Red wine on white beadspread !!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a good example this weekend of the power of the dish detergent & hydrogen peroxide combo.
We were at my in-laws house, sitting on their couch talking and having a bit of red wine. My son came running up to the side of the couch and pushed a ball up over the arm, rest which then hit my hand and spilled wine all over the armrest of the couch, a throw pillow and the sleeve of my dress shirt. it was a LOT of wine .... not just a little drip. :(
I could see a look of panic come over my mother-in-law's face. I asked if she had any hydrogen peroxide. She went to go get it. DW grabbed a towel and sopped up what she could of the liquid. I grabbed a small glass from the cabinet, squirted in some dish detergent, poured in2-3 times as much peroxide and stirred it with a spoon. I used the spoon to dribble the mixture on the stain of the couch (beige fabric) and watched the stain disappear in front of our eyes. (In-laws were very impressed). We used what remained of the mixture onto the white throw pillow and again the red stain disappeared.
They didn't have much peroxide left so we didn't bother to treat my shirt ... so I threw the shirt in my suitcase. Two days later when i was unpacking, I dabbed a bit of straight hydrogen peroxide on the bottom corner of the blue shirt just to make sure it would not bleach the color from the shirt. It didn't, so I mixed up some more dish detergent and peroxide in a glass , then swabbed it onto the stain on my shirt with a q-tip. All the stain disappeared.
So the only damage done was the loss of all the wine (no laughing matter LOL)
To my knowledge this mixture only works for red wine or grape juice..
Cool beans!! Always nice to be a genius before the in-laws.
gillumhouse said:
And to have them actually recognize that genius is even better!
AMEN!

Had a good example this weekend of the power of the dish detergent & hydrogen peroxide combo.
We were at my in-laws house, sitting on their couch talking and having a bit of red wine. My son came running up to the side of the couch and pushed a ball up over the arm, rest which then hit my hand and spilled wine all over the armrest of the couch, a throw pillow and the sleeve of my dress shirt. it was a LOT of wine .... not just a little drip. :(
I could see a look of panic come over my mother-in-law's face. I asked if she had any hydrogen peroxide. She went to go get it. DW grabbed a towel and sopped up what she could of the liquid. I grabbed a small glass from the cabinet, squirted in some dish detergent, poured in2-3 times as much peroxide and stirred it with a spoon. I used the spoon to dribble the mixture on the stain of the couch (beige fabric) and watched the stain disappear in front of our eyes. (In-laws were very impressed). We used what remained of the mixture onto the white throw pillow and again the red stain disappeared.
They didn't have much peroxide left so we didn't bother to treat my shirt ... so I threw the shirt in my suitcase. Two days later when i was unpacking, I dabbed a bit of straight hydrogen peroxide on the bottom corner of the blue shirt just to make sure it would not bleach the color from the shirt. It didn't, so I mixed up some more dish detergent and peroxide in a glass , then swabbed it onto the stain on my shirt with a q-tip. All the stain disappeared.
gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
Hey how is your DH doing? Out of recovery and in a room yet?

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
Because he went IN with an infection 9 days ago AND his history, he is residing in ICU for the night. The nurse called me when he woke up and I went back. They let me stay as long as I wanted to - 3 hours was plenty. He will go to regular room tomorrow. It is the first time I ever recall seeing his polio foot PINK!! I am thinking of charging the hospital for training class exhibits (lol). As usual, he is a training tool - this is what polio looks like and this is what it does and this is post-polio syndrome. He was a training tool when he had it back in 1952 also because instead of taking out one side of his body, his crossed over and took out his right hand & arm and his left leg. THAT is what blanced him!

Just tell them that they can work off the training fee by sending referrals to your inn!
So glad to hear he'd doing well enough to be moved to a private room after just 1 day in ICU. Hope you're able to get some rest now that the worst is over.

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
Because he went IN with an infection 9 days ago AND his history, he is residing in ICU for the night. The nurse called me when he woke up and I went back. They let me stay as long as I wanted to - 3 hours was plenty. He will go to regular room tomorrow. It is the first time I ever recall seeing his polio foot PINK!! I am thinking of charging the hospital for training class exhibits (lol). As usual, he is a training tool - this is what polio looks like and this is what it does and this is post-polio syndrome. He was a training tool when he had it back in 1952 also because instead of taking out one side of his body, his crossed over and took out his right hand & arm and his left leg. THAT is what blanced him!
Both my husband and his sister suffer from post-polio syndrome.

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
DH is now using 2 crutches - but he is still moving. The 2007 bypass was especially hard on him. Prior to that he was sometimes using just one and that was only in the year prior. As long as his mind works and he can draw and paint, he will be OK. I hope it is a very slow mover for your family members.

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
DH is now using 2 crutches - but he is still moving. The 2007 bypass was especially hard on him. Prior to that he was sometimes using just one and that was only in the year prior. As long as his mind works and he can draw and paint, he will be OK. I hope it is a very slow mover for your family members.
We all have stuff to handle is how I look at it. My sil had 2 knee replacements at a relatively young age and my dh sucks it up. I am a very positive person. Life with our loved ones is a gift. After my brother (who is 59) went through life-threatening surgery about 2 months ago, we will join him around a table with a total of 12 of us for Easter supper on what would have been my Mom's 92nd birthday. Life is good..... :)

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
We all have stuff to handle is how I look at it. My sil had 2 knee replacements at a relatively young age and my dh sucks it up. I am a very positive person. Life with our loved ones is a gift. After my brother (who is 59) went through life-threatening surgery about 2 months ago, we will join him around a table with a total of 12 of us for Easter supper on what would have been my Mom's 92nd birthday. Life is good..... :)
My mom celebrated her 95th on Monday. We won't be home for Easter but she is always in my thoughts.

gillumhouse said:
AMEN!
My mom celebrated her 95th on Monday. We won't be home for Easter but she is always in my thoughts.
Glad to hear your Mom is doing OK. I know you've had some challenges. That is incredible that she is 95!!
We've really side tracked this red wine discussion........ ;-)

Latest suggestion I heard from someone who had a really bad red wine explosion occur thruout a guest room, was to use white wine on the stain. But Riki always recommends Wine Away (I think that's the name)..
Morticia said:
...Riki always recommends Wine Away (I think that's the name).
I put in the rooms a couple of pairs of really cheap white terry slippers that I get from Innstyle for $2/pair, and I've been throwing them away if they're used. But I've been wondering if they'll stand a trip through the washer and dryer. A couple of weeks ago I had a pair a guest left with a big red wine stain on them. I pitched them aside with the plan to test Wine Away on them next time I had a bunch of cleaning rags to wash.
So I tried it today. A test of Wine Away on a 2-week old stain, and a test of how the cheap slippers would come through the laundry process. The came out with no sign of the wine stains, and looking great! Don't how many washings they will make it through before they show some wear, but at least I know now that I can wash and reuse them at least once. And I know Wine Away definitely works!!

ummm ... why did this old post appear? because ark had a wine stain?

Latest suggestion I heard from someone who had a really bad red wine explosion occur thruout a guest room, was to use white wine on the stain. But Riki always recommends Wine Away (I think that's the name)..
Morticia said:
I put in the rooms a couple of pairs of really cheap white terry slippers that I get from Innstyle for $2/pair, and I've been throwing them away if they're used. But I've been wondering if they'll stand a trip through the washer and dryer. A couple of weeks ago I had a pair a guest left with a big red wine stain on them. I pitched them aside with the plan to test Wine Away on them next time I had a bunch of cleaning rags to wash.
So I tried it today. A test of Wine Away on a 2-week old stain, and a test of how the cheap slippers would come through the laundry process. The came out with no sign of the wine stains, and looking great! Don't how many washings they will make it through before they show some wear, but at least I know now that I can wash and reuse them at least once. And I know Wine Away definitely works!!
The new washers and dryers like you have take a long time to do their thing, but they are much more gentle. I have noticed that even kleenex come through the wash almost intact when left wadded up in a pocket. So definitely don't throw those slippers away.
(I would not recommend re-using kleenex, however)

seashanty said:
Yep. I remembered the old discussion of Wine Away and decided it would be better to add my info to that discussion than to start a separate thread on the subject.
Plus, I just love to go back in time and see posts by Don Draper (can't remember the pseudonym she used before that, but she had one), Farmer's Daughter, Morticia, etc.

Morticia said:
The new washers and dryers like you have take a long time to do their thing, but they are much more gentle. I have noticed that even kleenex come through the wash almost intact when left wadded up in a pocket. So definitely don't throw those slippers away.
Innkeep said:
But nice to know I can if I really need to. I DO have an iron :)

seashanty said:
Yep. I remembered the old discussion of Wine Away and decided it would be better to add my info to that discussion than to start a separate thread on the subject.
Plus, I just love to go back in time and see posts by Don Draper (can't remember the pseudonym she used before that, but she had one), Farmer's Daughter, Morticia, etc..
oh, okay
glad to know it's not because someone has been in here spamming in old threads
thumbs_up.gif

Arkansawyer said:
seashanty said:
Plus, I just love to go back in time and see posts by Don Draper (can't remember the pseudonym she used before that, but she had one), Farmer's Daughter, Morticia, etc.

Back