by the atmosphere- too granny-ish, dripping Vic...I am NOT an elegant person. I don't want "elegant" when I get away.
Chances are, I just want a place to lay my head. I need to get a good night's sleep before the next day of driving.
Don't treat me like my Gen X money isn't good enough, or as good at the Baby Boomer money. I earned mine, too
I don't want to be entertained. I don't want the song and dance. I want to get away.
Just my 2 cents.
So P, do you choose to stay at them enroute while travelling or as a destination? See that makes a difference in the trip planning. While traveling, it is seldom/never a B&B for us. What percentage of us here have guests who stay with us ONLY as a soft place to fall while traveling vs "to stay here" specifically?
BD This is amazing info here. I like you begin my planning looking at inns, and get so frustrated that I give up and say NO WAY. They make it TOO HARD.
I am listening to all of this. So what you have said, what I say and Penelope has said is it is a special ocassion getaway. We want privacy and also lee-way. So we are feeling a bit "restrained" at a B&B. Interesting! Thanks for the answers so far...this is good stuff!
(I am purposefully leaving out staying with innmates for this discussion, as we are innkeepers and that would throw the results)
If we are traveling, we'll look for a B&B as an overnight. But I never get my hopes up. Too expensive. Time constraints. Too late of a brekkie. I'm paying for brekkie, I'd like to be able to enjoy it. But my biggest thing is that I am so hesitant to spend my money at a place where I'm not certain my hubby will be comfortable. Now, before ya'll jump down my throat, I am more concerned about my hubby's comfort around people. He's NOT the people-person.
I'd like to know what I am getting. I know at a Holiday Inn Express, I am very likely to get a recently built (post-smoking laws) building that is easy to navigate. Websites can be poor and hard to navigate. Photos, ugh. Dark, dreary,
A hotel is probably near where I want to be. And my hubby can get a cuppa before 5.30 (which is when he gets up) and not annoy anyone.
I want to know that I am free, time-wise, to do and go what I want.
I want to be able to get online and book it. No hassle. No rigamorole. No jumping thru hoops. No "innkeeper called me to get my CVV number". That's annoying.

Just my 2 cents.
So P, do you choose to stay at them enroute while travelling or as a destination? See that makes a difference in the trip planning. While traveling, it is seldom/never a B&B for us. What percentage of us here have guests who stay with us ONLY as a soft place to fall while traveling vs "to stay here" specifically?
BD This is amazing info here. I like you begin my planning looking at inns, and get so frustrated that I give up and say NO WAY. They make it TOO HARD.
I am listening to all of this. So what you have said, what I say and Penelope has said is it is a special ocassion getaway. We want privacy and also lee-way. So we are feeling a bit "restrained" at a B&B. Interesting! Thanks for the answers so far...this is good stuff!
(I am purposefully leaving out staying with innmates for this discussion, as we are innkeepers and that would throw the results)
If we are traveling, we'll look for a B&B as an overnight. But I never get my hopes up. Too expensive. Time constraints. Too late of a brekkie. I'm paying for brekkie, I'd like to be able to enjoy it. But my biggest thing is that I am so hesitant to spend my money at a place where I'm not certain my hubby will be comfortable. Now, before ya'll jump down my throat, I am more concerned about my hubby's comfort around people. He's NOT the people-person.
I'd like to know what I am getting. I know at a Holiday Inn Express, I am very likely to get a recently built (post-smoking laws) building that is easy to navigate. Websites can be poor and hard to navigate. Photos, ugh. Dark, dreary,
A hotel is probably near where I want to be. And my hubby can get a cuppa before 5.30 (which is when he gets up) and not annoy anyone.
I want to know that I am free, time-wise, to do and go what I want.
I want to be able to get online and book it. No hassle. No rigamorole. No jumping thru hoops. No "innkeeper called me to get my CVV number". That's annoying.
Brekkie between 4 AM & 10 AM - coffee whenever.

For many years we would go to a B&B to just lay in bed and watch tellie and dot dot dot. That was a real treat for us, as a total getaway. But we typically chose something with scenery so we could just do walks there near the inn and go to dinner and come back, nothing too stressful.
I don't thing taking kids to a B&B is a great idea, never have never will and I have B&B kids, so they know the order of the day. I think kids love to run, jump and be excited. Being able to pick out their own breakfast from a boo-fay, that is what they enjoy.
Which reminds me of the KID that was forced upon us last year at this time. He was a nice little chap and had a high pitched voice that carried on the wings of eagles and ran up and down your spine. I was told off by other guests too, they arrived 10pm in the dark and in the rain, I HAD to let them in. Apparently not. He was not a bad kid either, just had that HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL in place of a voice.
So I am just trying to come to some conclusions, and the answer is really what some people like, others do not. So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it..
Joey Bloggs said:
So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it.
I think it also means there's a time and a place for each type of lodging. It means some of us may need to look over how we do things in order to attract very nice people we would love to meet but who just are not sure what to expect. People who would happily stay at a B&B in another country because it's called something else!
How many of us have read in our guest books or in our reviews, 'This was my first ever B&B and I LOVED it! Thank you!' You rarely see that on a hotel review!
I think B&B's consistently get 5% of the traveling public (is that the right stat?) if we could get 6% it would be major and it wouldn't have to involve getting a lot of people thru the door who are unhappy with what they found.
BTW, those 'first ever B&B' comments run the age range from kids (who love to write in the guest books) to 80-somethings who are having a bit of regret about waiting so long to try this type of lodging.
So, now the topic needs to be- are you planning any changes based on what you read here? I'll go start that one.

So I am just trying to come to some conclusions, and the answer is really what some people like, others do not. So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it..
Joey Bloggs said:
So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it.
I think it also means there's a time and a place for each type of lodging. It means some of us may need to look over how we do things in order to attract very nice people we would love to meet but who just are not sure what to expect. People who would happily stay at a B&B in another country because it's called something else!
How many of us have read in our guest books or in our reviews, 'This was my first ever B&B and I LOVED it! Thank you!' You rarely see that on a hotel review!
I think B&B's consistently get 5% of the traveling public (is that the right stat?) if we could get 6% it would be major and it wouldn't have to involve getting a lot of people thru the door who are unhappy with what they found.
BTW, those 'first ever B&B' comments run the age range from kids (who love to write in the guest books) to 80-somethings who are having a bit of regret about waiting so long to try this type of lodging.
So, now the topic needs to be- are you planning any changes based on what you read here? I'll go start that one.
Alibi Ike said:
I think it also means there's a time and a place for each type of lodging.
Absolutely! I like B&B's and stay in them with my kids... and other times I stay in hotels, cabins, rental houses, or my cousin's couch. It depends on a ton of factors.
=)
Kk.

Why I do NOT choose a B&B for a certain destination, in no particular order: Price too high (especially if it lacks amenities = poor value for price), no in room TV, no WiFi, policies/breakfast time inflexible, unable to book online (I have sometimes bent on that one), too frou-frou in the decor department ( I think I do have a doily bias!
regular_smile.gif
), and accept very young children.
I used to want to only stay in places that were more than a few rooms, but last Fall we ended up staying at one place with 3 rooms and another with only one guest suite. I would have missed staying in a couple of really top notch B&Bs! I booked with those smaller places because they both had very professional websites and online booking and we had fantastic stays.

After this exercise is done here, can you do me a favor and ask your S.O. or DH/DW this same question? Will we be surprised to find different answers from our own?
Here is DH's answer in a nutshell "FREEDOM"
do whatever the heck I want when I want to. his words, not mine. check in check out leave..
The other half? Wants to be able to control the temperature in the room. If it's hot he wants A/C he can control. Or windows he can open. If it's cold, he wants to be able to adjust the thermostat and make it warmer. (He has a heart condition and being cold is painful.)
Price is a problem. But he's good at finding inexpensive places with everything he needs. (For the most part.)
What he likes is how personable everything is. Being able to pop downstairs, get a cup of coffee and read the paper in relative peace and quiet.
And we have individual temp control for the rooms and the bathrooms (want it warm after a shower but the room cool for sleeping) in winter. In summer the bathroom window opens.
Edited to add that a lot of what has been said I have/do. We have had romance, aniiversaries, and honemoons and we have also had kids - but probably because we are so small, usually not at the same time although it has happened once I think but all went well. We have on occasion closed eyes (and mouth) re pets - in winter week nights most of the times and only one freaking (should have known - TINY dog) mutt gave me reason to regret.

Because it takes too long to find my way through the website to find bed types
Because some Innkeepers have no warmth in their voice on the phone

This is how I look at it, as an innkeeper we often just see guests as they come and go and that is that. I want to be thoughtful of the fact that this is the guests hard earned $ and they want to make the best decision with where they stay. Don't you?
So the deciding factor is bigger than some of us realize. Convenience is also a big player. Trip planning itself to GO to a B&B is a diff animal, imo.

YES and breakfast is too LATE, I am out and about early. And NO I don't want the innkeeper up early to cook for me, and me to sit there and eat. So for that, a hotel works better I can zip out and be back if I have a later sleeper in the room.
YES, lack of common areas makes me feel like I am in someone elses house, that is the last thing I want to do, even my own relatives. This is probably a HUGE HINDRANCE to many who want to stay at a B&B but won't pick anything under 6 or 7 rooms!!
What I love is the gardens and attention to detail at B&B's. I appreciate seeing this, all the little tid bits here and there. NOT family photos, the last thing I want is family photos..
JB Lack of common space is a biggie for us too. Also, DH is an early riser, coffee by 5:00am needed, and someplace orhter than the bedroom to sit and drink it. Curious to know, we are thinking of putting vintage photos of people who have stayed there before in frames on the hall or other common area walls. I don't think this would be the same as "family" photos, but would that also be a turn off for youi?

1. We have kids, they travel with us. Most of us/you don't take kids (I know there are exceptions).
  2. Our kids are young enough we're not comfortable with them being in a separate (not adjoining) room - and I've never come across a BnB that can accommodate five people (of any size, no matter how small the people are) in one bedroom.
  3. When BnB does take kids and does have adjoining rooms or a suite, we generally cannot afford it.
  4. Two of my kids have annoying food allergies (annoying because it's a common food that is an additive in tons and tons of even minimally processed foods). One kid's reactions are getting worse instead of better, so we are working to avoid any exposure. Trust me, you don't want us at your table for breakfast.
Since we travel quite a bit, we tend to stay at places where there is a kitchen. Aside from dealing with the whole food allergy thing, it makes it SO much cheaper to feed my children, it seems that at least one of whom is constantly in a growth spurt. Believe it or not, we've come across a few BnB that accept kids and have suite s, complete with cooking facilities availble to guests. Totally outside our budget. In one city, we regularly patronize a very small, downtown, non-chain, family owned hotel where each room (although small) has a full kitchen. They also offer "complimentary breakfast" (which I find extremely icky). I wish I could figure out how to afford to do what they're doing at their rates.

We stayed in three B & B's before we opened ours-and fell in love. Hotels on the other hand as you all said if you're traveling and you just want to lay your head and get up and go on with your drive is why we choose hotels. Pricing is another, other than that-we would go.
Our B&B could be rented as a whole house or individual rooms-=this was a great thing for families coming into the area for white water raftin, biking hiking and the outdoors. We also didn't have the dripping doilies and Vict. decor. We are here in this B & B with lots of vic. decor and we don't get many young people but lots of business travel.
I think that older people without children find it easier to stay and find a B & B than families-with more than 2 kids-thats kind of sad cause I think they are missing a whole lot.

This is how I look at it, as an innkeeper we often just see guests as they come and go and that is that. I want to be thoughtful of the fact that this is the guests hard earned $ and they want to make the best decision with where they stay. Don't you?
So the deciding factor is bigger than some of us realize. Convenience is also a big player. Trip planning itself to GO to a B&B is a diff animal, imo..
Yes, I agree with you somewhat on this idea of giving people good "value", but on the other hand I am tired of the people who act like 2 nights away from home is the biggest event of their lives (especially when they are not willing to put any effort into doing anything for themselves). We are a mid-range B&B, you should expect a very warm and comfortable stay but it will not likely be life-changing, for good OR bad reasons!
Everything we as innkeepers do we are already doing with way more effort, heart and soul than any other type of lodging, and frankly than any other type of business. This country has ZERO customer service ANYWHERE anymore. Everything is a hassle (the grocery store, fast food, fine dining, Costco, Lowe's, the movie theater). Everyone is tired and stressed out and you're lucky if you get acknowledged, let alone smiled at. We provide this warmth to every one who walks in the door, so in my mind we're way ahead of the game to begin with. I am just over people who don't appreciate this.

YES and breakfast is too LATE, I am out and about early. And NO I don't want the innkeeper up early to cook for me, and me to sit there and eat. So for that, a hotel works better I can zip out and be back if I have a later sleeper in the room.
YES, lack of common areas makes me feel like I am in someone elses house, that is the last thing I want to do, even my own relatives. This is probably a HUGE HINDRANCE to many who want to stay at a B&B but won't pick anything under 6 or 7 rooms!!
What I love is the gardens and attention to detail at B&B's. I appreciate seeing this, all the little tid bits here and there. NOT family photos, the last thing I want is family photos..
JB Lack of common space is a biggie for us too. Also, DH is an early riser, coffee by 5:00am needed, and someplace orhter than the bedroom to sit and drink it. Curious to know, we are thinking of putting vintage photos of people who have stayed there before in frames on the hall or other common area walls. I don't think this would be the same as "family" photos, but would that also be a turn off for youi?
white pine said:
No, I think old photos are cool, I am talking about a wall of fame of kids and grand kids decorating a hallway or such. You know the saying about selling your home, how you need to remove all PERSONAL stuff as people looking to buy will be uncomfortable seeing YOUR stuff. I feel the same way in a B&B. Example - this website in VA click here

The question "why YOU don't choose a b&b when you travel" -
  • cost - some places are far more than I would typically spend
  • lack of information and/or online booking
  • location - I prefer 'off the beaten path', prefer the noise of crickets over traffic
  • flexability to come and go (though this is improving)
  • 1 night stays (no time to enjoy the place)
We as innkeepers are a unique group in and of ourselves. While some of our reasons to stay or not to stay at a B&B may be the same as many other marketing groups, we do have destinct reasons ourselves: A couple of innkeeper type answers included: too much to burdon innkeeper for 1 night; innkeeper on vacation but wants to be off
As for being "off" when I travel, I don't wear an "and I'M and INNKEEPER" (pun intended) badge. If I don't tell people that I am an innkeeper then they do not know. I am me and that is all, very seldom does the question arise over breakfast, everyone is too busy talking about what they have done or are going to do to care!

Interesting how many of us say one night is not worth it, and yet many of us have so many one nighters! They plead to stay with us just one night.

Back