Red wine on white beadspread !!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I was cleaning rooms and discovered one that had red wine all over the side of the white bedspread...the $200 white bedspread!!! And it had been there for awhile. (somehow previously overlooked?!) It's soaking now...but has turned to 'blue' and I'm sure it's not coming out. How to handle this one...?

i've had a lot of luck with bathroom cleaners with bleach. they seem to do the best, for me, with getting out stains on whites. all my linen is white and that's what I use when I have stubborn stains.
and how in the heck do you keep a white bedspread clean! oh-vay!

Latest suggestion I heard from someone who had a really bad red wine explosion occur thruout a guest room, was to use white wine on the stain. But Riki always recommends Wine Away (I think that's the name).

FD, this works every single time: mix 1/2 woolite and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide. Pour onto stain, let soak for at least 30 minutes. Sponge off repeatedly until all the soap has been removed. The wine will come out with it.
It works, really, with any kind of liquid detergent. Do NOT store it but mix it right before using.
Sometimes it may take a few repeated treatments but generally will take the whole stain out in one treatment if you get it quickly enough.
If you can get to the stain before it dries, it's always a good idea to cover with salt and let the salt pull the wine out of the fabric. But if it's too late for that, the woolite/peroxide mix really works.

Rikki swears by wine away. That is what I would use. She knows wine.

I think one of the main ingredients in Wine away is Hydrogen peroxide. I'm not sure if Wine Away will work if it's been there a while. I'd try soaking it in several of the options offered. I know people say that it takes several times soaking to get some stubborn stains out.
RIki

We use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent. it comes out almost immediately .... like right before your eyes.

Latest suggestion I heard from someone who had a really bad red wine explosion occur thruout a guest room, was to use white wine on the stain. But Riki always recommends Wine Away (I think that's the name)..
The white wine on the red wine only works if it JUST spilled and is still wet...and then I always have to point out that now you've lost TWO glasses of wine....you can see where my priorities lie
teeth_smile.gif

I fear that this one is a goner. Its been treated with peroxide and soaked. Some of the stain came out, but still is visable. It goes to the cleaners tomorrow and then to my apartment if stain is still visible.
Ya win some and ya lose some. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I fear that this one is a goner. Its been treated with peroxide and soaked. Some of the stain came out, but still is visable. It goes to the cleaners tomorrow and then to my apartment if stain is still visible.
Ya win some and ya lose some. Thanks for all your suggestions..
Peroxide alone will not do it. you have to mix the peroxide with dish detergent. It is also not a soaking thing, that just dilutes the action.
Let the item dry (you could even use the dryer).
For a large stain use 1 cup hydrogen peroxide to 2 table spoons dish detergent. For smaller stains just use a capful of peroxide to 2 drops of detergent.
small stains, we just swab it on with an ear swab. Larg stains we spray it on with a sprayer. We have had a lot of wine accidents here over the years, and this has always worked. The only time you can't use it is if the fabric will change colors from the peroxide. (you have to mix it up fresh each time)

Ya win some and ya lose some. Thanks for all your suggestions..
You have to mix the peroxide with liquid detergent. Woolite is good but any liquid soap will do.
If it doesn't come out the first time, treat again. It sometimes take a few treatments but it will come completely out.

How ironic...a guest came to breakfast this a.m. saying she spilled red wine on the white carpet in her room last night, said it was too late to call me when the spill occurred. I'll try the dish deterg. plus hydrg perxide thing first.

Not that I expect it to ever work ... but I have a small bottle of Wine Away in the guest closet and try to point it out to them in case of a spill. Another good spot would be under the sink if you have one that has a cabinet.
The idea is that the guest spills the wine, and is afraid to call or feels it's too late - but remembers the wine away. Even if they use the whole bottle at least the stain would be treated right away.
I think the majority of folks want to do the right thing, and if they had something on hand will be more apt to 'fess up in the morning if they were able to treat it.
RIki

How ironic...a guest came to breakfast this a.m. saying she spilled red wine on the white carpet in her room last night, said it was too late to call me when the spill occurred. I'll try the dish deterg. plus hydrg perxide thing first..
Tom you can't believe the number of fine rugs and carpets that I've used that formula on. It always works, just a question of how many times it has to be repeated to get out completely.

Good idea/suggestion, Riki
When I went into the room after they checked out I strangled a curse. They led me to believe there was a small spot..instead there was this "blood trail" , about 3 feet long from the table to the trash can where the wine bottle was placed. 45 minutes of the hydrgn. perox treatment has the carpet looking good again.
Thanks for all the input. .

Good idea/suggestion, Riki
When I went into the room after they checked out I strangled a curse. They led me to believe there was a small spot..instead there was this "blood trail" , about 3 feet long from the table to the trash can where the wine bottle was placed. 45 minutes of the hydrgn. perox treatment has the carpet looking good again.
Thanks for all the input. ..
YEA that it came out!!!!!
Riki

Had a good example this weekend of the power of the dish detergent & hydrogen peroxide combo.
We were at my in-laws house, sitting on their couch talking and having a bit of red wine. My son came running up to the side of the couch and pushed a ball up over the arm, rest which then hit my hand and spilled wine all over the armrest of the couch, a throw pillow and the sleeve of my dress shirt. it was a LOT of wine .... not just a little drip. :(
I could see a look of panic come over my mother-in-law's face. I asked if she had any hydrogen peroxide. She went to go get it. DW grabbed a towel and sopped up what she could of the liquid. I grabbed a small glass from the cabinet, squirted in some dish detergent, poured in2-3 times as much peroxide and stirred it with a spoon. I used the spoon to dribble the mixture on the stain of the couch (beige fabric) and watched the stain disappear in front of our eyes. (In-laws were very impressed). We used what remained of the mixture onto the white throw pillow and again the red stain disappeared.
They didn't have much peroxide left so we didn't bother to treat my shirt ... so I threw the shirt in my suitcase. Two days later when i was unpacking, I dabbed a bit of straight hydrogen peroxide on the bottom corner of the blue shirt just to make sure it would not bleach the color from the shirt. It didn't, so I mixed up some more dish detergent and peroxide in a glass , then swabbed it onto the stain on my shirt with a q-tip. All the stain disappeared.
So the only damage done was the loss of all the wine (no laughing matter LOL)
To my knowledge this mixture only works for red wine or grape juice.

Had a good example this weekend of the power of the dish detergent & hydrogen peroxide combo.
We were at my in-laws house, sitting on their couch talking and having a bit of red wine. My son came running up to the side of the couch and pushed a ball up over the arm, rest which then hit my hand and spilled wine all over the armrest of the couch, a throw pillow and the sleeve of my dress shirt. it was a LOT of wine .... not just a little drip. :(
I could see a look of panic come over my mother-in-law's face. I asked if she had any hydrogen peroxide. She went to go get it. DW grabbed a towel and sopped up what she could of the liquid. I grabbed a small glass from the cabinet, squirted in some dish detergent, poured in2-3 times as much peroxide and stirred it with a spoon. I used the spoon to dribble the mixture on the stain of the couch (beige fabric) and watched the stain disappear in front of our eyes. (In-laws were very impressed). We used what remained of the mixture onto the white throw pillow and again the red stain disappeared.
They didn't have much peroxide left so we didn't bother to treat my shirt ... so I threw the shirt in my suitcase. Two days later when i was unpacking, I dabbed a bit of straight hydrogen peroxide on the bottom corner of the blue shirt just to make sure it would not bleach the color from the shirt. It didn't, so I mixed up some more dish detergent and peroxide in a glass , then swabbed it onto the stain on my shirt with a q-tip. All the stain disappeared.
To my knowledge this mixture only works for red wine or grape juice..
Cool beans!! Always nice to be a genius before the in-laws.

To my knowledge this mixture only works for red wine or grape juice..
gillumhouse said:
And to have them actually recognize that genius is even better!

Back