Recession Special?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
So hubby says to me today "We should offer a Recession Special". And upon seeing my 'I don't think so' look, says that everyone's doing it so travelers are expecting to see it.
So I googled and sure enough there are a few Recsession Specials and Recession Buster Specials, but to me it just looks mercenary. Hubby then suggested a "Value Getaway" after seeing the news piece on Starbucks getting on the Value Menu band wagon.
I personally don't like to market on price, but I thought I'd throw this out there for discussion since maybe these strange economic times mean I have to rethink my take on marketing.
Is anyone using the recession in their marketing? Or offering new or deeper discounts? What's your reaction (especially as a guest) when you see "recession-busting" marketing?

OK, for what it's worth...a friend did a special last year that exactly matched the 'rebate' we Americans were supposed to get (we got nothing). Their special hit Yahoo on fine day and they didn't stop answering the phone for 2 months even tho the special was long over at that point and they never actual sold one of the packages!
Soooo, if you get a good package put together, with a catchy name and someone picks it up...watch out!

I would actually like people to not feel the doom and gloom that is weighing so heavy currently, I won't be using that title or term or anything similar. I have seen places cottoning onto stimulate this and stimulate that and it actually irritates me. So my answer is no way no how.
Sing along with me "Come on everbody get happy"

I DID sell one or two (cannot remember but no more than 2) of my Rebate Packages - I do not remember what I called it. I do not think I am going to do any recession named packages but I will probably come up with something that gives bang for the buck. Just have to think of what to do for bang (do not go there!). Now if firecrackers were legal.....

I agree with JBJ...I'd rather try to think of something to celebrate. We have a special going now celebrating our first year in business :) I have a fair number of specials and discounts...I think folks are seeing that they are getting some extra value for their money here.

I agree with JBJ...I'd rather try to think of something to celebrate. We have a special going now celebrating our first year in business :) I have a fair number of specials and discounts...I think folks are seeing that they are getting some extra value for their money here..
Samster said:
I agree with JBJ...I'd rather try to think of something to celebrate. We have a special going now celebrating our first year in business :) I have a fair number of specials and discounts...I think folks are seeing that they are getting some extra value for their money here.
Wow, it HAS been a year, hasn't it? Where does the time go?

I would actually like people to not feel the doom and gloom that is weighing so heavy currently, I won't be using that title or term or anything similar. I have seen places cottoning onto stimulate this and stimulate that and it actually irritates me. So my answer is no way no how.
Sing along with me "Come on everbody get happy".
I agree. Lets invite them to come over to the Sunny Side of the Street as they Look for the Silver Lining instead of Singing in the Rain.

I agree with JBJ...I'd rather try to think of something to celebrate. We have a special going now celebrating our first year in business :) I have a fair number of specials and discounts...I think folks are seeing that they are getting some extra value for their money here..
Samster said:
Wow, it HAS been a year, hasn't it? Where does the time go?
It's hard for me to believe. I have no clue where the time went.....

I don't know what this rebate thing is, but I agree about focusing on positives rather than negatives. I think if there's a potential guest who's decided to treat themselves to a getaway in spite of the economy, I don't want my website to remind them of the recession and maybe give them second thoughts.

I don't know what this rebate thing is, but I agree about focusing on positives rather than negatives. I think if there's a potential guest who's decided to treat themselves to a getaway in spite of the economy, I don't want my website to remind them of the recession and maybe give them second thoughts..
happyjacks said:
I don't know what this rebate thing is, but I agree about focusing on positives rather than negatives. I think if there's a potential guest who's decided to treat themselves to a getaway in spite of the economy, I don't want my website to remind them of the recession and maybe give them second thoughts.
Last year, all Americans were supposed to get between $300-$1200(?) in a rebate check from the gov't. To go out and spend to get the economy going again. I guess it wasn't 'all' because we didn't get a dime. Anyway, the average check was to be $600 so my friends made their package exactly $600 and they got a ton of free publicity about it.

I made my package $400 and my promo was that it left you $200 for spending money when you came.

I am offering 20% off any Reservation of 3 days or longer if paid at time of Booking!
Must pay the total Reservation to get this "Special upfront"
I have got several Bookings so far, and its helping my Business -:)
I also Bid on the Inn of the Month on BedandBreakfast.com and have made 12 times my return on my investment!! Hooray!!

Back