Reconfiguring rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Not to be confused with rearranging rooms!
I'm considering changing a room from a 3-person room to a 2-person room only. This would involve removing a bed. I could do this in January with no problems as it is not a very popular room so is not booked in advance. Right now, it IS booked into Oct, so no chance of changing it beforehand.
The reason for the change is because we have had a lot of families with little kids in the past 3 weeks and in the one room with 2 beds that is directly over the kitchen all I hear are the kids bouncing off one bed and onto the other. I am assuming this is going on in the other room as well and that room is over another guest room.
Has anyone reconfigured a room to allow fewer guests? What did you do to alert repeat guests that the room no longer holds 3 guests? (It's not a big room with the repeats, so I don't foresee any problems there, but you never know.)
The second bed in the room would be replaced with a nice set of chairs & a reading lamp or 2. There already is a desk in the room.

Morticia said:
The second bed in the room would be replaced with a nice set of chairs & a reading lamp or 2. There already is a desk in the room.
See, that to me, sounds more inviting than the 2 beds. Just MHO, though.

Don't hate me...
You could replace the second bed with a futon... then the second bed is available upon request (charge 'em for it!) but most of the time it's a nice sofa instead.
=)
Kk.

I agree with Emily, I think it will attract more people without the other bed. IMMHO
We did a change a few years ago...went from a sofa sleeper to a daybed, which made the room a 3 person room instead of 4. We have, on occasion placed a rollaway in the room and did that more near the early on in the change then we do now...I think it was more me getting use to the change then it was for repeats. -

Don't hate me...
You could replace the second bed with a futon... then the second bed is available upon request (charge 'em for it!) but most of the time it's a nice sofa instead.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Don't hate me...
=)
Kk.
No hating, just not wanting to have extra sleeping space because then I would HAVE to take children in that room.

Our largest room had a queen and a twin daybed right up until this summer. I took out the daybed to open up the room AND I raised the rate on it. It is now our most popular room, and I don't have to deal with three people in the room. Now, all of our rooms allow only 2.

We did this two years ago. We had a room that had one double bed and one twin bed, it was a nice large room and in occupancy it lagged behind our queen rooms so we put one queen in there. We did have repeats who liked that room because of the two beds, so we were sure to let them know it was changing, with enough time to change their room choice if they wanted to. We can fit a roll-a-way bed in there, so we still have the option for 3 people, but it doesn't get used often.
I would say as soon as you get into your slower time this season, change the wording on your website and change the picture as soon as you can. If this is a not a real favorite with your repeats then it sounds like it might not make much of a difference.

We did this two years ago. We had a room that had one double bed and one twin bed, it was a nice large room and in occupancy it lagged behind our queen rooms so we put one queen in there. We did have repeats who liked that room because of the two beds, so we were sure to let them know it was changing, with enough time to change their room choice if they wanted to. We can fit a roll-a-way bed in there, so we still have the option for 3 people, but it doesn't get used often.
I would say as soon as you get into your slower time this season, change the wording on your website and change the picture as soon as you can. If this is a not a real favorite with your repeats then it sounds like it might not make much of a difference..
Amazing what a bed-size change can do. That same room had a double with the twin. We changed it to a queen with the twin (did that in 2 rooms) and all of a sudden the room was easier to book. It wasn't always the last one chosen anymore. (The second room, not so much different because it was already a popular room.)

I would say as soon as you get into your slower time this season, change the wording on your website and change the picture as soon as you can. If this is a not a real favorite with your repeats then it sounds like it might not make much of a difference..
Amazing what a bed-size change can do. That same room had a double with the twin. We changed it to a queen with the twin (did that in 2 rooms) and all of a sudden the room was easier to book. It wasn't always the last one chosen anymore. (The second room, not so much different because it was already a popular room.)
This particular room is now tied for first! It's really a nice big room, and the PO's took much younger children then we do, so it worked well for them but was working against us.

we have two rooms with one double (ie one big bed for two people) and 1 single (ie 3 foot accross) and they are both popular but for different reasons room 10 has a large 4 poster in which is very popular with couples and has a large bathroom with bath in. The other room 11 is on the ground floor so can be used as a ground floor double or ground floor twin. We very rarely have children so that is less of an issue. Room 11 has zip and link beds so can be used as a triple though I discourage this as it tends to be people wanting a cheap deal and then they compaine it is a bit tight. Can't win them all but mainly kids are a pain I would not be surprised if you let the room more not less.

We purposely configured our rooms to only hold two individuals ( or one really really large one). Since we are and "Adults Only" facility it works out fine for us. The goal is to rent the room not turn it into a clown car.

We purposely configured our rooms to only hold two individuals ( or one really really large one). Since we are and "Adults Only" facility it works out fine for us. The goal is to rent the room not turn it into a clown car..
Proud Texan said:
We purposely configured our rooms to only hold two individuals ( or one really really large one). Since we are and "Adults Only" facility it works out fine for us. The goal is to rent the room not turn it into a clown car.
That is exactly what I say when someone calls and wants to put 5-7 guests in one room...'Clown car alert!' Can you imagine a guest in another room watching 2 parents and 3-4 kids all come tumbling out of the room in the morning? Geez louise people, think about this before you call.
The best one was a high school kid who was throwing a party after the prom. I asked how many in his party (and he took that literally) and said, '22.'

Morticia said:
See, that to me, sounds more inviting than the 2 beds. Just MHO, though..
I also prefer one bed in a room...gives it that B&B feeling. 2 doubles or 2 queens makes me feel like a hotel....
I have one room with 2 twin beds and one with one queen and a pull out sofa ( just in case), but all other rooms just have one queen bed.

Back