Recipes needed containing no dairy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of what you really can’t stand ....
my mother and her sister took turns making breakfast for my grandparents. One day oatmeal, next day cream of wheat. For a year! Finally, one day, they were talking and my mother said she couldn’t stand the smell of the oatmeal she had to make for their elderly parents. Her sister said ‘oatmeal?! I can’t stand the smell of cream of wheat that I make for them!’ Haha they made the switch and were happy for about two weeks until my grandmother said she’d rather have Rice Krispies

Speaking of what you really can’t stand ....
my mother and her sister took turns making breakfast for my grandparents. One day oatmeal, next day cream of wheat. For a year! Finally, one day, they were talking and my mother said she couldn’t stand the smell of the oatmeal she had to make for their elderly parents. Her sister said ‘oatmeal?! I can’t stand the smell of cream of wheat that I make for them!’ Haha they made the switch and were happy for about two weeks until my grandmother said she’d rather have Rice Krispies.
I don't like instant oats, I like steel cut. Takes about 5 minutes in the microwave, if you know how to do it.

Degree of difficulty just added: another room contacted us today to let us know they do not eat any fatty foods, eggs, or carbs. These are not issues they had when they made the reservation. Apparently they just looked at the website and saw the menus and decided to let us know they cannot eat any of those things.
I would like to cry.

Degree of difficulty just added: another room contacted us today to let us know they do not eat any fatty foods, eggs, or carbs. These are not issues they had when they made the reservation. Apparently they just looked at the website and saw the menus and decided to let us know they cannot eat any of those things.
I would like to cry..
Non-fat plain yogourt. Israeli breakfast salad. Fruit. Ask what else they eat.

They can have a bowl of fruit. What do they eat at home?
everyone else can have what you planned
dont try to jump thru hoops for these people .... just sayin

I would like to cry..
Generic said:
No yogurt, no eggs, no carbs, no fat. That’s one room.
Two other rooms are no dairy, but please load us up with bacon.
I did ask what they eat but it’s ‘too hard to explain.’
They decided to bring their own food. Now we’re working on explaining there is not a separate kitchen they can use. At this point, I have no idea how they travel or why they travel. I guess they can have salad for lunch and dinner.
i think fruit is ok, but only plain fruit. Which, if I don’t want to make two completely different breakfasts means everyone gets plain fruit. Which I can’t force on everyone else. It’s just not fair.

dont try to jump thru hoops for these people .... just sayin.
seashanty said:
dont try to jump thru hoops for these people .... just sayin
my problem is it’s a group. They will all be sitting together, served together, etc.
i know I need to stop worrying and just let it happen.

yes, but you've already gone to the trouble of finding a recipe for the group ... to now receive this additional bit is too much (in my opinion) yeah, listen to me, i always tried to please.
regular_smile.gif

Mort, everytime I read these sort of posts it makes me happy that we don't serve breakfast, I expect I'd fail. Get to thinking of a Facebook cartoon that says "We have two breakfast choices, take it or leave it". Got to be tough when folks can't or won't tell you what they eat at home, wonder if their hoping that you will force them to eat something the doctor says don't eat, but they really want to eat, then it's your fault that they didn't follow the diet.

I would like to cry..
Generic said:
They decided to bring their own food. Now we’re working on explaining there is not a separate kitchen they can use. At this point, I have no idea how they travel or why they travel. I guess they can have salad for lunch and dinner.
i think fruit is ok, but only plain fruit. Which, if I don’t want to make two completely different breakfasts means everyone gets plain fruit. Which I can’t force on everyone else. It’s just not fair.
Make the Israeli salad, takes about 10 minutes. Serve family style, so others can have it, but serve it to them first. Put fruit basket on table... don't prepare it. Clementines are in season.
The bacon people are welcome to ask for bacon, doesn't make it an imperative on you. Serve a real spanish omelet... or make it in the oven. Fried onions, slices of potato and eggs, baked like your egg pie. Goes well with the Israeli salad, if they want to freshen it up. If you feel like it, bake some bacon. Done! No dairy, everyone gets from the basic food groups and it's over with.

I would like to cry..
Generic said:
Make the Israeli salad, takes about 10 minutes. Serve family style, so others can have it, but serve it to them first. Put fruit basket on table... don't prepare it. Clementines are in season.
The bacon people are welcome to ask for bacon, doesn't make it an imperative on you. Serve a real spanish omelet... or make it in the oven. Fried onions, slices of potato and eggs, baked like your egg pie. Goes well with the Israeli salad, if they want to freshen it up. If you feel like it, bake some bacon. Done! No dairy, everyone gets from the basic food groups and it's over with.
It’s three days. I might try the baked oatmeal the first day. We’ll make the vegan version so no eggs and no dairy. If they can eat that they can have it for the next 2 days, the others in the group will get something else.
The salad sounds good, too.

Mort, everytime I read these sort of posts it makes me happy that we don't serve breakfast, I expect I'd fail. Get to thinking of a Facebook cartoon that says "We have two breakfast choices, take it or leave it". Got to be tough when folks can't or won't tell you what they eat at home, wonder if their hoping that you will force them to eat something the doctor says don't eat, but they really want to eat, then it's your fault that they didn't follow the diet..
Jim - I’m out of practice! I was sick for the fall and Christmas season, then we closed for vacation. I haven’t really dealt with this for 4 months.

Mort, everytime I read these sort of posts it makes me happy that we don't serve breakfast, I expect I'd fail. Get to thinking of a Facebook cartoon that says "We have two breakfast choices, take it or leave it". Got to be tough when folks can't or won't tell you what they eat at home, wonder if their hoping that you will force them to eat something the doctor says don't eat, but they really want to eat, then it's your fault that they didn't follow the diet..
Jim - I’m out of practice! I was sick for the fall and Christmas season, then we closed for vacation. I haven’t really dealt with this for 4 months.
Morticia said:
I was sick for the fall and Christmas season
Hope I'm reading that correctly, that you're feeling better now? I did notice I was seeing your Facebook posts again recently.

Morticia said:
Hope I'm reading that correctly, that you're feeling better now? I did notice I was seeing your Facebook posts again recently.
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
mostly better, thanks! Will be delighted when I’m fully better.

Morticia said:
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
Mort said: mostly better, thanks! Will be delighted when I’m fully better.
WE will be delighted when you are totally well because WE care too.

Morticia said:
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
thanks!

Rice milk and soy milk work in baked goods, though it may require additional fat. Scrambled eggs are fine without butter and cream. There's a great recipe for olive oil scrambled eggs on the web. Try baked fruit with crumble topping, or popover(use crisco for crust;not my fave,but it will work)

If a recipe calls for milk, just substitute water. Works with my baked oatmeal (and I vegan it with 2 Tablespoons of water for the egg)

Shakshouka just does not look good to me. The tomato and egg combo just doesn’t work for me.
Shakshuka goes over really well here also Avocado Toast on DAves Killer Bread with poached eggs on top and also a slice of yummy tomato!

New one for us this year. Egg in a nest with bagels. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray. Half bagels cut side down crack the egg into the bagel hole Season. (We add tomatoes and cheese but it would be fine without cheese.). Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Let set for five minutes.
The original recipe usd everything bagels and topped with feta, tomatoes and olives. You could, of course use whatever herbs and veggies you have on hand. I bet it would be good with mushrooms or spinach.
We are serving it to guests tomorrow.

Back