Refunding so room can be put on a different card

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
OK, so far this week we've been asked to refund the deposit and put it on a different card. This is with guest standing in front of me saying they don't actually HAVE the other card they will look it up online and then tell it to me. So, TWO charges with card not present. Another one they kept calling and saying they wanted to pay for a little bit more of their stay like it was a layaway. Three other times this week we've been asked to refund so the guests can 'split the check'. For Pete's sake, one of you can't just buy dinner a couple of times?
So, what I need: wording for confirmations and online that states we need to know ALL of the credit card numbers they want to use in advance, as there are no refunds for 'check splitting'.
Don't say just refuse to do it. The last time we refused we got a crappy review and DH won't go down that road again.
(I did refuse to do it today and I got the stink eye from a guest who we tried to get to stay elsewhere. The guest who wanted me to refund and put it all on another card that wasn't even on their person also got told no.)

I try to joke it off by saying "Every time I touch that machine they charge me a ton of $$". Really, the deposit is a done deal, they can do whatever combo of cash/credit cards/check they like for the balance due at check out but I always say we don't keep their cc #'s from the deposit and there will be a charge to look up what card they used.

I try to joke it off by saying "Every time I touch that machine they charge me a ton of $$". Really, the deposit is a done deal, they can do whatever combo of cash/credit cards/check they like for the balance due at check out but I always say we don't keep their cc #'s from the deposit and there will be a charge to look up what card they used..
Donald Draper said:
I try to joke it off by saying "Every time I touch that machine they charge me a ton of $$". Really, the deposit is a done deal, they can do whatever combo of cash/credit cards/check they like for the balance due at check out but I always say we don't keep their cc #'s from the deposit and there will be a charge to look up what card they used.
The review folks even commented on how we said it was too much trouble to reverse the charges. I think I said it was too expensive!
Given we are very explicit that a deposit is charged, why the heck don't people figure this out in advance?
Like you, I don't care if they hand me 4 credit cards at check-in but don't ask for a refund so you can split it up differently.
(DH DID refund $20 tonight so they could split the rest of the bill 3 ways. Really? You couldn't figure this out on your own?)

Deposit is a done deal. If they want, we'll do the math for them to figure out how to split payments on balance due so that the total is split fairly.
You might double check your merchant account agreement/guidelines -- I think I remember seeing one that prohibited splitting the check across multiple cards...

Refunds (of any kind) other than cancellation will incur a charge of 5% to cover processing charges.
Payment: Full payment due on arrival. We accept cash or charge (card must be present.) No refunds for late arrival or early departure.

Deposit is a done deal. If they want, we'll do the math for them to figure out how to split payments on balance due so that the total is split fairly.
You might double check your merchant account agreement/guidelines -- I think I remember seeing one that prohibited splitting the check across multiple cards....
Harborfields said:
You might double check your merchant account agreement/guidelines -- I think I remember seeing one that prohibited splitting the check across multiple cards...
I have told guests in the past that this is what each of them owe to the person who did the deposit. Or, the person who paid the deposit owes $10 on the balance and the rest of you owe $100. Or however it works out. Why these guests couldn't each give their friend $10 I don't know.
I'm not sure about check-splitting from the merchant standpoint because restaurants do it all the time. They don't like it, but they do it. So, I doubt anyone would believe me if I told them that.

Sighing here as I am just thinking all the things we have to add to our confirmation letters these days. And of course it won't be read and then they will complain anyway!
'The credit card provided will be used for your deposit, with the balance due on arrival per our policies. Refunds other than for cancellations will be charged ___% to cover processing fees.'

Can't they just split the total and then deduct the deposit from who's ever bill paid the deposit. That's what we do. Had that this morning.

On our old card swipe machine, transactions were stored on the machine until you submitted a batch. You could cancel a transaction from the machine at no cost if you got to it before submitting the batch.
We now use Sq uare and there is no penalty to the merchant for issuing a refund.

On our old card swipe machine, transactions were stored on the machine until you submitted a batch. You could cancel a transaction from the machine at no cost if you got to it before submitting the batch.
We now use Sq uare and there is no penalty to the merchant for issuing a refund..
The deposit was done months ago. Not the same day.

We now use Sq uare and there is no penalty to the merchant for issuing a refund..
tedwin said:
We now use Sq uare and there is no penalty to the merchant for issuing a refund.
Right, IF I just ran the transaction I cancel it.
OTOH, most processors don't charge to refund but they are supposed to refund the initial fees to you which none of them do. So, I paid $5.12 to run the deposit. No charge to refund. I'm supposed to get $5.00 of that back. I don't. And then I have to run TWO or THREE more transactions for one stinking room. So, let's say everyone has a rewards card...
That's another $5.12 for EACH of those transactions. Now I'm in the hole for $20.60 for ONE room. C'mon people. Over the course of this week alone that would have been about $80 just to rerun transactions that already took place.
So, yeah, adding the processing fee might cover that.

How often does this really happen Maddie? Unexpected stuff happens in people's lives sometimes in between reserving their room with you and arriving there for their stay. And maybe just maybe it was a financial thing where they had to use that particular credit card. Who knows? I don't know...this just seems like the cost of doing business when you take credit cards. Stuff happens...

How often does this really happen Maddie? Unexpected stuff happens in people's lives sometimes in between reserving their room with you and arriving there for their stay. And maybe just maybe it was a financial thing where they had to use that particular credit card. Who knows? I don't know...this just seems like the cost of doing business when you take credit cards. Stuff happens....
Samster said:
How often does this really happen Maddie? Unexpected stuff happens in people's lives sometimes in between reserving their room with you and arriving there for their stay. And maybe just maybe it was a financial thing where they had to use that particular credit card. Who knows? I don't know...this just seems like the cost of doing business when you take credit cards. Stuff happens...
Whenever we have 2 unrelated people in the room. ie- girlfriends traveling together. Or if one person books all the rooms, pays the deposit and then wants it back when they check in.
Refunding a deposit that is 4-5 months old just doesn't make any sense to me at all. That money is looooong gone.
Just got a call for 5 rooms on one card. I specifically asked if they wanted it all on one card. 'Sure, it's easier that way.' We'll see when they get here...

How often does this really happen Maddie? Unexpected stuff happens in people's lives sometimes in between reserving their room with you and arriving there for their stay. And maybe just maybe it was a financial thing where they had to use that particular credit card. Who knows? I don't know...this just seems like the cost of doing business when you take credit cards. Stuff happens....
Samster said:
Whenever we have 2 unrelated people in the room. ie- girlfriends traveling together. Or if one person books all the rooms, pays the deposit and then wants it back when they check in.
Refunding a deposit that is 4-5 months old just doesn't make any sense to me at all. That money is looooong gone.
Just got a call for 5 rooms on one card. I specifically asked if they wanted it all on one card. 'Sure, it's easier that way.' We'll see when they get here...
It would be at that point in the conversation I would tell the person that they will be responsible for any adjustments from the other guests. Let them know up front.

Back