Redirecting a Page

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
All of you folks who have done this for new websites - I remember that there is a right way and a wrong way to redirect a page so that you don't lose its history and/or weight, but don't remember what it is. Can someone point me to a resource for that? (not for my inn website but for another event website that we host). Thanks!

http://www.howto301redirect.com/
Your DH should know which one of those sets of directions he wants if he's doing the swap.

Yes there are two ways, one is bad and one is good. The recommended is the bad one usually. I can't recall now which is which. I am sure Empty has the correct one.

Is it done in Wordpress? If so, I use "safe redirect" PLUG IN. Or you can See here.
Not Wordpress. A relatively simple 4or 5 page site in HTML (My DH won't use fancy-shmancy things like that). It is avoiding the oft-recommended but bad for seo direction I want to avoid.

301 redirect done at the server side, not the client side (javascript)

301 redirect done at the server side, not the client side (javascript).
swirt said:
in other words, done in your root level .htaccess file....
Harborfields said:
Sort of. But not that specific. Everyone's setup is different. .htaccess is only a method on a linux server.
If it is a linux server, it only has to be done at the root level, if the item being redirected is at the root. If the item is one or more directories deep it is better to do the .htaccess in that directory so that the server doesn't have to process a whole slew of redirect directives at the root if the directory is not even a partial match.

301 redirect done at the server side, not the client side (javascript).
swirt said:
Harborfields said:
Sort of. But not that specific. Everyone's setup is different. .htaccess is only a method on a linux server.
If it is a linux server, it only has to be done at the root level, if the item being redirected is at the root. If the item is one or more directories deep it is better to do the .htaccess in that directory so that the server doesn't have to process a whole slew of redirect directives at the root if the directory is not even a partial match.
right; I always think of the apache server as being universal, and yes the redirect should in the .htaccess file of the directory of the page that is being re-directed.

Back