Reasons why YOU don't choose to stay at a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how many of us say one night is not worth it, and yet many of us have so many one nighters! They plead to stay with us just one night..
Joey Bloggs said:
Interesting how many of us say one night is not worth it, and yet many of us have so many one nighters! They plead to stay with us just one night.
Could be a couple of reasons why we think one night is not worth it but guests think differently- we really want to enjoy the stay but feel we won't be able to see everything overnight. (Essentially, we know we'll be missing out on a lot so why not just stay at a hotel rather than feel like we paid for something we couldn't enjoy.)
Guests, OTOH, may be headed off for a hotel or campground and want a really nice stay before/after. B&B's are in that category of 'really nice' or 'special event'.
What we need to decide is if we want to be in the 'I need a place to stay and I don't care what it is' category.
Another thing we need to keep in mind is that many, many guests who want to stay for one night or a weekend are spending their ENTIRE year's vacation with us. In one or two nights. So they are going to be very selective about how they spend that money.

DH likes a pool and virtually no B&B have one as realistically they have to be inside in the UK to be used more than about 5 days a year. I like B&B as I am super nosey and want to have a look at what other people are doing. So we take turns picking I get to choose next time woo hoo.

Interesting how many of us say one night is not worth it, and yet many of us have so many one nighters! They plead to stay with us just one night..
Joey Bloggs said:
Interesting how many of us say one night is not worth it, and yet many of us have so many one nighters! They plead to stay with us just one night.
I found a few years ago that sometimes people want to stay with us for a single night as a "splurge." We allow it, but with some very specific rules... My two night minimum is always in place in the summer except where a hole is created. We will release a Friday or Saturday if they are orphaned against another reservation (in other words, if the room is reserved through to Saturday, we releast Saturday night, but if both Friday and Saturday are available, we never seperate them.
And the online reservation discount doesn't apply to a single night, ever. That needs two nights at a minimum, so if they do want the single night, they pay a $10 premium.
I still have my trepidations about single nights... if they are staying elsewhere and it's cheaper, do I really want them staying here, considering that they could be bringing in bugs from that "cheap" place. Also, sometimes they try to bully me into making a specific breakfast that they have read about on the Interenet in a review.
Last year I mistakenly took a single night Saturday reservation and I need to move their room (to a smaller room) to fill another reservation request. I even offered them half off the other room's rate and they refused our kind request. I was upset at the fact that I lost money because of them, I had to turn down a longer and more profitable reservation, because they refused to downgrade. And from that point on, I don't take single night weekend reservations, ever, except for the above rules.

Joey Bloggs said:
I found a few years ago that sometimes people want to stay with us for a single night as a "splurge." We allow it, but with some very specific rules... My two night minimum is always in place in the summer except where a hole is created. We will release a Friday or Saturday if they are orphaned against another reservation (in other words, if the room is reserved through to Saturday, we releast Saturday night, but if both Friday and Saturday are available, we never seperate them.
And the online reservation discount doesn't apply to a single night, ever. That needs two nights at a minimum, so if they do want the single night, they pay a $10 premium.
I still have my trepidations about single nights... if they are staying elsewhere and it's cheaper, do I really want them staying here, considering that they could be bringing in bugs from that "cheap" place. Also, sometimes they try to bully me into making a specific breakfast that they have read about on the Interenet in a review.
Last year I mistakenly took a single night Saturday reservation and I need to move their room (to a smaller room) to fill another reservation request. I even offered them half off the other room's rate and they refused our kind request. I was upset at the fact that I lost money because of them, I had to turn down a longer and more profitable reservation, because they refused to downgrade. And from that point on, I don't take single night weekend reservations, ever, except for the above rules.
I only have mins for special weekends. What I'm not looking for is a whole-house clear out every Sunday morning so we take whatever comes down the pike except for those special weekends. That can mean a whole house check out on BOTH Sat & Sun, but que sera sera.
Right now I am in the midst of call after call for the last room I have open for a holiday weekend. Everyone wants Friday night only. I already messed up and let one person book 2 rooms for Friday only but that stopped as soon as I realized what happened. But everyone else now thinks they can have the last room for one night because they can see someone else did that.
Nope. One mistake doesn't mean a whole houseful of mistakes.

When I am looking for a b and b, I look for what I offer because I want to experience the other side :D
Seriously, the B and B I manage is how I want to experience my home away from home...because truly, isn't that what we are trying to convey to our guests? Make yourself at home?
I want:
1. In room jacuzzi or private hot tub
2. Complimentary wine and cheese hour
3. In room tvs with cable or satelittle -- something where we can watch local news
4. No set going and coming times
5. Pricing that is line with others in the area
6. Add on amentinties -- if I don't want to leave the Inn, have some options for meals...
I

When I am looking for a b and b, I look for what I offer because I want to experience the other side :D
Seriously, the B and B I manage is how I want to experience my home away from home...because truly, isn't that what we are trying to convey to our guests? Make yourself at home?
I want:
3. In room tvs with cable or satelittle -- something where we can watch local news
6. Add on amentinties -- if I don't want to leave the Inn, have some options for meals...
I.
LoveMyCareer said:
I want:
Dude, you have all that stuff at home? I would never leave...
I go on vacation to experience something different - whether it's a chance to be near the water, in an isolated area, visiting some sites/sights I really want to see, tasting food I haven't had before. My list of required amenities is really dependent on where I'm going, what I'm going for and how long I'll stay. My next two-week vacation is a mix of B&Bs, hotels and condo rentals.
I don't have many reasons why I wouldn't stay at a B&B, except maybe sharing a bath. Although I had a perfectly lovely stay at a B&B where I did share a bath - it was with family. But otherwise, it totally depends on what the vacation is about.

I think the big difference betweem me and most of you is that I dont live AT the Inn....nobody does. The owners live off site, the Innkeeper off site, the workers off site....it's the guests and the guests only at night.

I think the big difference betweem me and most of you is that I dont live AT the Inn....nobody does. The owners live off site, the Innkeeper off site, the workers off site....it's the guests and the guests only at night..
LoveMyCareer said:
I think the big difference betweem me and most of you is that I dont live AT the Inn
Aha - that is a big difference. When I stay at other B&Bs, I'm kindof obsessive about finding the room that doesn't have another guest room above it. Because my quarters are beneath a guest room.

YES and breakfast is too LATE, I am out and about early. And NO I don't want the innkeeper up early to cook for me, and me to sit there and eat. So for that, a hotel works better I can zip out and be back if I have a later sleeper in the room.
YES, lack of common areas makes me feel like I am in someone elses house, that is the last thing I want to do, even my own relatives. This is probably a HUGE HINDRANCE to many who want to stay at a B&B but won't pick anything under 6 or 7 rooms!!
What I love is the gardens and attention to detail at B&B's. I appreciate seeing this, all the little tid bits here and there. NOT family photos, the last thing I want is family photos..
JB Lack of common space is a biggie for us too. Also, DH is an early riser, coffee by 5:00am needed, and someplace orhter than the bedroom to sit and drink it. Curious to know, we are thinking of putting vintage photos of people who have stayed there before in frames on the hall or other common area walls. I don't think this would be the same as "family" photos, but would that also be a turn off for youi?
white pine said:
JB Lack of common space is a biggie for us too. Also, DH is an early riser, coffee by 5:00am needed, and someplace orhter than the bedroom to sit and drink it. Curious to know, we are thinking of putting vintage photos of people who have stayed there before in frames on the hall or other common area walls. I don't think this would be the same as "family" photos, but would that also be a turn off for youi?
No, I think old photos are cool, I am talking about a wall of fame of kids and grand kids decorating a hallway or such. You know the saying about selling your home, how you need to remove all PERSONAL stuff as people looking to buy will be uncomfortable seeing YOUR stuff. I feel the same way in a B&B. Example - this website in VA click here
I'll bet I could beat you out the door there!

YES and breakfast is too LATE, I am out and about early. And NO I don't want the innkeeper up early to cook for me, and me to sit there and eat. So for that, a hotel works better I can zip out and be back if I have a later sleeper in the room.
YES, lack of common areas makes me feel like I am in someone elses house, that is the last thing I want to do, even my own relatives. This is probably a HUGE HINDRANCE to many who want to stay at a B&B but won't pick anything under 6 or 7 rooms!!
What I love is the gardens and attention to detail at B&B's. I appreciate seeing this, all the little tid bits here and there. NOT family photos, the last thing I want is family photos..
white pine said:
No, I think old photos are cool, I am talking about a wall of fame of kids and grand kids decorating a hallway or such. You know the saying about selling your home, how you need to remove all PERSONAL stuff as people looking to buy will be uncomfortable seeing YOUR stuff. I feel the same way in a B&B. Example - this website in VA click here
Joey Bloggs said:
I feel the same way in a B&B. Example - this website in VA click here
That has to be the ugliest website I've ever seen.

For many years we would go to a B&B to just lay in bed and watch tellie and dot dot dot. That was a real treat for us, as a total getaway. But we typically chose something with scenery so we could just do walks there near the inn and go to dinner and come back, nothing too stressful.
I don't thing taking kids to a B&B is a great idea, never have never will and I have B&B kids, so they know the order of the day. I think kids love to run, jump and be excited. Being able to pick out their own breakfast from a boo-fay, that is what they enjoy.
Which reminds me of the KID that was forced upon us last year at this time. He was a nice little chap and had a high pitched voice that carried on the wings of eagles and ran up and down your spine. I was told off by other guests too, they arrived 10pm in the dark and in the rain, I HAD to let them in. Apparently not. He was not a bad kid either, just had that HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL in place of a voice.
So I am just trying to come to some conclusions, and the answer is really what some people like, others do not. So what does this mean? This means that not everyone was meant to be a B&B goer. So trying to convince the public they should, well maybe we need to focus on those who do go and do love it..
you just reminded me RATS! someone swiped my Mama Mia dvd last weekend. I knew I shouldn't have put it in with the guest movies. I'll figure out who it was. I would have loved to have stayed in that b & b in Greece.
There is a b & b in this province (about 2 hrs. from here), run by a sole woman whose nickname is "The Duct Tape Lady" No kidding that is how she fixes everything and she tells her guests to turn on the oven and open the oven door (yes in their room) if they get cold.
I just checked out her reviews on TA. 67% against.
The last 5 were headed up "Sorry to Say, NO"; Travellers be warned, Awful, Yuck, Disgusting, A dirty Disturbing Disaster.
Yet, I feel for her. She probably is going through hard times and has no money to fix anything.

After this exercise is done here, can you do me a favor and ask your S.O. or DH/DW this same question? Will we be surprised to find different answers from our own?
Here is DH's answer in a nutshell "FREEDOM"
do whatever the heck I want when I want to. his words, not mine. check in check out leave..
My dh's one word answer was "PRICE". Interesting that he said that since he always felt I should raise the rates! Our least expensive room was $155/night.

As professional innkeepers who spend their waking hours day after day interacting and seeing to an endless stream of guests - its understandable if innkeepers don't necessarily want to stay at - a Bed&Breakfast!
It's ok to want to stay in a clean, quiet, reletively anonymous environment! If I were to stay at a B&B, I'd pick a quiet, out of the way room and ask our venerable hosts to serve us a coffee and roll ensuite!
We try to minimize our interaction with guests as much as possible - welcoming them and giving them as much information as they need as they check in and then - unless they need something else - we're out of their space until breakfast.
I tend to "duck and cover" at inns and b&bs when I travel. Just a nice bed and coffee, thank you, is all I need.
Busman's Holiday.
Green cat

white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I feel the same way in a B&B. Example - this website in VA click here
That has to be the ugliest website I've ever seen.
You are correct...and I am not even sure they are still in business. I pleaded with them to redo that site and that is what they did..it was even worse before. It hasn't been touched in years. You really have to know these folks...it would all make sense LOL!

Reasons I won't return to a B&B
#1 - Cigarette smoke - I hate it!
#2 - Innkeeper (or manager) who dominates the conversation at breakfast and won't allow the guests to get to know each other.
#3 - Noise. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would open a B&B next to an active train crossing, but I'm checking a satellite image close-up of the city map before I book a room in a small town.

#2 - Innkeeper (or manager) who dominates the conversation at breakfast and won't allow the guests to get to know each other.
#3 - Noise. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would open a B&B next to an active train crossing, but I'm checking a satellite image close-up of the city map before I book a room in a small town..
bricks said:
#3 - Noise. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would open a B&B next to an active train crossing, but I'm checking a satellite image close-up of the city map before I book a room in a small town.
What cig smoke? Inns are non smoking, every inn I know, and every inn on this forum.

#3 - Noise. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would open a B&B next to an active train crossing, but I'm checking a satellite image close-up of the city map before I book a room in a small town..
bricks said:
What cig smoke? Inns are non smoking, every inn I know, and every inn on this forum.
Sidetrack alert- I had a dr's appt last week. The nurse opened the door to the exam room and ushered me in. I stopped and said, 'Did someone SMOKE in here?' She said, 'It was the last patient. It was all over their clothes.' How long were they in there? A week?
I told her I had to move to a different exam room, I could not stay in there.
BTW, got those magic zymes. Don't want the op to try them out, but will. I may take that with me in case my hotel room reeks.

bricks said:
Sidetrack alert- I had a dr's appt last week. The nurse opened the door to the exam room and ushered me in. I stopped and said, 'Did someone SMOKE in here?' She said, 'It was the last patient. It was all over their clothes.' How long were they in there? A week?
I told her I had to move to a different exam room, I could not stay in there.
BTW, got those magic zymes. Don't want the op to try them out, but will. I may take that with me in case my hotel room reeks.
I also got the magic zymes. The package came with a little sample bottle - I gave it to a dear friend with a B & B. When I told her what it was for, she i9mmediately went over to her DH like she was going to spray him! Our current resident is a smoker who only lights up on the porch - but I want to be prepared for when they leave since we know it clings to clothes, hair, etc...
Looks as if they may be here another month (they have until May 14 when my sister is coming and she does NOT smoke).

Back