Refrigerator Wars

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingace71

Reaction score
I seem to have this battle with guests all the time. They think the little dorm sized fridge in their room is supposed to be a frozen little ice box. They go in the room, load it up with hot stuff, turn it up all the way, or they come in the office complaining it’s not working right because they stuck their hot hand in there and it “didn’t feel cold”. They turn them up all the way, leave the door open all weekend, then I have to defrost it often. I have started replacing them with costlier freezer-less models but they seem to complain about those more since they can’t “feel the coils being cold”. Ugh. Drives me up the wall!
Anyone else deal with this?

We have to defrost ours all the time because our guests "crank it up to 11" trying to fast-cool hot objects. Then they leave and we end up with cakes of ice all over the inside of the unit.

Solution: We've started buying only units where the thermostat dial inside can be pulled off, so they can't screw with it.

We only had one mini fridge for everyone to use. It generally worked out well with no one turning up the dial. One group stuffed the freezer with wine, didn’t close the door, and we had frozen wine and broken glass all over in the morning.

Other than a few people who thought the one fridge was just for them and filled it with a week’s groceries, we didn’t have too many problems.

i like the idea of removing the dial.

Thanks, I‘m going to try removing the dial! We try to avoid a lot of “signs, signs everywhere signs” and I hate to preach to people or parent (even if they need it!), but a note inside the fridge that says something like “don’t touch, risk of electrical shock” Ha ha!

Thanks, I‘m going to try removing the dial! We try to avoid a lot of “signs, signs everywhere signs” and I hate to preach to people or parent (even if they need it!), but a note inside the fridge that says something like “don’t touch, risk of electrical shock” Ha ha!
Altho I find the ‘electrical shock’ danger sign amusing I’ll let you know that a remarkably angry guest once took a picture of the totally bland note I posted on MY fridge about guests keeping out of this space and milked it for sympathy on a review site. Same guest took my chipper informational comment about the remote for the gas fireplace not having a thermostat to turn it off as an indication I wanted him and his family to die (also using that in one of his many bad reviews).

It appears not everyone ‘gets’ humor. And if they’re already upset by something this will tip them over the edge. I have a cousin who travels with a mini tool kit to help him bypass things like water flow restricters, thermostat covers, etc. (They’re out there, those people!)

Paint the dial to hide the numbers, maybe a little glue so it doesn't turn?

We have a mini fridge (Medium Sized) in the breakfast room for all guests to use. We put ice in the freezer etc... All of our Suites have a fridge - small dorm sized - we have never had a complaint. I wonder why so many of you are experiencing so many issues. We where not in the business prior to this - I wonder if that has something to do with it?? I find the problematic posts very interesting. We are in upstate New York - western Finger Lakes area with a Suny College in town. College parents are cool - never tip though - vacationers are pleasantly surprised at our accommodations and do tip. Problem Guests are a very small part of the business. I would be happy to speak to anyone if they would like - I don't feel it's an accident or good luck - Just - PPPPPPP - proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance - that's our moto. 585-243-5570 -Jay and Margie - oakvalleyinngeneseo.com call anytime to speak!!

We have a mini fridge (Medium Sized) in the breakfast room for all guests to use. We put ice in the freezer etc... All of our Suites have a fridge - small dorm sized - we have never had a complaint. I wonder why so many of you are experiencing so many issues. We where not in the business prior to this - I wonder if that has something to do with it?? I find the problematic posts very interesting. We are in upstate New York - western Finger Lakes area with a Suny College in town. College parents are cool - never tip though - vacationers are pleasantly surprised at our accommodations and do tip. Problem Guests are a very small part of the business. I would be happy to speak to anyone if they would like - I don't feel it's an accident or good luck - Just - PPPPPPP - proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance - that's our moto. 585-243-5570 -Jay and Margie - oakvalleyinngeneseo.com call anytime to speak!!

Some of us have been in this business a LONG time. Part of it is location and proximity to certain areas. People get boxes for left-overs and then left the over in the guest fridge - happens almost always and everywhere. I am in a small city in West Virginia and celebrate 25 years Saturday and so few less than good guests that they are not a blip. You can plan and prepare all you want - guests are like kids - THEY FORGOT TO READ YOUR SCRIPT!!

@Jay Curci I think this comes up on a regular basis—some locations seem to draw more different types of guests, and thus more different experiences for the innkeepers. I used to regularly get the PITA award for the most ridiculously obnoxious guests. Then the Hilton opened around the corner and they all went there instead. We settled into a nice lull with just the 1-2 guests every year who waited too long to make a reservation and were ‘stuck’ staying at a b&b. There was no changing their attitude that they were getting second best. Every little thing that was not a hotel experience was a source of aggravation for the guest—no bar, no fridge in the room, no front desk, no breakfast buffet, you name it they were going to complain about it.

OTOH, we converted a fair number of these guests to happy Inn goers who never went back to the hotel and tried b&b’s in other locations. But, that’s all on the shoulders of the guests. Some were willing to be open, others were just crabby the whole time.

Yes, some innkeepers don’t plan ahead and set expectations right from the first interaction. Most of us here, however, are seasoned professionals. Or, we’re helping the newbies get to that point. Then we get to retire and be happy we’re not getting up tomorrow morning to swelter in the kitchen in 90 degree temps while six different guests spring on us the fact that they can’t eat anything we’re preparing even tho we just asked them yesterday if there was anything they couldn’t eat. And so it goes on…

@Jay Curci I tend to agree. We don't get many guest issues, also agree with Gillum, they don't read or listen to instructions, can't really change the guest so a problem is an opportunity for me to learn how to avoid that issue in the future. My job is to help the guest enjoy their stay, some make me work harder than others, but the majority are enjoyable.

That's a good attitude and will serve you well. Learn your lessons, try not to repeat them and move forward. "Helping Guests enjoy there stay."
That's our job. When you do get a skeptical Guest and convert them to our Industry it is very gratifying - it shows we are doing our jobs well.

I have one for guests, with a glass door. I want to see if they leave things.
On the fridge/freezer is a sign reminding them of the location of said fridge. As well as a note saying that we assume anything in this fridge, is now ours.

Back