Recipe Sharing Dilemma

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Here’s the scenario. I was googling a scone recipe and found a great food website with beautiful photos. I tried the recipe and the scones were delicious so the next day I posted the recipe on my blog and Facebook page along with a photo from the website. I gave the author of the website credit for the recipe and photo and also posted a link to her site. Today I received an email from the owner of that website kindly asking me to remove the photo and recipe from my blog and Facebook page as she has copyright restrictions. I find that really interesting. If you have a public site and you’re hoping to build a following why in the world would you put restrictions on people sharing it, as long as they are giving you credit? This isn’t the website of a famous chef or celebrity, just someone with a food page. I know I would be ecstatic if someone found me through a recipe I posted if that lead to a booking.

All you can do is what she asks. You could let her know that you were trying to share her site with your many followers and that if she doesn't want the recipes shared she should state that clearly on every recipe. Then say you've removed all links and that you're sorry you offended. Then go on with your life.

I did that here once, posted it and the person was a B&B goer and I figured she would love all the extra people who followed her, and she was rotten to the core, there was nothing copyright worthy on her website, and she was pure ugly about it, so I deleted it all. I was not going to give her any credit at all. I didn't post a photo either, btw, it was only an EXCERPT, then a link to her website.
As a guest she must have been a queen PITA.
Countrygirl, delete the whole thing, don't give her any satisfaction of sharing anything. (Sorry but that is the way I look a it!) I hope she has fun with pinterest...
Oh and one more thing, when I need an image from a website I now do a screen-print OF THE WEBSITE itself, when I really need one and can't borrow it and link back.

Delete the picture, delete the recipe, delete the link.
She doesn't actually have copyright on the recipe, she does on the picture and the instructions. But hey, if she doesn't want you to share with attribution there are two choices...
1. Put the recipe up with completely new instructions
2. Put a link to her recipe, but, I wouldn't give her the satisfaction.
Do a search on google, you will likely find that the recipe was taken from someone else before anyway.

well, she kindly asked so you kindly complied.
delete the whole thing and move on.
dreams of writing her own cookbook maybe.
there are so many new webiqette rules (i think i just created that word ... but DON'T QUOTE ME because i'm sure it's been used before ..haha)
in future, i'd email someone and ask if you can link to their site or share their pictures or whatever. MOST sites have little instructions telling you what they want you to do. some say not to do so without permission.
and, yes, actually ... good luck with not wanting to be shared/quoted because pinterest has exploded. some people go BEGGING for link love. hard to figure why she objected because it's really hard to control. and if she is planning to do a cookbook, what great exposure if people want to share her stuff.

I removed it right away, and she was very nice about it. But it baffles me that someone would NOT want more free exposure, especially when I posted a link to her website. I just find that really, really strange.

I removed it right away, and she was very nice about it. But it baffles me that someone would NOT want more free exposure, especially when I posted a link to her website. I just find that really, really strange..
Country Girl said:
I removed it right away, and she was very nice about it. But it baffles me that someone would NOT want more free exposure, especially when I posted a link to her website. I just find that really, really strange.
Because she has a swollen head.
I have a primadonna here this weekend, an author who has been nothing but a PITA from the start. I just can't wait...But with our full house I also have friends of my parents from Canada who have longed to visit this part of the states...so they will get my focus, NOT the squeaky wheel.
People don't seem to get that faux southern belle fluttering of the eyelids, then pitching a hissy like a little kid does not work on me, I have two kids.
(Sorry to go off, but this thread reminded me of this author, she would be the same I am sure).

I removed it right away, and she was very nice about it. But it baffles me that someone would NOT want more free exposure, especially when I posted a link to her website. I just find that really, really strange..
Country Girl said:
Because she has a swollen head.
I have a primadonna here this weekend, an author who has been nothing but a PITA from the start. I just can't wait...But with our full house I also have friends of my parents from Canada who have longed to visit this part of the states...so they will get my focus, NOT the squeaky wheel.
People don't seem to get that faux southern belle fluttering of the eyelids, then pitching a hissy like a little kid does not work on me, I have two kids.
(Sorry to go off, but this thread reminded me of this author, she would be the same I am sure).
You need to introduce her to my Sheryl! I told a granddaughter she needs to ask her aunt to give her lessons on how to pitch a fit and do the stonewall statue afterward (a favorite tactic of my group). Kids do prepare us for a LOT!

How did she find out that you had shared her recipe? I've often wondered how websites track those sort of things...

How did she find out that you had shared her recipe? I've often wondered how websites track those sort of things....
K9 said:
How did she find out that you had shared her recipe? I've often wondered how websites track those sort of things...
She put the link in her blog which linked back to the original recipe. She also named her by name. You can see on your stats page where your hits are coming from. And you can set up a Google alert for your name so you are notified when your name is used online.

How did she find out that you had shared her recipe? I've often wondered how websites track those sort of things....
K9 said:
Every link we post on this forum can be tracked by the person/owner of the article/photo/link. In fact, many do find us this way, remember a few months ago "Hotel Impossible" well just the words I typed may come up in a Google alert for that show, and if I made that into a LINK someone will check up on it, like Anthony from the show did. :)
Here is something to consider and why blogging is so important. Post a photo and article about Fall Leaves where you are, and then you can see how many people shared it and how they arrived at the blog article. (This is easy to do with the free Blogger.com blog, stats are free with is and easy to use).
PS Just for props I wanted to share our guests from NYC today told me that he wanted me to know he found me via the blog. He said, and I quote "I didn't want to stay anywhere from a travel website, I wanted real people and real info" and so he Googled VA B&B Blogs or maybe put the mountains into the search, and found us.
Meanwhile I got an email/text from them up the road a spell at an Award Winning Winery with 360 degrees views and a fantastic restaurant, he wanted to say they were there and loving it after I recommended it this morning at breakfast.
Blogging works.
It doesn't have to be crazy lengthy articles, just photos, just links and your POV. Your POV is unlike any other, and very valuable K9.

She doesn't actually have copyright on the recipe, she does on the picture and the instructions. But hey, if she doesn't want you to share with attribution there are two choices...
Do a search on google, you will likely find that the recipe was taken from someone else before anyway..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
1. Put the recipe up with completely new instructions.
It is my understanding that anyone may stumble upon a set of ingredients that may have a positive outcome. IE: something that you would like to eat. It is therefore not copyrightable. But the process on how to do it may be.
BBBBob

Do a search on google, you will likely find that the recipe was taken from someone else before anyway..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
1. Put the recipe up with completely new instructions.
It is my understanding that anyone may stumble upon a set of ingredients that may have a positive outcome. IE: something that you would like to eat. It is therefore not copyrightable. But the process on how to do it may be.
BBBBob
Not really. The exact words may be, the process if it is entirely unique, for example molecular cuisine recipes might be. The copyright office states...
Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.
Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying it from an existing work.
So basically the exact wording on how to do it, copyrightable. The list of ingredients and new wording, not. A book of recipes can be copyrighted, but only if you can prove that they are original and not based on recipes from elsewhere.

K9 said:
She put the link in her blog which linked back to the original recipe. She also named her by name. You can see on your stats page where your hits are coming from. And you can set up a Google alert for your name so you are notified when your name is used online.
And you can set up a Google alert for your name so you are notified when your name is used online.
I did set up an alert on my name - and a couple days ago got an alert - on an obit! The middle name was actually a truncation of MY middle name!

Back