Recipes for Two?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsgeorgia

Reaction score
It seems like all my good recipes are for 6-10 people. Anyone want to share any good breakfast recipes just for two people? Trying to lose weight, don't need all those yummy leftovers...Thanks!
Mary Jo

Hmmm... I need some good recipes for 6 to 8!
But can't you just half/third/quarter your recipes, do them up in little dishes, make them smaller?
Eggs Flourentine: spinach, cream cheese, and nutmeg base, topped with cheese and beaten eggs with milk, sprinkle with parsley, bake in ramekins or au gratin dishes.
Egg Bakes: Line greased ramekins or muffin tins with ham or puff pastry or philo dough or wonton wrappers, add cheese, beaten eggs with milk, chives, and bake. Serve with ham or Canadian bacon and mini loaves of bread.
French Toast: Use mini bread loaves, serve with bacon or sausage.
Pancakes or crepes: make only as many as you need and freeze the rest for later.
=)
Kk.

We do pancakes or baked herbed eggs if only 2 guests are in the house. But we only do the eggs in the winter because we post the menu the day before and baked eggs have to be served when they're done, they don't hold well. All that to say that in the summer we get a lot of walk-ins and we can't do a dish that requires that much planning when we don't know how many we'll have.

When I only have 2 people (quite often) I half the muffin recipe (and zip-loc the remaining muffins after breakfast as a "care package for the road"). I have a Pfalzgraff veggie dish that I use for the casserole for an egg bake - use 5 or 6 eggs, a whisk full of sour cream, some chives, and about 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Spray the dish. Whisk the egg mix and pour into the sprayed dish. Put in the oven at the same time as a half recipe of English muffin bread and in about 1/2 hour you have a breakfast ready to serve and hope the guests are on time. Best bet is to time the eggs & bread to be ready about 10 minutes after the breakfast time - time for juice & fruit and pouring coffee.
When doing egg dishes use either a plastic or wooden serving spoon - the eggs will blacken your silver or your stainless - the voice of experience speaks.
I half recipes all the time - no problem.

I do scale back some of my recipes but some of them (like Paula Deen's Praline French Toast) just don't seem to work right with 2 servings. Baked herb eggs sounds great...could you share that recipe, Bree?

For 2-4 people, I often do omelets. One 5-egg omelet (filled with sauteed veggies & grated cheese, then rolled, then cut in half) feeds two people and only takes minutes to cook. Serve with a side of parsley potatoes or sliced tomato or back bacon plus toast.
Pancake and waffle recipes often can be halved successfully. I mix up half-batches of my favourite pancake and waffle recipe dry ingredients and store in ziptop bags. Each half-batch serves two people. I mix up the wet ingredients in the morning and mix the batter. Top with berry sauce or sauteed apples or fresh fruit, serve with your meat of choice on the side.
Eggs Benny and all the many variations work well with small numbers. I make my own hollandaise from scratch so I can scale it down or up as needed. Or instead of hollandaise, do a mustard dill sauce (mix dijon, chopped fresh dill, mayo, sour cream, thin with lemon juice or cream). Or a Beatrice sauce (cook minced shallot in red wine vinegar until soft then finish with butter).

I had 1 guest room for 2.5 years and only had 1 or 2 guests at a time. I still have that most often. So I try to do stove top rather than oven. Also use a toaster oven to bake small batches. Better than the big oven while AC is running anyway.
I buy spiral sliced ham and cut it into steaks and freeze 2 to a package. It is used for a side of ham or cut up for omlette filling. The other meat I use is sausage patties from Walmart frozen precooked. Just mw what I need for a side.
Biscuits and gravey can be made to order. Frozen biscuits and sausage added to white gravey. My recipe is for 2 people.
Pancakes, I use Krustez pancake mix and always get comments on how good and fluffy they are. Served with real butter and real maple syrup.
When I have more than 2 people, I do a quiche in the oven or toaster oven.
Bake bread, muffins or a 9x9 pan of coffee cake.
So I have to gear up when I have more rather than cut recipes for fewer.

Usually omelets and waffles for 1 niters, another easy one is to take premade pie crust, make a little fruit filling with sugar and frozen-thawed mixed berries and make little crostatas, takes about 10 minutes prep and 10-15 minutes to bake...

I'll do individual omelets. I can do a smaller frittata for 2. Waffles for two. Crepes. Even the scrambled eggs on mini croissants Eggs Benedict.
I'm the opposite of Bree, I prefer doing pancakes for a crowd. To me, waffles are easier. I don't make a lot of casserole dishes or quiche, and haven't had a problem. I've had week long single business guests & haven't repeated.

wow! i don't make fancy dishes, just bacon and eggs with biscuits and fruit or waffles with sausage, blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream (all optional of course) or pancakes (buttermilk, blueberry or chocolate chip) or french toast and a side meat, side fruit.

Does anyone have an easy hollandaise sauce recipe?.
Yep .... Knorr's Packaged Hollandaise Sauce. It takes just fine and it works well with .
wink_smile.gif
I would never go to all the trouble to make it from scratch for breakfast.

Yes I do - I'm not at home but I think I can do it by heart:
3 egg yolks beaten
1.5 TB lemon juice
.5 TB water
1 stick butter at room temperature cut in thirds
I get it all ready "mis en place" with the yolks in one little cup and the juice and water in another
You put a bottom of a double boiler on and get the water to a light boil
Turn the heat on lowest and put the top of the double boiler on (I do it this way to avoid cooking the yolks)
Dump in the juice, water and yolks.
Start stirring in the first piece of butter - use a whisk and turn off the heat
As the butter melts put in the second, then the third.
Season with white pepper and salt. Yum!
You can leave it on stove for about an hour but no longer (because of the raw egg)
If it gets too thick toss in a couple of drops of hot water and it will smooth right out.
It's easy to so and you can do it in advance and just stir before using.
RIki

Look at the ingredients list before using the packaged mixes--you might as well swig from a paint can. Scratch is just as easy.
I usually do mine like Riki described, whisking by hand in a bowl over simmering water, although I melt the butter first. I often replace part of the butter with plain yogurt and cut back a bit on the lemon juice. And I always add a tiny dash of cayenne.
Another really easy option is blender hollandaise. Use pastuerized eggs for the yolks if serving to pregnant women or the elderly.
Blender Hollandaise
Process in a blender at high speed: 3 egg yolks, 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, small dash of white or cayenne pepper, pinch of salt.
Melt 1/2 cup butter and heat it very warm to hot. With the blender running, slowly pour the hot melted butter in to the yolk mixture in a slow steady stream. Process for another 20 seconds or until thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning (more lemon juice, salt, or pepper to taste). Keep warm by sitting the blender container in warm water until ready to serve.
If replacing some of the butter with plain yogurt: blend the yogurt in with the yolks and cut back on the lemon juice.

When you get a recipe for Hollandaise...I have a friend who makes a wicked good H sauce at her B&B. She keeps it hot in a small thermos so it's ready to go as guests sit down (she does multiple seatings). You can also use an insulated travel mug with a cover. Sorry I don't know her recipe. She gave hubs a lesson last year, which I totally ignored.

When you get a recipe for Hollandaise...I have a friend who makes a wicked good H sauce at her B&B. She keeps it hot in a small thermos so it's ready to go as guests sit down (she does multiple seatings). You can also use an insulated travel mug with a cover. Sorry I don't know her recipe. She gave hubs a lesson last year, which I totally ignored.
Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.

Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.
Well, I COULD get it but it wouldn't be fair to share it without her permission...maybe I should just get her to stop lurking and join up here!

Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.
Well, I COULD get it but it wouldn't be fair to share it without her permission...maybe I should just get her to stop lurking and join up here!
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
Can you get it??
=)
Kk.
You could ask her first...
=)
Kk.

Look at the ingredients list before using the packaged mixes--you might as well swig from a paint can. Scratch is just as easy.
I usually do mine like Riki described, whisking by hand in a bowl over simmering water, although I melt the butter first. I often replace part of the butter with plain yogurt and cut back a bit on the lemon juice. And I always add a tiny dash of cayenne.
Another really easy option is blender hollandaise. Use pastuerized eggs for the yolks if serving to pregnant women or the elderly.
Blender Hollandaise
Process in a blender at high speed: 3 egg yolks, 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, small dash of white or cayenne pepper, pinch of salt.
Melt 1/2 cup butter and heat it very warm to hot. With the blender running, slowly pour the hot melted butter in to the yolk mixture in a slow steady stream. Process for another 20 seconds or until thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning (more lemon juice, salt, or pepper to taste). Keep warm by sitting the blender container in warm water until ready to serve.
If replacing some of the butter with plain yogurt: blend the yogurt in with the yolks and cut back on the lemon juice.
That is funny how we all have different tastes! My original recipe was 1TB water 1TB lemon and all I could taste was butter, upped thelemon and viola! It tasted just fine to me!
I love the thermos idea, too!
Riki

Back